Help, nothing working!

Options
so I have been recording my daily intake for a while now. I don't go over my calorie intake very often (2300) and I exercise regularly yet in 12 months I have simply bobbed between 101 and 104 kg. I am 184 cm tall with a bmi at 30 last time I checked. I don't eat excessive sugar, no soda, odd cake but infrequent. Nothing seems to work. Any ideas?

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    You are eating at maintenance.
    Do you weigh all your food? Pick accurate entries in the MFP database?
  • capedcrusadernz
    Options
    If I go much less than the 2100 calories I usually take in mfp tells me I'm not eating enough. My entries are pretty accurate, I don't weigh everything however.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    If I go much less than the 2100 calories I usually take in mfp tells me I'm not eating enough. My entries are pretty accurate, I don't weigh everything however.

that doesn't happen unless you log under 1200 as a female and 1500 as a male

Quite simply if you're not losing weight you are eating at maintenance so you have an issue with calorie logging on food or calorie logging on exercise

Set your diary to public for specific advice
  • capedcrusadernz
    Options
    OK so more accurate diary entries recording weight of portions if possible, reduce daily calorie intake to belo 2000, keep records for a week and see if there is any change, open diary up for the experts to tell me if nothing has changed. righto
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    You should be weighing and measuring all your food. You don't necessarily need to lower your calories. You may just need to tighten up your logging, thus the opening of the diary.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    OK so more accurate diary entries recording weight of portions if possible, reduce daily calorie intake to belo 2000, keep records for a week and see if there is any change, open diary up for the experts to tell me if nothing has changed. righto

Nope - record accurate weights of all food as a basic rule, pick data entries from MFP with care and consideration - there are exceptions to this rule when you would have to estimate but those are to be avoided where possible

you need to know as close as possible how many calories you are eating - it is all just guesswork but you need to take out as much as possible
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    You weigh less than I do, so 2300 is definitely too high for losing weight. If you're serious about losing weight, drop your daily goal to 1500 calories. You can weigh your food if you like, but I don't do that and I'm losing weight just fine.
  • terricherry2
    terricherry2 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    You weigh less than I do, so 2300 is definitely too high for losing weight. If you're serious about losing weight, drop your daily goal to 1500 calories. You can weigh your food if you like, but I don't do that and I'm losing weight just fine.

Please don't do this. I'm several inches shorter than you, around 17kg lighter and I eat more than 1500 cals a day to lose. And that's before counting exercise cals. There's no need to make yourself hangry.

• joneallen
    joneallen Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Please don't do this. I'm several inches shorter than you, around 17kg lighter and I eat more than 1500 cals a day to lose. And that's before counting exercise cals. There's no need to make yourself hangry.
    Exactly. Going from 2,300 calories a day, down to 1,500 is not good for you. Ease your way down, and find a range that fits. 1,500 calories a day for a man that exercises is not enough.

Consistency is the key. Best of luck!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

If you aren't weighing, how can you say you are accurately logging?
    You weigh less than I do, so 2300 is definitely too high for losing weight. If you're serious about losing weight, drop your daily goal to 1500 calories. [bYou can weigh your food if you like, but I don't do that and I'm losing weight just fine[/b]

That may be fine for you, but many people don't know what constitutes one portion.
  • capedcrusadernz
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice, it was getting very de motivating. I am going to adjust my calorie intake down to 2100 initially and see what happens
  • marcos_ritchie
    Options
    Find out what your MACROS should be, don't base it all on the calories.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice, it was getting very de motivating. I am going to adjust my calorie intake down to 2100 initially and see what happens

I would also suggest opening your diary and allowing others to see if there are any inaccuracies.

It's not so much about what you eat but how you log it. Using entries that may be incorrect on top of estimating portions can easily wipe out any deficit.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Sounds more like an inaccuracy issue. That's usually the culprit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png