sugar

Options
2»

Replies

• runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    You can certainly limit your sugar intake but you'll never eliminate it, nor should you. I've said this before to other people. I've lost and kept off 100 pounds for the last 10 years by eliminating nothing from my diet. I'm a true believer in moderation, treats and cheat meals. I love food and it took me a long time to come to terms with the fact that food was not the issue, how much of it I ate was :) About the only thing I don't eat anymore is fast food but that is because my digestive system has an adverse reaction to it LOL I try to eat healthy and whole foods most of the time but I allow myself those indulgent things that I love. Just limit what you take in and go from there!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't think new people should worry about sugar unless you have orders from your doctor. Better to track fiber (which is a minimum, not a max). You will later have to make decisions about what an appropriate limit on sugar is for you, or if you just want to track carbs or if you want to distinguish between added sugar and others, but none of that has anything to do with weight loss.

That said, if the concern is going over the limit, there are tons of foods that have little sugar. A dinner of meat (home cooked, anyway), potatoes, and green veggies won't have much at all.
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Kash3084 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    What's wrong with sugar?
    nothing, i was trying to stay within the amount on my daily amount for weight lost and i reach my limit before dinner

Hi Kash:

There are three main macros that you should track: carbs, protein, and fat. MFP allow you to track up to five different nutrients and vitamins, and you can decide which five you want to track.

Since sugar is a carb, many people track carbs and change the sugar setting to something else, like fiber.

I for instance track carbs, protein, fat, potassium, and fiber.

Some people do track sugar because they have a medical or personal interest in doing so.

If you want to change your settings, go to Settings > Diary Settings and change them in there.

Cheers!

• nyghtrain
    Options
    I actually came across that problem too. Try cheddar cheese and pepperoni and salami. High calories and almost no sugar. For me I have a hard time boosting my calories while keeping my sugar low, so I'm going to start adding these as snacks and they taste good too. Just be careful of the salt and not to eat too many. :)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    it was a typo lol, i meant sugar in the question not fat, thanks for pointing that out

You're making your diet way more complicated than it needs to be if you want to actively limit sugar. Actively get your calorie count under control FIRST. Then see how your sugars end up. Lose the weight. THEN see if you want to partition your nutrients further

+1

I believe one of the main reasons people fail is they try to change their diet too much and with too little information, or as seen in this thread, completely false information. Those who demonize sugar and promote agendas by citing n/1 studies should be ashamed of themselves. The success rate of someone going on any diet is in the single digits, I would bet those who eliminate things the rate is almost nil.

Good point prattiger65. There is some evidence that one should only lose weight eating what they will eat after they lose the weight.

• prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    it was a typo lol, i meant sugar in the question not fat, thanks for pointing that out

You're making your diet way more complicated than it needs to be if you want to actively limit sugar. Actively get your calorie count under control FIRST. Then see how your sugars end up. Lose the weight. THEN see if you want to partition your nutrients further

+1

I believe one of the main reasons people fail is they try to change their diet too much and with too little information, or as seen in this thread, completely false information. Those who demonize sugar and promote agendas by citing n/1 studies should be ashamed of themselves. The success rate of someone going on any diet is in the single digits, I would bet those who eliminate things the rate is almost nil.

Good point prattiger65. There is some evidence that one should only lose weight eating what they will eat after they lose the weight.

Completely missing the point.