Warrior Dash Training

Options
2»

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    The running isn’t a biggie because you’ll spend time “resting” while you wait in line for each obstacle.

i find this to be a very common misconception. not that there isn't some stoppage at obstacles, but that it's a significant enough time to recover from a long run.

warrior dash is a 5k, and the OP has done 5ks so she should be good to go as far endurance goes. however when i hear about people signing up for long mud courses talk about how they only need to be able to run a few miles at a time because there are tons of obstacles that they can rest at, i kind of shake my head.
  • JGonzo82
    JGonzo82 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    This is just my $0.02 and maybe the Warrior Dash where you live will be significantly different than the one I did last year (North Carolina), but it really doesn't require much upper-body strength at all. There are some obstacles where you'll need to be able to "hang" (eg, moving across a vertical rope net) but being able to do pull-ups etc is totally unnecessary. I did it with 3 women I used to work with & 2 of those 3 didn't do any strength training at all (only ran) and they had no problem at all with the obstacles. If you were doing a Spartan, on the other hand...you would be in burpee hell (Spartan races make you do burpees for any obstacle you can't complete).
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    The running isn’t a biggie because you’ll spend time “resting” while you wait in line for each obstacle.

i find this to be a very common misconception. not that there isn't some stoppage at obstacles, but that it's a significant enough time to recover from a long run.

warrior dash is a 5k, and the OP has done 5ks so she should be good to go as far endurance goes. however when i hear about people signing up for long mud courses talk about how they only need to be able to run a few miles at a time because there are tons of obstacles that they can rest at, i kind of shake my head.
    I agree especially when talking about longer runs. The obstacles themselves can be a bit taxing and running 12 miles while resting a few minutes every half mile isn't the same as running 1 mile regularly on different days. But in this case we were talking about a runner who regularly runs a 5K or more so that part of a 5K obstacle course isn't an issue.
  • mcalhoun79
    mcalhoun79 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This makes me feel so much better. I'm still going to start strength training just because I need to, but now I can at least relax on if I can do the wd or not!
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I'm doing one in October. Let us know how it goes!
  • mcalhoun79
    Options
    I sure will!!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »

I agree especially when talking about longer runs. The obstacles themselves can be a bit taxing and running 12 miles while resting a few minutes every half mile isn't the same as running 1 mile regularly on different days. But in this case we were talking about a runner who regularly runs a 5K or more so that part of a 5K obstacle course isn't an issue.

Yes, my concept was based on the 3.1 miles, which most people can walk (the course is open all day).

I’ve done the tough mudder, too. And I agree that it is much more taxing from an obstacle and run perspective. Only one of the running segments was more than a mile, but the time on your feet running/standing, does begin to break you down.

In both cases, I’d say if you can run 2/3 to 3/4 of the distance at a reasonable pace, you’re properly trained to complete the race (adrenaline and rest periods).
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

Yes, my concept was based on the 3.1 miles, which most people can walk (the course is open all day).

I’ve done the tough mudder, too. And I agree that it is much more taxing from an obstacle and run perspective. Only one of the running segments was more than a mile, but the time on your feet running/standing, does begin to break you down.

In both cases,[lI’d say if you can run 2/3 to 3/4 of the distance at a reasonable pace, you’re properly trained to complete the race (adrenaline and rest periods).

Yup, agreed.

I find it funny though, when people sign up for a twelve mile tough mudder and then balk when I tell them they should be able to run at least 8 miles straight.
  • mcalhoun79
    Options

In both cases,[lI’d say if you can run 2/3 to 3/4 of the distance at a reasonable pace, you’re properly trained to complete the race (adrenaline and rest periods).

Yup, agreed.

I find it funny though, when people sign up for a twelve mile tough mudder and then balk when I tell them they should be able to run at least 8 miles straight.

Yup, agreed.

There is NO way I would sign up for a tough mudder if I couldn't run 12 miles. I won't even sign up for a half marathon because the most I have ran without stopping on pavement is 8 miles.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I will say for races there is an adrenaline and distraction aspect that allows you to go further than you would (think you can) with training runs. The tough mudder is no different.