how much calories should i consume and burn?

Options
my matainence calories is 1700 calories a day. in order for me to lose weight im suppose to eat 1,200 calories If I exercise and burn 500 calories a day. should I be eating back the 500 calories a day? also some people are saying your suppose to burn off every calorie you eat in order to lose weight is that true?

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Yes eat back your exercise calories.

You will have to experiment with how many of your exercise calories you need to eat back, few people eat 100%, most eat between 50-75%.
    Give it a couple of weeks at each trial so you get a good feel for what is working, and always make sure you are eating your 1200 cal.

Keep this in mind: you have set yourself to lose 1 lb a week by having a 500 cal a day deficit. If you have less than 20lb to lose you may be better changing to .5lb a week as weight loss is harder when you are closer to your goal weight.

Cheers, h.
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    MFP is already deducting the 500 calories out of your maintenance. You should be able to eat back your exercise calories and still lose one pound per week (500 calories per day). However, since exercise calories are often inflated, lots of people suggest only eating back half of them.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    MFP already has a built in deficit and yes, it is designed so you're eating back exercise calories.
  • lolly715
    lolly715 Posts: 106
    Options
    If 1200 is your net goal and you're exercising 500 worth, yes you should be eating 1700 per day. Unless you're using the MFP calorie burn estimates which are usually too high for most activities. It's generally recommended to eat back half of the stated burn, so you'd eat around 1450.

But I agree with the previous poster that 500 deficit may be too large - your pic doesn't look like you have that much to lose.
    also some people are saying your suppose to burn off every calorie you eat in order to lose weight is that true?

It really depends whether they're including the calories your body burns just keeping itself alive or not. If they mean "I ate 1200 calories so I should exercise 1200 calories off to equal zero"... absolutely NOT true, and dangerous!
  • kaylaheiser16
    kaylaheiser16 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I need to lose 45 pounds. And i use a heart monitor that calculates how much i burn while excersicing
  • kaylaheiser16
    kaylaheiser16 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    lolly715 wrote: »
    If 1200 is your net goal and you're exercising 500 worth, yes you should be eating 1700 per day. Unless you're using the MFP calorie burn estimates which are usually too high for most activities. It's generally recommended to eat back half of the stated burn, so you'd eat around 1450.

But I agree with the previous poster that 500 deficit may be too large - your pic doesn't look like you have that much to lose.
    also some people are saying your suppose to burn off every calorie you eat in order to lose weight is that true?

It really depends whether they're including the calories your body burns just keeping itself alive or not. If they mean "I ate 1200 calories so I should exercise 1200 calories off to equal zero"... absolutely NOT true, and dangerous!

I need to lose 45 pounds. And i use a heart monitor that calculates how much i burn while excersicing