But, what if I don't want to lift?

Options

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I'm betting that most of those who lift weights wouldn't be able to hold their own body weight as well as you do in your yoga practice. You lift. It's just yourself you're lifting.

What? Sure we could. We lift things that are well over our body weight. Balance on the other hand, I'm not so sure about :)
  • AmberStarr_87
    AmberStarr_87 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I'm betting that most of those who lift weights wouldn't be able to hold their own body weight as well as you do in your yoga practice. You lift. It's just yourself you're lifting.

This! No one understand show much work yoga is! Sheesh!
  • arditarose
    Options
    Maybe tone was the wrong word then.. I don't want a weightlifters body. I want to be thinner, leaner, healthier & comfortable. I do not by any means, want muscle definition in my arms, legs, or stomach. Yoga body, not hard body? Idk how to explain a body type.. the idea of looking light a weightlifter actually frightens me!

Well even if you wanted to lift weights you wouldn't get big muscles or look like a body builder on a calorie deficit. That's hard work and requires a surplus.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    SueInAz wrote: »
    As far as the whole elliptical or treadmill vs. weight lifting thing? OMG, I can't imagine anyone thinking that spending hours as a cardio hamster is less boring than lifting. I run. I run quite a bit. Give me the open road and I'll happily run 13.1 miles but more than a half mile on the treadmill and I'd rather open a wrist. It's sweaty and it's mind numbing even with a TV or music.

Would I rather run or ride outside? You bet. But goals don't wait for nice weather. Therefore I get the work done inside on my treadmill or bike trainer. Boredom doesn't cross my mind. The work has to get done, therefore the work gets done.

idk man, i got a bike trainer in november, and let me tell you, i don't know if i'll ever ride my bike outdoors again!! no people and cars to avoid, no potholes, dogs. no junk miles wasted getting to the proper bike path.

the treadmill still sucks but i did what i had to inside because of yesterdays "blizzard."

I get a *BETTER* workout on my bike trainer than riding outside. As you say, no interruptions, traffic lights, cars, potholes, etc. Just me and my suffering.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    There was a good article someone posted the other day about the effort required and sacrifices needed to achieve and maintain different levels of body fat. I can't seem to find the link right now, but it basically made the point that, once you've gotten down to the healthy range, anything more is a personal choice.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    As far as the whole elliptical or treadmill vs. weight lifting thing? OMG, I can't imagine anyone thinking that spending hours as a cardio hamster is less boring than lifting. I run. I run quite a bit. Give me the open road and I'll happily run 13.1 miles but more than a half mile on the treadmill and I'd rather open a wrist. It's sweaty and it's mind numbing even with a TV or music.

Would I rather run or ride outside? You bet. But goals don't wait for nice weather. Therefore I get the work done inside on my treadmill or bike trainer. Boredom doesn't cross my mind. The work has to get done, therefore the work gets done.

idk man, i got a bike trainer in november, and let me tell you, i don't know if i'll ever ride my bike outdoors again!! no people and cars to avoid, no potholes, dogs. no junk miles wasted getting to the proper bike path.

the treadmill still sucks but i did what i had to inside because of yesterdays "blizzard."

I get a *BETTER* workout on my bike trainer than riding outside. As you say, no interruptions, traffic lights, cars, potholes, etc. Just me and my suffering.

truth.

of course, when summer comes i'll be joining my club for rides... i'll probably get a flat on day one.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Worse case just don't lift and don't be as fit as possible

Sorry but this makes me laugh. It really depends on what you define as "fit". There is zero reason to lift weights if you don't want to. You can be amazingly "fit" without weights.

Aging well is a pretty good reason to do resistance training. Bone density and strength are pretty important to self sufficiency and health as we age. My BIL's grandmother passed a few months ago due to complications from falling in her home and breaking her hip.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    There was a good article someone posted the other day about the effort required and sacrifices needed to achieve and maintain different levels of body fat. I can't seem to find the link right now, but it basically made the point that, once you've gotten down to the healthy range, anything more is a personal choice.

Pretty much. Just do whatever you like that keeps you healthy. I won't lift a thing this week as I see no point to it, but I will easily clock 15+ hours of "cardio".

You guys can have your weights - for me they are a waste of time.
  • arditarose
    Options
    segacs wrote: »

Pretty much. Just do whatever you like that keeps you healthy. I won't lift a thing this week as I see no point to it, but I will easily clock 15+ hours of "cardio".

You guys can have your weights - for me they are a waste of time.

Exactly. And as for me, I might do 30 to an hour of cardio the whole week top. I don't need it for weight loss, I don't like it, so...just a little for cardiovascular health! Do you thing OP.
  • jeanmariemcp
    jeanmariemcp Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

What? Sure we could. We lift things that are well over our body weight. Balance on the other hand, I'm not so sure about :)

But part of that balancing is using your muscles to hold yourself. It's not just an equilibrium thing, it's building the strength to hold your body in the pose. I like to lift but I also love yoga. It seems that it is often misunderstood as sitting around and stretching. If someone practices 5 days a week like OP I'm guessing that she is stronger than she thinks she is (or anyone else thinks she is).
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Maybe tone was the wrong word then.. I don't want a weightlifters body. I want to be thinner, leaner, healthier & comfortable. I do not by any means, want muscle definition in my arms, legs, or stomach. Yoga body, not hard body? Idk how to explain a body type.. the idea of looking light a weightlifter actually frightens me!

If you don't want to lift, don't lift. But don't pass it up because you think you're going to develop a bodybuilder's physique just by lifting. That's BS. Developing that kind of physique takes years of specific training and nutrition.

You won't even build appreciable muscle so long as you are still eating at a deficit. Eventually, you could get lean enough to see muscle definition, but that's because you've lost that much body fat. NOT because you gained all kinds of muscle mass. You can have a temporary swelling of muscles (pump) during and a couple of hours after lifting, but that's it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I'm one of the weirdos who would rather do cardio for one hour at the gym than lift weights, it's how much I hate it... I still do it, but I pretty much do the strict minimum, so most probably not enough to get any kind of fantastic results... but I can't be bothered frankly.

I'm very curious about how 12 minutes of HIITs burns more calories than 2 hours of steady cardio though... please share. Unless I guess your cardio is walking at 2 mph? And even then...
  • arditarose
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

But part of that balancing is using your muscles to hold yourself. It's not just an equilibrium thing, it's building the strength to hold your body in the pose. I like to lift but I also love yoga. It seems that it is often misunderstood as sitting around and stretching. If someone practices 5 days a week like OP I'm guessing that she is stronger than she thinks she is (or anyone else thinks she is).

I'm sure she's strong. It's just a bit of a generalization to say that we couldn't hold our own body weight as well as her. Though I understand you were giving her a compliment so I'll leave it at that.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I'm very curious about how 12 minutes of HIITs burns more calories than 2 hours of steady cardio though... please share. Unless I guess your cardio is walking at 2 mph? And even then...

It doesn't. It burns more calories per minute.

Unless your HIIT is REALLY high intensity and your 2 hours of steady cardio are at a snail's pace, that is.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I strength train but my overall focus is running. "Cardio" I want to run a full marathon in 2016. I know it's a year out but I have a lot of work to do. So my focus is on improving my run distance and time.

My husband ordered a home gym and once he sets it up, I'll probably spend more time strength training but I've lost 42lbs and I have mainly done cardio.

Do what interests you.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have been doing classes that are a combination of strength and cardio for a year and a half and I can attest to having visibile muscles in my body.

I've been trying to figure out how to take a selfie that shows my back. ;-) But here's a photo of me pointing to the muscles in my upper arms/shoulders. ;-) This was taken 2 weeks ago.

bdb75v15hbsi.jpg
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I have been doing classes that are a combination of strength and cardio for a year and a half and I can attest to having visibile muscles in my body.

I've been trying to figure out how to take a selfie that shows my back. ;-) But here's a photo of me pointing to the muscles in my upper arms/shoulders. ;-) This was taken 2 weeks ago.

bdb75v15hbsi.jpg

You look fab!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

bdb75v15hbsi.jpg

Thanks for posting this! So tired of all the 'lift heavy or go home attitude' on these boards sometimes. You look fantastic!
  • Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    The way I see it, I am not trying to be a body builder. I am just trying to fit in pants that are smaller and walk without needing a nap, which I have been doing. I don't lift anything. I do yoga and pilates and that is good enough for me aside from walking and step ups.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

To each his own, I suppose, but to me, riding on a trainer is torture. Our winter temperatures are usually above freezing where I live, so riding outside is always an option, but riding the trainer feels like death. I want to be outside to feel the wind on my face and to see what is happening in the world.