Dress doesn't fit :(

Options
Kinda depressed... Okay really depressed. My sisters wedding is in 32 days and the dress I ordered came in last night. Well... It doesn't fit! I cried so much last night. I mean I have really been trying hard dieting and exercising and I've even lost 7 lbs and still the dress doesn't fit. I don't know what I'm going to do but that dress cost a lot of money and I have to fit into it! I'm her maid of honor for goodness sakes! I really need some encouraging words... Maybe even some advice.

Replies

• tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry :(
    Can you have it let out? Seems like that would be far less stressful.
  • Arliah
    Arliah Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that the dress does not fit :( How much do you think you need to lose to fit into the dress?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Did you order the right size? Can you return it for bigger?
  • hlo9603
    hlo9603 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    @pinklotus_56‌ I'm not sure. I'm gonna see a tailor tomorrow but honestly I'm just really down. I bought a size bigger since sometimes dresses run small and I can't believe it doesn't fit.
  • markcomunale2
    Options
    How bad does it not fit?
  • swilkinson0705
    swilkinson0705 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about that. Take it to a tailor and get it fixed and try not to stress about it. You are doing great and you will continue your journey but you don't need added stress around a dress.
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Does it not zip up at all or is it just uncomfortably tight?
  • holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    First of all, bridesmaid dresses are sized really, really weirdly. This happens to everyone, no matter the size. In example, a wedding I was in two years ago, I went to get measured to my dress. I typically wear size 0 to a 4. The lady there advised me to order a size 10 dress. I told her that was crazy, I've never worn anything close to a 10! She said based on my measurements for this particular dress, that is what she thinks will fit. So I trusted her and guess what? The dress fit perfectly! I wore a size 0 dress to the rehearsal the night before and a 10 for the wedding. And the other girls who didn't take the woman's advice had to completely tailor the dresses to fit. So it's probably not you!

Secondly, if it doesn't fit because of a weight gain, it happens to everyone! I am currently trying to get off about 15 lbs. I'm a size 4 right now and all my size 0 jeans are sitting on what I call my shelf of shame - clothes that don't fit comfortably right now! But as long as you stick with it, the weight will come off. I just hit my 30 day mark and I'm already down 5 lbs.

In the meantime, don't let a dress determine your self esteem! The tailor will let it out and it will be fine. Just keep doing what you're doing and be proud that lost 7 lbs already! You're clearly doing it right and the weight will just keep coming off.

Don't be discouraged. One day that dress will be too big for you, just like I will get back into my shame jeans! hahaha
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hello -- I'm a seamstress and let me tell you, we fix so many bridesmaid's dresses that don't fit.

There are a lot of different variables that go into fitting a dress. Most dress shops only take your bust, waist, and hip measurement, then go with the largest measurement. If you are slightly endowed and have slightly narrow hips, the dress will never fit.

And even if the bust, waist and hips are the correct measurement, the distance between the bust and waist, and waist and hips may be off so the dress doesn't fit. If the dress waist is two inches below your waist, then the narrowest part of the dress is two inches below your narrowest part, and the dress won't zip.

It's the dress -- not you! -- that is the problem.

Find a good seamstress and have them let the dress out in the proper places. Check Angie's List or Nextdoor in your area to see if there are any seamstress reviews.

If you are near me, come to my shop. :smiley:
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Wedding dresses are sized like pattern sizes, not like commercial clothing chain sizes. That's the reason for the discrepancy.

I agree with everyone else. See a tailor. Get it let out. Enjoy the wedding.
  • Morgans_mom
    Morgans_mom Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try juicing. Its hard but you will lose some weight.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Those dresses never fit! Whenever I had to order a bridesmaids dress, or even my wedding dress, I had to go up like 2 sizes. It's crazy. So don't let that number on the dress get you down.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Beginsgirl wrote: »
    Try juicing. Its hard but you will lose some weight.
    no.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,716 Member
    Options
    Hello -- I'm a seamstress and let me tell you, we fix so many bridesmaid's dresses that don't fit.

There are a lot of different variables that go into fitting a dress. Most dress shops only take your bust, waist, and hip measurement, then go with the largest measurement. If you are slightly endowed and have slightly narrow hips, the dress will never fit.

And even if the bust, waist and hips are the correct measurement, the distance between the bust and waist, and waist and hips may be off so the dress doesn't fit. If the dress waist is two inches below your waist, then the narrowest part of the dress is two inches below your narrowest part, and the dress won't zip.

It's the dress -- not you! -- that is the problem.

Find a good seamstress and have them let the dress out in the proper places. Check Angie's List or Nextdoor in your area to see if there are any seamstress reviews.

If you are near me, come to my shop. :smiley:

Clearly, I'm not the OP, but I just wanted to say "Thank you!". It's SO nice to see someone with a helpful, positive response! Not to say others on this thread are not nice, but this was an informative and empathetic response. Hope the OP can benefit from it.
  • CanadaEh1
    CanadaEh1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Maybe undergarments that help tighten things up a bit might help too ... Best wishes :)
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I was at a wedding recently, and a family member had the same issue the day of the wedding; not the best time to find out! Luckily you have a month to plan for this.

Definitely get it checked out by a local seamstress, and see if it can be taken in/let out in the right places to make it fit. If you ordered it online from a place with a stationary location (like David's Bridal), try to see if you can work it out with that business first, especially if you took measurements, and the dress should have reasonably fit based on what you ordered. Like what was said above, wedding and bridal party dresses are strangely sized, and don't follow what you'd usually find in a store for every day clothes. I'm a 2 normally in dresses, but I could be several sides larger in bridal wear. I'll find out when I buy my own bridesmaid dress in a few months, lol.

Really, don't panic! If worse comes to worse, work something out with your sister and see if you can find something you can try on in store as a backup; buy it, keep the tags on it/keep the receipt, and hold onto it as long as you can until you figure out what to do with your first choice dress. If it can be altered, perfect! Return the backup. If not, you have something to wear, and you have a dress you can save for another special occasion, or get it altered so it can become a night out dress. My family member had a backup, and they looked just as beautiful in the backup dress as the original dress; no one noticed, and in fact, everyone loved the second dress choice! It will all work out for you, I promise.
  • dirtyflirty30
    dirtyflirty30 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Don't feel badly! Bridesmaid dresses are just plain weird. I'm sure a good seamstress can work with you.
  • mallory_2014
    mallory_2014 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    How small is it? You may be able to alter the back to be a corset which makes it a bit bigger. Depending on where you ordered it you may be able to exchange but, that would depend on if you could get a new dress in time.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Seamstress + Spanx should do the trick if it's just a bit too small
  • hlo9603
    hlo9603 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    It's not too awful. It just only zips up to a certain point. I appreciate everyone's comments and I will more than likely just have it altered. I hate to do that because the dress was already so expensive but this is for my sister not me and I need to tell myself that and move forward. Thank u for the encouragement!!!