Planet Fitness?

Options
Well, I went to the docs and didn't like the number on the scale.

I went up to the rec center today for the first time and began walking. Everyone says to not over do it but I walked at a pace of 3.0 for 40 minutes and could have kept going.

There is a planet fitness by my house and I was thinking of doing that 10$ a month thing, that means that after work or on days I am off I could go up there and walk and get on with my day.

Anyone have success with planet fitness or success with walking in general?

Replies

• obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, it is all about the calories. It is much easier to shave calories in the kitchen than it is to burn them off in the gym. Don't let me put you off joining--you need exercise for fitness, and because it gives you more of a deficit.

Don't listen to "everybody" telling you not to overdo it if you are a generally healthy 21-year-old who is capable of walking for 40 minutes or more.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    If all you’re going to do is walk, why pay $10 a month?

And I agree with obscure, fat loss comes from managing what you eat, not exercise.
  • carolbrunett
    carolbrunett Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am using sworkit an app that works with mfp it has easy or hard exercises and you can do 5-60 min. It calculates calories burned and synchs to mfp best two dollars I spent in a long te
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    If you just want to do cardio, I really would reconsider a gym membership.

If you want to eventually do some strength training (which you really should!) you'll find planet fitness is... often inadequate for good, effective strength work.

It's better than nothing, but there are better options that will give you more room to grow.
  • dafad123
    dafad123 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I jioned planet fitness and i enjoy it.i can do treadmill or eliptical or weights.its good choice for only 10 dollars
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I only joined the gym to do cardio. When talking specifically about walking for cardio, I feel like it's better to do it on a treadmill than do it outside because you can boost up the incline and burn way more calories than you would walking outside. Boosting that incline up to 9% or 10% for 30 minutes will burn way more calories than walking outside.... unless you have a decent hill nearby that will take you about 30 minutes to walk up.

I have lost 75 lbs from mostly doing inclined walking and keeping up with my calorie intake. I just made sure my net calories were where they needed to be by counting calories eaten and burning calories through walking.

• starz272
    starz272 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have a planet fitness membership and I mainly use it for the treadmill/elliptical. What is great is that you can definitely change the incline of the machine to make it harder/strengthen the leg muscles. As someone else mentioned, food is large portion of weight loss. However, I find that when I do some form of exercise, I get the boost of endorphins that make me feel better about myself which makes me want to eat better as well. Good luck!!
  • jsecret
    jsecret Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    PF is not as bad as people make it out to be. I've dropped 30+ lbs at my gym. There is plenty of cardio equipment if that's what you're interested in. And for light weight lifting there is plenty to do. At $10 a month if it gets you motivated then why not!
  • kbare85
    kbare85 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I go to PF as well and I love it. I mainly use the elliptical and arc trainer for my cardio. Also the circuit training area is pretty good.
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    there are many that do not like PF, I LOVE it. It has everything that I need, for only 10 bucks a month. xoxox
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Good for you for wanting to be healthier. PF has treadmills etc. if you want to use them to walk to improve your health more power to you. You may find you "outgrow" PF. If you can do the $10 plan without committing, do that. You never know.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I too have a planet fatness membership. I've lost 36lbs over the past year and I do the arc trainer, the treadmill, and the circuit at PF. Unless you want to get into heavy lifting, PF will suffice. Just stay away on the pizza, bagel, cupcake day.

Plus, I would pay the $10 a month solely for the people watching I do there. You see some *kitten* at PlanetFatness.
  • path2abetterme
    Options
    I'm a member at my local YMCA and I love it - they offer a variety of classes, strength training equipment and many opportunities to form social relationships with other members and the Y's staff. I say "go for it"!
  • csch79
    csch79 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I think Planet Fitness is great for what it is. For $10 per month I get 24 hour access during the week and decent hours during the weekend. I was a member at Gold's for a long time and I do like Gold's better but it was hard to get there with my schedule. I miss having spin classes but I definitely get my $10 worth per month.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    PF is a great place.
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    For $10/mo you can't go wrong. What's the worst that can happen?

You could try walking outside first if you enjoy it, but I personally prefer to do cardio at the gym. I pay $50/mo at my community center gym, so PF sounds like a bargain to me.

Definitely go a few times and see if you like it before you sign a contract. The most important thing about a gym is "getting there". I've quit gyms before for reasons like "no parking" and "loud obnoxious music I hate" and just simply "too far away".

None of those seems like a big deal, but they were enough to keep me from going regularly. The one I'm at now really suits me: it's quiet, clean, not too crowded most of the time, and (most importantly) it's between home and work, like I literally have to pass it to get home. You should look forward to going, not feel like it's a chore.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    planet-fitness-no-deadlifting-notice.jpg
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    planet-fitness-no-deadlifting-notice.jpg

Which relates to the OP's wish to walk on a treadmill, how?
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    PF is a great place.

LOL that this got flagged. Just, LOL.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    zarckon wrote: »
    For $10/mo you can't go wrong. What's the worst that can happen?

You could try walking outside first if you enjoy it, but I personally prefer to do cardio at the gym. I pay $50/mo at my community center gym, so PF sounds like a bargain to me.

Definitely go a few times and see if you like it before you sign a contract. The most important thing about a gym is "getting there". I've quit gyms before for reasons like "no parking" and "loud obnoxious music I hate" and just simply "too far away".

None of those seems like a big deal, but they were enough to keep me from going regularly. The one I'm at now really suits me: it's quiet, clean, not too crowded most of the time, and (most importantly) it's between home and work, like I literally have to pass it to get home. You should look forward to going, not feel like it's a chore.

Agreed. PF wouldn't work for my goals because I lift a lot of weights. But for cardio, it's a super cheap gym, and my guess is they would have all the equipment you need, so I agree with the above. Ask to take a tour and see if you can have a trial first if they're going to make you sign a contract (month to month would be best, but I know a lot of gyms don't offer that).