Muscly calves

Options

Replies

• Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    No problem. Just don't wear pants or boots. Pencil skirts and pumps FTW.

big-calf-muscles-on-women-legs-5.jpg

10/10, do covet and adore.

• lisaw19855
    lisaw19855 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I have 17inch calves, even losing weight doesn't shrink them. I'm always complimented on the shape of my legs so have learned to love them x
  • Zaftique
    Zaftique Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I love boots, and can never find any that fit. I feel your pain. Wearing any other shoes makes for smexy gams, but dagnabbit, I WANT BOOTS. T_T
  • msjessicamccoy
    Options
    When you were underweight, your calves were small because you probably lost both fat and muscle mass. You can't spot reduce fat, and reducing leg muscle is generally a challenge because you walk/run.

I get it: I'm a member of the strong leg club, too...and the only boots I wear are either the kind that have stretchy uppers, or I have to get custom-made boots, which are pricey. But if you go for a classic style and take care of them, it's worth it.

I don't do leg exercises that specifically target the calves (like calf raises), although I do exercises that work my legs (squats/lunges/deadlifts). I also find that if my legs are seeming really muscular, it's because other parts of my body are being neglected...and I need to do more core and upper body work. It's about proportion. When my arms and core look badass along with my legs, it makes a difference.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Muscle density is higher in calves and forearms. To lose a noticeable amount of muscle from either would have to come from inactivity from using them. So to make your calves atrophy, you'd have to either learn to walk on your hands, or as mentioned use a wheel chair for a few months. Of course walking on them again will help them to regain their size again.
    So the reality is, you're stuck with them. This is one thing you get to blame your parents for.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • roxielu0422
    roxielu0422 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have large calves and I love them. It's one of my best features. It means we are strong. I do have issues finding boots, but we are stuck with them. Might as well embrace it.

I found boots at Avenue and Lane Bryant. The make the shafts bigger. (insert dirty joke here).
  • YumiZoomi
    Options
    Man I feel your pain! I don't like my calves either. Knee high boots are super hard to come by. But, like many others here, I have been complimented on them many a times, so I've grown to accept and like them. Lol. I still want boots though.. lol

On a serious note though, I've heard that long distance running or swimming can stretch out the muscle to be leaner so it'll look slimmer rather than bulky, round. But I don't know how true it is. I also stay away from calf raises and any other calf focused stimulation.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    YumiZoomi wrote: »
    Man I feel your pain! I don't like my calves either. Knee high boots are super hard to come by. But, like many others here, I have been complimented on them many a times, so I've grown to accept and like them. Lol. I still want boots though.. lol

On a serious note though, I've heard that long distance running or swimming can stretch out the muscle to be leaner so it'll look slimmer rather than bulky, round. But I don't know how true it is. I also stay away from calf raises and any other calf focused stimulation.

No... just no.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

Stretch them out like laffy taffy. Or Airheads.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    No problem. Just don't wear pants or boots. Pencil skirts and pumps FTW.

big-calf-muscles-on-women-legs-5.jpg

10/10 …would….well you know do all kinds of thingzzzz with those...
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh:
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh:

Yeah, that website looks real legit! :laugh:
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I understand. I have huge calves and look like a man in a dress-- well, not just because of my calves. I don't think there's much you can do, but accept them.
  • RebelDiamond
    RebelDiamond Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have big muscular calves as well but I'm quite proud of them!
    I don't really have much glute definition though because my calves, thighs and lower back bear the brunt of my weight so I focus on two things to "slim down" my calves/ build my but.
    1. Stretch your calves regularly, if they're big and hard they're probably tight (I've also been doing yoga which helps stretch out)
    2. Try teaching your glutes to activate before a leg/booty session (ie; hip raises and pressing through your heels when squatting).
  • emilyrigh
    emilyrigh Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I know how it is, I have big calves too from fruit boots and insanity. Skinny jeans that aren't part spandex are my worst nightmare because my calves don't fit, never mind taking them off haha. You'll learn to love them, trim/cut legs are sexy. Not little noodles.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    emilyrigh wrote: »
    I know how it is, I have big calves too from fruit boots and insanity. Skinny jeans that aren't part spandex are my worst nightmare because my calves don't fit, never mind taking them off haha. You'll learn to love them, trim/cut legs are sexy. Not little noodles.

^ listen to her OP ….
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I have 17 inch calves, and I don't necessarily think they LOOK large, but I have had trouble finding boots in the past. I've noticed some difference (as in, minuscule, but still a difference) in my calves as I've lost weight. I feel like my adjustable Hunters aren't as snug and boots that used to be difficult to zip are a little bit easier now. For the most part though, I think big calves are just a thing that can affect anyone. I have a lot of thin friends who have the same issues I do finding boots, so I think we're stuck with it!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    pics or these "thunder calves" don't exist...
    x2
    x3

I'd love to see these bulky/muscly calves. If they look like Hornsby's, OP wins.