Panic Attack while exercising. Scared to go back!

Options
Hey, so I recently started going to the gym again. I was on the elliptical doing low intensity for about a week. It got easier as the week went on so I decided after a few days of excercising I could push myself a little. I started going faster into the cardio zone and my heart rate went up as it should. But then I got anxiety about my heart rate and even as I slowed down my heart rate kept going up. I really want to go back to the gym but have avoided it this past week because I'm scared of having another panic attack :/

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Try not to focus on your heart rate. Since you just started back to the gym, you should go at a slow steady pace, aiming for your 30 min. of exercise, not necessarily how fast you go or how high your HR is. Take it easy and enjoy yourself. This is a lifestyle change, not a competition.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    When you first start going at a higher effort, it takes a bit for the heart to catch up. It does not just start beating faster right away. As that heart rate starts going up though, if you reduce your effort in a fairly short order you will see your heart rate continue to climb due to the effort it already put in when you were going faster, and takes a bit for it to back down again.

Of course, anxiety will also cause your heart to race.

Could be a little of both.
  • lorrimvill17
    Options
    Hiya go at your own pace. Mention it to the gym instructor and they should keep an eye on you and give you support and advice. My instructor is good and I felt like that when I went back to gym after I had a stroke. You will be fine, you may just need reassurance from the professionals at gym. Anxiety attacks do raise your heart rate and make you breathe too fast and become lightheaded. Focus on regulating breathing and relax and enjoy. Good luck..
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    What's your question?

To the person above, she's on an elliptical machine. There are no instructors for elliptical machines.
  • lorrimvill17
    Options
    I use that also at the gym but there are still instructors around to monitor..
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I've had panic attacks for 22 years. I had my first when I was 17. I've had one during exercise as well, and then I hesitated to exercise again. I had one on a day that I was out for a walk and quite far from home, and then I was afraid to venture away from home again (didn't have a cell phone at the time) to exercise. To those that have never experienced panic attacks they are terrifying and can be debilitating.

That being said my advice to you is to get back out there and exercise. You will be anxious, but you will have to work through that or you are letting these (or this...not sure if this was your first) attacks control you. You don't want that. I was agoraphobic for a while because I started avoiding places where I would have panic attacks, and eventually it was hard for me just to leave home. It took me quite some time to work past that and get the nerve to revisit these places right away even after I had a bad experience at them, but trust me, it helps. You can't let them control your life because they will take over, and you will start limiting yourself. That's no way to live.

The first thing I did after I came home from my walk where I had the panic attack, after my body calmed of course, was go outside and walk around the block a few times. I did this on the same day. I stayed near home, but I also proved to myself that I was okay and that I could exert myself and get my heart rate up without having another one. The next day, I went for a longer walk again and I was fine. So ease yourself back into exercise. Exercise someplace where you feel safer and less anxious, and then go from there. Take someone with you if you need to. You need to build that confidence back up that you will be okay. I know how hard it is, but you can do it. :)
  • DavPul
    Options

i don't think so?
  • pscarolina
    pscarolina Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I think most gyms probably have floor monitors that are minimally trained, but not actual instructors. There may also be some personal trainers lurking around for clients (haha).

OP...maybe take a friend with you & focus on enjoying the workout with your friend a couple of times vs. getting your heart rate up to a certain point or the intensity of the workout at all. Maybe you can walk outside with a friend, weather permitting, and focus on spending that time together while getting exercise & not even knowing what your heart rate is at any given moment. Once you're more comfortable with the feeling of your heart pumping harder (not pounding which is that anxious feeling) you can push yourself a little more.
  • chopsuey54
    chopsuey54 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    jnv7594 wrote: »
    I've had panic attacks for 22 years. I had my first when I was 17. I've had one during exercise as well, and then I hesitated to exercise again. I had one on a day that I was out for a walk and quite far from home, and then I was afraid to venture away from home again (didn't have a cell phone at the time) to exercise. To those that have never experienced panic attacks they are terrifying and can be debilitating.

That being said my advice to you is to get back out there and exercise. You will be anxious, but you will have to work through that or you are letting these (or this...not sure if this was your first) attacks control you. You don't want that. I was agoraphobic for a while because I started avoiding places where I would have panic attacks, and eventually it was hard for me just to leave home. It took me quite some time to work past that and get the nerve to revisit these places right away even after I had a bad experience at them, but trust me, it helps. You can't let them control your life because they will take over, and you will start limiting yourself. That's no way to live.

The first thing I did after I came home from my walk where I had the panic attack, after my body calmed of course, was go outside and walk around the block a few times. I did this on the same day. I stayed near home, but I also proved to myself that I was okay and that I could exert myself and get my heart rate up without having another one. The next day, I went for a longer walk again and I was fine. So ease yourself back into exercise. Exercise someplace where you feel safer and less anxious, and then go from there. Take someone with you if you need to. You need to build that confidence back up that you will be okay. I know how hard it is, but you can do it. :)

• chopsuey54
    chopsuey54 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I suffered with panic attacks about 25 years ago and went to see an hypnotherapist and she sorted my problem out in a couple of months. It made me feel so good and I have never had one since.
  • Pupslice
    Pupslice Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

i don't think so?

Are you gonna legit sit there and argue with a total stranger about what does and doesn't go on at their gym now??? You really need ed a hobby son, you stay doing the most in nearly every post I see you in...
  • KaytiWindham
    KaytiWindham Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Just take a slow. Don't push yourself super hard. I've had panic attacks 7 Years now. And I know what u mean when I feel my heart rate shoot up so bad it scares me I lower my pace sip on some water to clear my mind (while going at a SLOW pace) then I build it back up. Anything u do is better than nothing.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Pupslice wrote: »

i don't think so?

Are you gonna legit sit there and argue with a total stranger about what does and doesn't go on at their gym now??? You really need ed a hobby son, you stay doing the most in nearly every post I see you in...

Take a look at his profile. It says it all. Just ignore this kind of behavior.

To the OP:

I have generalized anxiety and panic disorder. I suffered from panic attacks for years and it was one of the reasons why I avoided the gym for so long. Now I go to the gym 5x a week for 1-1.5 hours each time.

Becoming anxious over a rapid heart rate is common for those who suffer from anxiety. The increase in heart rate is basically telling your body it's dangerous (even though it's not). The more you exercise and the more your heart rate increases, the less anxious you'll become because overtime, your body will see that you are in fact safe and nothing is wrong.

If you continue to have panic attacks, I suggest looking into CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy). It exposes you to your fears and has a very high success rate for anxiety. I personally went through two intensive accelerated CBT programs and haven't had a panic attack since.

ETA: Don't be scared to go back. The only way to get over your fears is to face them. Trust me.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    edited January 2015
    Options
    What's your question?

To the person above, she's on an elliptical machine. There are no instructors for elliptical machines.

@DavPul‌ There is no question. I believe she is seeking advice and support from individuals who have experienced/currently experience panic attacks when exercising or in life in general. If you don't have anything constructive to contribute, move along.

And the 'instructors' she's referring to are the gym employees and PT's who wander around. Surely your gym has them too, otherwise I'm not sure how they operate..
  • DavPul
    Options
    Pupslice wrote: »

i don't think so?

Yes?
  • DavPul
    Options
    What's your question?

@DavPul‌ There is no question. I believe she is seeking advice and support from individuals who have experienced/currently experience panic attacks when exercising or in life in general. If you don't have anything constructive to contribute, move along.

And the 'instructors' she's referring to are the gym employees and PT's who wander around. Surely your gym has them too, otherwise I'm not sure how they operate..

They're not there to monitor random workouts. The liability alone would bury them.

If you're not going to contribute anything truthful, then perhaps you should move along?
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    edited January 2015
    Options
    What's your question?

They're not there to monitor random workouts. The liability alone would bury them.

If you're not going to contribute anything truthful, then perhaps you should move along?

I've already done that. Still waiting on your grand contribution though.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    grimmeanor wrote: »
    When you first start going at a higher effort, it takes a bit for the heart to catch up. It does not just start beating faster right away. As that heart rate starts going up though, if you reduce your effort in a fairly short order you will see your heart rate continue to climb due to the effort it already put in when you were going faster, and takes a bit for it to back down again.

Of course, anxiety will also cause your heart to race.

Could be a little of both.

^^This. When you increase your exercise intensity, there is a delay while your heart rate increases. When you reduce the intensity, it also takes time for the heart to slow down. Heart rate monitors will show this...your heart rate may go up for a bit after slowing down. It's normal. Happens to me while running intervals. I agree with the advice not to bother with monitoring your heart rate, just workout in some effort and listen to how your body feels.

Since you're new to exercise, I'd say keep your intensity lower for awhile. Over time, you'll be able to increase it as you get more fit.

As for the panic attack, I used to suffer from them as part of PTSD. If you don't already know, learn/practice some grounding techniques in case you have one again. My advice is to not avoid the gym; don't let it become a trigger place for you. You had a great start to your new exercise routine.
  • andreiasw8
    andreiasw8 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I know to well how horrible panic attacks are I suffered for 4 years to a point I dident leave my house for 2 years I was scared of doing any form of exercise that would increase my heart rate, then one day I woke up and said to my self you will not beat me I'm not scared I will get over it, and thankfully I did, panic attacks sad to say is our way of thinking about fear I used to hate people saying get over it etc etc but to be honest it's true nobody can help you unless you help your self and change the way you think about them, no one has ever been reported to have died from them so don't worry keep calm and carry on and never give up don't let panic rule your goal
    Good luck
  • ashleylpage__
    ashleylpage__ Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your advice guys. I think I'll try to go tomorrow :)