squats,,,yes or no?

Options
hi!

i started adding squats to my excersise routine about a week ago, and was wondering if anyone who does squats regularly seen any physical changes after some weeks?

also i try to add extra reps during my day whenever i can, is this beneficial or am i just wasting my time and should be doing something else like jogging on the spot or crunches for example?

thanks ;)

Replies

• yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    After a few weeks of weighted squats (progressive overload, adding 15lbs/week) my legs became much firmer to the touch.
    You mentioned doing reps throughout the day when you can so that leads me to believe you're doing bodyweight squats. Those may tire you out but I don't think they're going to affect the look or feel of your body very much, especially not in just a few weeks.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    seen physical changes? Not really, especially not from squats (any change I see is more about my diet/calorie deficit than it is exercise). I have seen significant improvement in strength and quality of life (i.e. able to do more and to do it more easily).
  • jsecret
    jsecret Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Squats with weights? Or just body weight squats?
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Yes. Weighted squats, progressively adding more weight. My butt has lifted and is smaller (also eating at a small calorie deficit). The bottom elastic of my underwear is starting to ride up. Pictures show a definite difference in shape in before and after pics.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    seen physical changes? Not really, especially not from squats (any change I see is more about my diet/calorie deficit than it is exercise). I have seen significant improvement in strength and quality of life (i.e. able to do more and to do it more easily).

This. Though, now I know how to squat heavy and when it comes time to build the butt of my dreams and bulk, I'm ready. Not to mention holding on to muscle during fat loss, which I assume helped the appearance of my butt.
  • geri1geraldinesuzanne
    Options
    Just body weight squats, cardio and healthy eating.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Just body weight squats, cardio and healthy eating.

Body weight squats are a good start.
  • geri1geraldinesuzanne
    Options
    I'll have to see about adding extra weight in the future.
  • terem00
    terem00 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I do all sorts of squats, some with weights and some without. Since Sept I have done over 10,000 squats and my rear has never looked better!
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!!

Took pics when I first began and then again 6 weeks later. Lost all cellulite and added a nice little lift to my 50yr old derriere.
    I got excited seeing my results and added weights. At the 4 month mark while at a friends pool party I was asked how I have the *kitten* of a 21yr old.

I'll never give up squatz!!!
  • geri1geraldinesuzanne
    Options
    What about abs? I've read it can be beneficial too.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    squats, when done correctly, definitely help with core strength. As far as visible abs, that's all about body fat, which is primarily about diet.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Yes. Very much yes. Do the squats.

My butt has lifted to the point that even though I haven't lost any pounds, the backs of my thighs are nearly flat, with a distinct line between thigh and butt cheeks, which, by the way, are very round and firm. My boyfriend actually complained that my butt was getting smaller, but then he said it was also getting rounder so he supposed that was ok.

Do the squats.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    yes
  • iheartinsanity
    iheartinsanity Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I've been doing them close to 2 years now and my once flat booty is way nicer than I ever thought possible (thought I was cursed with a terrible white girl butt). Honestly though if you want to build, I've found that I have to eat a surplus. I'm back in weight loss mode right now, but still focusing on the big 3 (they've given me the best results thus far).
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    As someone who stares at my wife's bottom a lot. It took about 2 months of progressive weighted squats to make her booty "pop".
  • KristaPerseveres
    KristaPerseveres Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Hella yeah, weighted squats especially have made all the difference. I went from a flat pancake booty to a nice round firm booty. *kitten* to the grass as my trainer says, or you aren't doing them right ;-)
  • susansmoaks
    susansmoaks Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    i can totally see a difference, i am doing 200 squats a night and have been doing it for over a month now.