Calories or exercise?

Options
I have been using mfp and rowing machine at home since early November. Mfp set calories at 1200. Was managing well but last few weeks been struggling with being run down. Means not exercising as much and feeling quite rubbish. Upped cals to 1300 but still not great.

Is it better to eat more cals so that I can work out most days? Or lower cals with less exercise?

Basically better to eat 1300 no exercise or 1450/1500 then exercise on top (not eating back any cals).

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    It is always better to exercise.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    If you're using MFP as designed, you're supposed to eat more when you exercise...

"better" is a very relative term. I'm partial to exercise regardless...exercise is very good for your overall health and well being in general.
  • AMcSta
    AMcSta Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I think it's the comments on these forums re not eating back cals that I've taken on board. So I may eat a bit over 1300 when burning 270 cals but worried about eating all of 270 back.

Weight loss also been good. 14 kg in 2.5 months. Understandably it is slowing down. I guess I'm scared about eating more and stalling.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    With as little weight as you have to lose, make sure your account is set up to 1lb per week or less. And you should eat back at least a portion of your exercise calories or look into the TDEE method.
  • AMcSta
    Options
    Still have nearly 2.5 stone left to go. I have changed my settings as suggested though. Saying 1400. Then perhaps I can eat half cals back from exercise. Will that still work?
  • psuLemon
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Potentially.. Do you use a food scale? And how are your logging practices? Can you open your diary?
  • AMcSta
    Options
    I am very OCD about my eating since starting this. Got a good digital scale and weigh everything! Including butter on toast and even measures ml of milk in cereal.
  • AMcSta
    Options
    Have just tried opening diary.
  • mbcieslak87
    mbcieslak87 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I definitely would suggest looking into TDEE - 20% - for me it has just been a game changer!

I have used MFP's methods of 1200 or so calories plus eating back 75% of my calories and I did lose, but like you I always felt run down and hungry and just kept thinking when will it end. I ended up resenting that I had to keep such meticulous track of my calories.

Recently I've switched over to TDEE - 20% and its wonderful because it allows you to eat a bit more and it averages in your weekly average exercise, so instead of having to guess how much you'll exercise each day and therefore how much you'll be able to eat, it just takes the average For me, this makes it soooo much easier to plan my week and grocery shop.

It's not for everyone but if interested, check out this website - it really helped me and it makes it easy to play around with to see what would happen if you exercise more or lose weight, etc.
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

My only suggestion would be to underestimate your exercise, at least at first until you feel it out.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    AMcSta wrote: »
    Have just tried opening diary.

The main thing I would change is add more protein. Most days you are around 50g which isn't a lot. Generally, I see most women around 100-120g per day to achieve 1g per lb of lean body mass.

What's your current workout routine?
  • AMcSta
    Options
    Woah!! This is saying 2230 to lose 0.5kg. That's crazy!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You should fuel your workouts and yes that means eating back your exercise calories
  • psuLemon
    Options
    What is your height and weight? And workout routine?
  • AMcSta
    Options
    I do 30 mins of rowing 6 days a week. Generally running around after a toddler on top of that. But last few weeks struggled with the exercise. Trying to get that back in track.
  • AMcSta
    Options
    164 cm. 68.4 kg. 30 mins moderate intensity 6 days a week.
    Sorry. Looked again and I put old weight in. It's saying 1992 which still feels quite high?!

I have under active thyroid. Did little to no exercise before starting mfp. Historically have gained weight very easily.
  • mbcieslak87
    Options

That does seem like a lot but I don't know your height and weight. For me (at 143 lbs, 5'6", 1-3 hours of light exercise a week) I can eat about 1550 (TDEE-20%) a day during the week and about 2000 (maintenance) on the weekends, and still at a healthy pace.
  • mbcieslak87
    Options
    I also do about 30-60 mins of exercise 6x days a week (3x days cardio - combo of running and walking for 60 mins and 3x days strength training - Stronglifts 5x5) and I enter the 1-3 hours of exercise a week because I'd rather underestimate my burn than overestimate until I give it 4-6 weeks to really average out.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    164 cm. 68.4 kg. 30 mins moderate intensity 6 days a week.
    Sorry. Looked again and I put old weight in. It's saying 1992 which still feels quite high?!

I have under active thyroid. Did little to no exercise before starting mfp. Historically have gained weight very easily.

Well an under active thyroid can definitely affect your results as it tends to lower your metabolic rate and total daily energy expended. Low TDEE or maintenance calories is the reason you gain easy. It's just easy to go over that number especially if you aren't exercising. That is assuming no medication is stabilizing things.

Honestly, I would drop the daily rowing and pick up a weight training routine that will work more muscle groups, especially a routine that is focused on compound moves. It may be beneficial to check out the new rules of lifting for women, starting strength, strong curves or even the lean muscle diet. They all have solid routines that will give you great results. These generally have 3 full body routines, so you could cardio or HIIT on non weight training days.

If I was you, i would set a standard calorie goal, monitor for 4-6 weeks and adjust up or down based on actual results. I would probably start with 1600 calories with 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fats. If you lose a lb a week, your maintenance would be around 2100.
  • AMcSta
    Options
    Thank you. I need to google most of the words regarding weight training. It really isn't something I knlw about. My rowing machine is on a decent level of resistance and I developing good muscle tone in arms and legs.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Thank you. I need to google most of the words regarding weight training. It really isn't something I knlw about. My rowing machine is on a decent level of resistance and I developing good muscle tone in arms and legs.

The new rules of lifting and the lean muscle diet are books. So that could provide you a greater place to start. I have read both and they are pretty solid. The latter has the most recent science in it since it's 6 years newer.