Squats (or alternatives) for people with bad knees

Options
I've played sports K-12 but I chose to lose weight once graduating. It has been a battle, but I really think I have it this time. *crosses fingers*

I've grown up my entire life and I would always sit in cross-leg position. Always. Chairs, floors, anywhere. I think it has hurt the development and shape of my knees lol. I never squatted much in football due to the fear of hurting my knees (especially as a large man of 360lbs), so I have difficulty squatting in a normal position. I'm very aware of the proper form because of my athletic background (even though I worry football weight lifting is different than weight loss weight lifting lol).

I really want to start shaping up my butt and thighs, mainly my butt haha. Can I do wide stance squats with my feet pointing outwards? Those don't hurt my knees and I can do those well.

Question is: ^ that and what are alternatives to getting a bubble butt? I don't mean to sound vain, but my family is gifted with nice lower bodies, and although I think my lower body is "okay" right now, even with a lot of weight, I want to form muscle enough to feel confident. After all, weight loss and muscle building is for confidence and a healthier life hehe ^_^

Thank you guys so so much <3

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Honestly, squatting is actually the best thing for bad knees as it will build up the muscle supporting the joint. I see no problem with trying out the wide stance more - you'll really hit your hamstrings with those.

A good alternative for building your butt are hip-thrusts - google Bret contraras (the glute guy)
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I had difficulties with my knees and for awhile could ONLY do very wide squats. Once my muscles strengthened I could do them slightly more narrow and slightly deeper. I also really needed to stretch my hips before doing squats. I find that get them stretched and warmed up makes a WORLD of difference. I also enjoy doing lunges, I just make sure to do them slowly and really watch my form. I do more holds and pulses than I do full up-and-down movements. I don't know that I am getting equal benefit (probably not) but it won't jack up my knee
  • cammythom
    Options
    I recently had knee menisectomy and tibial osteotomy and have graduated from 4 months of PT. One of the best things you can do for your knees is strengthen your glutes and quads. Try clamshells, bridging, exercise band X walk, slide board lunges reverse and side ( don't let knee roll in), walking lunges, one legged lunges with back foot on a chair or bench, leg press, glute kickbacks and lawnmowers.

Most of these exercise can be found easily with a google search except for lawnmowers so I will explain it. Using the pulley machine set at ankle height, balance on one leg and with alternating hand holding the handle and pull back slowly like you are starting a lawnmower then return to start position (don't let knee roll in) Repeat 10-15 x.

For slide board lunges you can use a furniture mover/slider sold at Walmart,Target ,Lowes.
  • joneallen
    joneallen Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Widen your stance, and push from your heels. That will take pressure off your knees. If you find yourself pushing with your toes, it will really hurt your knees.

Squats are fine for people with bad knees. Just ease into the weight, and you'll be fine.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Have you actually squatted and had it hurt your knees? Reading your OP it sounds like you haven't but you think they might. Squats are usually okay for dodgy knees, but of course it's hard to say because even though you wrote a lot of words, you failed to describe anything about what's going on with your knees or experiences you've had while squatting or other things you've tried in your efforts to attain a bubble butt.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    PT's have had me doing for my knee recovery:
    Squats
    Lunges
    Step ups
    Box jumps
    Leg extensions
    Leg curls

Done properly, a squat is good to go. However, since I'm sure OP you didn't go to medical school yet and picked up your MD, it might be a good idea to let a pro diagnose what's up with your knees. Talk to a sports PT if you're really concerned, lest you neuter your training for no reason.
  • jwolford90
    jwolford90 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    Have you actually squatted and had it hurt your knees? Reading your OP it sounds like you haven't but you think they might. Squats are usually okay for dodgy knees, but of course it's hard to say because even though you wrote a lot of words, you failed to describe anything about what's going on with your knees or experiences you've had while squatting or other things you've tried in your efforts to attain a bubble butt.

I'm not sure if this is directed as condescending or not, but my original post was just seeking help for the worry of hurting my knees while forming muscle in my quads and glutes.. I was unaware that I should've specified in extreme detail. My worry is that when I try traditional squats, my knees hurt quite bad and I worry that I will injure them, so my goal is to try and do lower body exercises with alternative exercises to prevent injury.

Also, thanks so much to everyone that actually gave tips and advice. I truly appreciate it very much. I will incorporate many of those exercises into my routine now for sure :) It's very exciting to know I can find help on a positive forum :)
  • jwolford90
    jwolford90 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    joneallen wrote: »
    Widen your stance, and push from your heels. That will take pressure off your knees. If you find yourself pushing with your toes, it will really hurt your knees.

Squats are fine for people with bad knees. Just ease into the weight, and you'll be fine.

Thank you! I will definitely try this

• dbmata
    Options
    Get a trainer and learn proper form.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    You could also do wide stance squats to a box that is just slightly above parallel. I've never met a person who couldn't do those without knee pain unless their form was absolute shiite.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    This video series lays it out pretty clearly. Watch the entire series. While you're at it you should probably watch the "So you think you can bench" and "So you think you can deadlift" video series because you probably aren't doing any of the lifts properly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ME8gEN54Ao&amp;list=PLD7BE939BB32B4CAB
  • dbmata
    Options
    Those are damn good serieses.

Hm, is that right? What the hell is a multiple of a series? /toolazytogoogle
    #hashtag