Confused about how to measure waist - am I at risk or not?

Options

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I can't think of a bone that would get in the way of a bellybutton measurement. Your bellybutton is above your hips.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    Well they're not measuring your hip bone girth; they're measuring the girth around your midsection. Neither the width of your rib cage nor the width of your pelvis should impact that measurement.

I suppose if someone had an exceptionally big spine... Well, no actually. :)

Big bones don't really affect this measurement.

well, if you have wide hips and a wide rib cage, you would need enough skin width to cover the space. of course it would impact your midsection too even though it's below and above it. the midsection connects the space between the hips and the ribs. a more narrow frame would have a smaller amount of space that the midsection needs to fit into.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Well they're not measuring your hip bone girth; they're measuring the girth around your midsection. Neither the width of your rib cage nor the width of your pelvis should impact that measurement.

I suppose if someone had an exceptionally big spine... Well, no actually. :)

Big bones don't really affect this measurement.

If you measure around the hip bones, the width of your hips is going to affect it. That's why it's going to be wrong. The link I found as well as various others I saw when googling said halfway between ribs and hip bones, which for a great many people is around the navel, but for high-waisted women measuring around the navel will mean measuring around your hips, which means the navel measurement distorts it.

In other words, for the average woman the narrowest point and around your navel is the same thing, but not for everyone.

All of this is why it's good there are a bunch of tests to look at, though. I don't think it's that hard to figure out if you have weight to lose or not. ;-)
  • Aviva92
    edited January 2015
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I can't think of a bone that would get in the way of a bellybutton measurement. Your bellybutton is above your hips.

but if you have wide hips, your belly isn't going to suddenly be narrow. it's connected. it could be just as wide, but flat if you don't have excess fat there.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I see what you're saying but it depends on shape. Many women curve inward at the waist in between their ribs and hipbones. Some do quite dramatically (think Marilyn Monroe or the classic hourglass shape) and some do very little, or have more of a straight up-and-down body.

The curving inward shape has a statistically lower risk of certain diseases. That's why waist-to-hip ratio is used as a measurement sometimes.

If you have wide hips and/or ribs and aren't naturally very curvy, it's obviously gonna be harder to reduce waist size. But if you aren't carrying much body fat there, and have a toned, firm stomach, then the health risk is fairly low anyway.
  • Aviva92
    Options
    I see what you're saying but it depends on shape. Many women curve inward at the waist in between their ribs and hipbones. Some do quite dramatically (think Marilyn Monroe or the classic hourglass shape) and some do very little, or have more of a straight up-and-down body.

The curving inward shape has a statistically lower risk of certain diseases. That's why waist-to-hip ratio is used as a measurement sometimes.

If you have wide hips and/or ribs and aren't naturally very curvy, it's obviously gonna be harder to reduce waist size. But if you aren't carrying much body fat there, and have a toned, firm stomach, then the health risk is fairly low anyway.

yes, if you're fine, you're fine, but it's an innacurate way to access things. as a general guideline it seems fine, but need to look at other things.
  • segacs
    Options
    Well waist being less than half of height is an arbitrary measurement anyway. It's meant as a quick check: If you're under, probably no need to worry. If you're over, then look at other factors to see if there's an elevated risk.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »

but if you have wide hips, your belly isn't going to suddenly be narrow. it's connected. it could be just as wide, but flat if you don't have excess fat there.

Yes, it will.

There's an 8 inch difference between my natural waist and my hips. I have a classic hourglass figure.
  • lemurcat12
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Here is BCBS of IL (my insurance company): "To measure your waist circumference, place a measuring tape snugly around your waist area just above your hip bone." (emphasis added)

I don't think it's right to include your hip bone in the measurement as would be the case for me if I measured around the navel,* and that's what we seem to be discussing, and the sources I have found seem to agree.
    Many women curve inward at the waist in between their ribs and hipbones. Some do quite dramatically (think Marilyn Monroe or the classic hourglass shape) and some do very little, or have more of a straight up-and-down body.

Yes, I agree about all this, but I don't think anyone is disagreeing.

The issue here, as I see it, is whether around the navel is the correct place to measure every woman, even women who are high waisted and go in not at the navel (which for them means measuring around their hip bone) but a bit above that.

*And as I said above, my measurements are actually okay at this point even if I include my hip bone only because--and this should be a bad thing health-wise, as I said before and you seem to agree--I have narrow hips.
  • segacs
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    The issue here, as I see it, is whether around the navel is the correct place to measure every woman, even women who are high waisted and go in not at the navel (which for them means measuring around their hip bone) but a bit above that.

Most women are smaller at the natural waist than at the navel.

But the health studies were done on measurements taken at the halfway point between the bottom of the ribcage and the top of the hipbone, which, for most women, is around or just above the navel, NOT at the smallest part of the natural waist.

Therefore, that's what the data was based on, so that's where to take the measurement to see if you're at risk.

Look, it's like cheating your food logs. Sure, you could cheat downward, but you're only cheating yourself in the end.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Mine isn't. That's the point. It depends on the woman.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I feel like we need a big whiteboard to scribble on for this conversation. It's like football announcers drawing squiggles all over the field at this point.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,934 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

My belly button is most definitely NOT above my hips. There's a solid 2 inches of hips above my belly button.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    "fair"

LOL
  • segacs
    Options
    I feel like we need a big whiteboard to scribble on for this conversation. It's like football announcers drawing squiggles all over the field at this point.

How about some visual aids?

skeleton_female_sides_render.jpgc08ce9e4-2692-4d7a-8ef1-7d41bde13629Large.jpg

The place to take the measurement is halfway between the bottom of the ribcage and the top of the hipbone.

If that falls at the navel, fine. If it falls above or below, also fine.

Many health professionals cheat and take it at the belly button for everyone, just because it's easier. But for someone like lemurcat12, that wouldn't be very accurate if it's including hipbone girth.

• lemurcat12
    Options
    But the health studies were done on measurements taken at the halfway point between the bottom of the ribcage and the top of the hipbone, which, for most women, is around or just above the navel, NOT at the smallest part of the natural waist.

We seem to be agreeing that the proper place to measure is between the bottom of the ribcage and the top of the hipbone. My only point is that that is NOT around the navel for all women. If measuring around the navel includes the hipbone, that seems wrong.

Again, it doesn't affect me, I just don't see how measuring around my hips is supposed to indicate how much fat I have the way this is supposed to.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,934 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

How about some visual aids?

skeleton_female_sides_render.jpgc08ce9e4-2692-4d7a-8ef1-7d41bde13629Large.jpg

The place to take the measurement is halfway between the bottom of the ribcage and the top of the hipbone.

If that falls at the navel, fine. If it falls above or below, also fine.

Many health professionals cheat and take it at the belly button for everyone, just because it's easier. But for someone like lemurcat12, that wouldn't be very accurate if it's including hipbone girth.

Wow, if that picture is proportionate, I'm an alien. I have MAYBE 1.5" from the side of the bottom of my ribs to the top of my hips. This diagram makes it look like I should have 6" there. Maybe I'm high hipped? Does that explain why my betty button is 2" lower than the top of my hips?
  • segacs
    edited January 2015
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »

Wow, if that picture is proportionate, I'm an alien. I have MAYBE 1.5" from the side of the bottom of my ribs to the top of my hips. This diagram makes it look like I should have 6" there.

Same here. That's very dependent on height (I'm 5'1" so naturally I'm gonna have less height there) and on proportions (some women have shorter torso / longer legs vs. longer torso / shorter legs).
  • lisaw19855
    lisaw19855 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'm hour glass shaped so measure at the narrowest point as the tape measure just seems to fall into place there x
  • Ooci
    Ooci Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    All so interesting and really I had no idea it would provoke such controversy. But it's helped to post it. And I will look at people boldly in the eye when they say I don't need to lose more - raise my top - and just wobble at them!!

Looking at a pic of me 12 years ago - with that 20 lb not there yet - I can see the bottom of my ribs and the top of my hips. Yes I think on me the measure (for health) should be around the belly button. Though it isn't ever where I've tied a sash on dresses.

AE3C238D-3B9C-4EF8-8B20-A85279448C70_zpsfcpeuis4.jpg

Thanks again for all the comments. It's very cheering to read I'm not alone in this - neither the shape not the desire to slap the nurse! :p