Protein bar or not really?

I have been really giving it my all!
I have lost 23lbs already and would love to lose another 20lbs. As I am working out more I am noticing that I have some extra calories at the end of the day which is great but as I get closer to my goal I am wanting to narrow that gap. I love my granola bars -- I usually just buy the special k dark chocolate ones for 100 calories. It got me thinking would adding a protein bar in its place be more beneficial?
If so I know people rave about quest but I have called around here (small town Canada) and they aren't as accessible so looking for alternatives if necessary.

Replies

• DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    If you've already met your protein goal for the day, then I don't think it matters how you fill the extra calories. Eat whatever is yummy. If you're trying to get more protein in, then maybe it would be helpful to find a protein bar you enjoy. It just depends on your goal.
  • diegops1
    diegops1 Posts: 154 Member
    I order Quest bars online. I live in a very rural area about 60 miles from stores that carry "health foods". I use them when I want to boost my fiber or protein for the day, but I probably only eat two or three a week. I used to eat Fiber One bars, but decided that Quest was a better choice for me.
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Thanks! I don't really track my protein so maybe best to start there -- I guess I just figured I was eating a bar of something so might as well make it more protein/fiber
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I am a Canadian and I am fond of the http://simplyprotein.ca/ bars, available in bulk at Costco. They are slightly lower in calories and have a few other things going for them.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited January 2015
    diegops1 wrote: »
    I order Quest bars online. I live in a very rural area about 60 miles from stores that carry "health foods". I use them when I want to boost my fiber or protein for the day, but I probably only eat two or three a week. I used to eat Fiber One bars, but decided that Quest was a better choice for me.

I like Quest bars too, but the high amount of fiber that is in one bar kills me. Now I switch it up with a NuGo Protien bar. They are still high in Protien, but not as much fiber.
  • WarmDontBurn
    Anyone try pure protein bars? They look affordable and accessible!
  • ladygi19
    ladygi19 Posts: 36 Member
    If you love eggs like I do, a boiled egg or two I think is a better alternative to protein bars, but then again I pretty much hate protein bars. I stick with a shake and real food.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    I have lost 23lbs already and would love to lose another 20lbs. As I am working out more I am noticing that I have some extra calories at the end of the day which is great but as I get closer to my goal I am wanting to narrow that gap. I love my granola bars -- I usually just buy the special k dark chocolate ones for 100 calories. It got me thinking would adding a protein bar in its place be more beneficial?
    If so I know people rave about quest but I have called around here (small town Canada) and they aren't as accessible so looking for alternatives if necessary.

Where in Canada are you, I'm in winnipeg currently and finding quest bars is like finding a starbucks. There everywhere.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member

I loved the soft baked ones that they are apparently not doing anymore. The other two I tried were passable and awful, respectively, but it was a year ago so maybe they've changed the formula since? (the awful one was the s'mores one).
  • mainebeachbum
    mainebeachbum Posts: 385 Member
    My favorite are the Luna protein bars, about 170 calories each.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    I'm not a fan of protein bars or shakes. Rather just eat regular food.
  • WarmDontBurn
    nickatine wrote: »

Where in Canada are you, I'm in winnipeg currently and finding quest bars is like finding a starbucks. There everywhere.

I am in a small town in southwestern Ontario.
    We have quest bars at one store but she wants almost $4 per bar!
  • mumfy23
    mumfy23 Posts: 61 Member
    I am a fan of the Pure Protien bars. Filling, low sugar and high in protein.
  • WarmDontBurn
    mumfy23 wrote: »
    I am a fan of the Pure Protien bars. Filling, low sugar and high in protein.

Care to share your favs?

• mandykent111
    mandykent111 Posts: 81 Member
    I make my own protein bites and I find that its much cheaper and they taste way better. Search for great recipes online.
  • josephwelch7739
    josephwelch7739 Posts: 7 Member
    Was running late, grabbed a balance bar - High protein. Tasted good, 200 calories, 20 carbs - 15 protein - 170 sodium. Should have woke up earlier and just cooked a couple of eggs.