Plain Yogurt Recommendations

Options
2»

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Chewy yogurt sounds nasty.

I buy either Fage 0% plain or the Kirkland brand. Greek yogurt tastes just like sour cream to me so I use it just like I would sour cream. I put it on my tacos and baked potatoes. I add onion soup mix and make it into a dip for veggies. I add lime or lemon juice and turn it into a sauce for fish or chicken.

When I eat it for breakfast I throw in a handful of frozen raspberries or blackberries (I buy them fresh on sale and then wash and freeze them) and a packet of 0 calorie sweetener like stevia or a bit of agave syrup. I let it sit on my way to work (the berries thaw and they thin the yogurt a bit) and then I stir it up and eat it.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Make your own. It is so easy and inexpensive. After the first batch you just use the yogurt from the current batch each time for the starter. The only time I buy yogurt is weakened a new starter.
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Make your own. It is so easy and inexpensive. After the first batch you just use the yogurt from the current batch each time for the starter. The only time I buy yogurt is weakened a new starter.

I eat so much yogurt; I want to make my own. Can you point me to a good recipe?

Thanks!
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I also think the Fage brand is less sour. Full fat is less sour than low fat too in my opinion. I sometimes stir through a tbsp of sugar free lemonade syrup or some natural jam or honey.
  • RosieWest8
    RosieWest8 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I think Fage yogurt is the best yogurt Greek or not that I've ever tasted. I will eat it plain with fruit or with granola. I buy the ones that come with fruit topping as a side but never use all the fruit part of it. My mom said she didn't like Greek yogurt because it was too sour until she tried mine...and now she uses it in her smoothies.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options

Thanks!

This is the recipe for regular store bought milk raw milk recipe is different.

Heat 1 quart milk to 180degrees. Cool it down to 120. Whisk in your starter (this would be 2-3 tablespoons of regular yogurt) Put in mason jar, cover with towels and put in a warm spot for 12 hours (the longer it sits the angrier it is) I put mine e in the oven with the light on. Refrigerate for a couple of hours to thicken. If you want Greek style then strain it through cheesecloth.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    Greek yogurt tastes just like sour cream to me so I use it just like I would sour cream. I put it on my tacos and baked potatoes. I add onion soup mix and make it into a dip for veggies. I add lime or lemon juice and turn it into a sauce for fish or chicken.

I do this too. It's a delicious all-purpose food.
  • chriseisenbergfit
    Options
    I like the Trader Joe's organic yogurt - the whole milk version is smoother and tastes a little richer which makes it seem a bit more sweet, but the low fat or non fat version is good too. Mix in a little bit of real vanilla extract to get the lovely taste but without all the sugar of the regular "vanilla yogurt" versions.They also have a "European" yogurt that is very creamy but definitely more tart
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options

Thanks!

It doesn't really take a recipe. I'm sure there are other ways to do it, but my ex-roommate had an electric yogurt maker. You heat up some milk, add in some yogurt bacteria (a packet we'd get at the local co-op. Also online. You can also use already-made plain yogurt, but I haven't had as much luck with that), and then pour into jars. Turn it on and it basically cooks at a low temperature for like 10 hours. Put lids on the jars once it's done, put in the fridge. Delicious.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    My mom had an electric yogurt maker in the early 80s. It made 6 individual 8 ounce cups of yogurt. She'd mix the yogurt with strawberry jam to eat it. It took me a long time to learn to like yogurt as adult because I hated that stuff so much. It was probably mostly the strawberry jam I really disliked (I hate super-sweet strawberry flavored stuff but love fresh strawberries) but the yogurt suffered by association. :grinning:
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    SueInAz wrote: »
    Greek yogurt tastes just like sour cream to me so I use it just like I would sour cream. I put it on my tacos and baked potatoes. I add onion soup mix and make it into a dip for veggies. I add lime or lemon juice and turn it into a sauce for fish or chicken.

I do this too. It's a delicious all-purpose food.

Me too. I personally don't enjoy eating yogurt plain. I don't even enjoy sugary yogurt. But using it to help dress a salad (add creaminess and dilute a fattier dressing) or add some creaminess or extra protein to a dish or as a sub for sour cream, I enjoy Greek yogurt for that purpose.

I use the Kirkland (Costco) brand, it's pretty mild at least compared to the mouth-puckering Great Value brand I picked up from Wal-Mart when I was in a pinch. I ended up throwing that out it was so awful it ruined everything it touched.
    Both brands were fat-free, I've never tried any Greek Yogurt than contained fat but I imagine it would be tastier, cuz fat.