Gaining Weight - Smoothies?

Options
Hey all,

(STATS: H: 5'8" W: 105 lbs A: Sedentary/Active (my job isn't too physical)

I have struggled to gain weight all of my life and my BMI is currently at 16 (2.5 under what it should be!) and I need to gain roughly 20 lbs for me to considered 'healthy'. I have recently started to drink smoothies to help improve my diet and intake more calories between meals.

Current smoothies I have tried so far:

1)
Peanut Butter (1 tbsp)
Full fat milk (250ml)
Whey Protein (30g)

2)
Black Forest Berries (250ml)
Whey Protein (100ml - not sure what that equates to in g)
Full fat milk (250ml)

Are there any others that I could try to gain weight? The calorie count on those weren't too high and the one with the peanut butter in tasted awful because it was too thick.

Are there any hints/tips out there for me?

I am willing to try anything right now just to see some improvement as the doctors just try and fob me off with anti-depressant tablets. :/

Replies

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the calorie counts being too high! Just go for it! Add Ice Cream, full fat greek yoghurt the list is endless. JoRocka even puts cheesecake in hers.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    The real issue is your activity level. I worked with a guy who was trying to gain, he was always drinking some new concoction to gain...okay, the guy rode his bike to work, 20 miles a day on his bike, went to the gym for lifting, and kickboxing. He was always in a calorie deficit.

So, it is not all about food...
  • elfman5150
    elfman5150 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I second the ice cream/full fat yogurt part. Also try adding more peanut butter, coconut oil or butter, oatmeal (increase those carbs. Easy, tasty calories), etc. Also, don't look at 18.5 as the 'ideal' BMI. That's definitely NOT the case. That's the minimum that's considered within the healthy RANGE. But not everyone is at the epitome of health at that BMI - some people are healthier at a higher BMI, e.g. 24.
    Think of it like shoe sizes: not everyone is going to have the same size, but there is a normal distribution about a certain average, just like with BMI. You would never say, "I'm a size 7 shoe. That's 3 less than I should be!"

Best of luck to you.
  • tkmxo
    tkmxo Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

I'll give the ice cream and things a go. Is there any tips to making them thinner/thicker??
  • 1miya
    1miya Posts: 1
    Options
    Smoothies/ shakes recipes
    1. Ensure substitute ~459 cal per/serv
    ( 1 cup 3x a day) empty half of the milk in a container mix ingredients, pour back in jug, and shake until blended.
    1 gallon of whole milk
    3 cans of condensed milk
    16 tbs of chocolate or strawberry
    syrup ( more or less depending on preference) = ~1377 extra calories a day.

2. Fruit Smoothie ~500 cals drink 2x a day
    1 banana
    1 cup whole milk
    1/2 cup ice cream or yogurt
    2 tbs of honey or condensed milk
    1 cup of fruit
    Protein powder
    Ice = ~ 1,000 extra calories a day

For more calories you can add carnation breakfast essential packets, ground oatmeal ( put it in blender or coffee grounder before making shakes), and peanut butter. Just add more of the liquids so it will not be too thick. Hope I helped
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    here is the only problem with drinking smoothies OP …they are going take you feel "full" because they fill up your stomach, which is going to hamper your ability to eat more..

my suggestion - ditch the smoothies and just eat real food…steak, chicken, bread, rice, pasta, ice cream, cookies, bagels, etc….

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    The real issue is your activity level. I worked with a guy who was trying to gain, he was always drinking some new concoction to gain...okay, the guy rode his bike to work, 20 miles a day on his bike, went to the gym for lifting, and kickboxing. He was always in a calorie deficit.

So, it is not all about food...

OP said he was sedentary.
  • lucygoesrawr
    lucygoesrawr Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    It's cold - hot chocolate?

250ml whole milk
    50g chocolate
    30ml double/heavy cream
    marshmallows!

That'd give you lots of calories. Though I suppose it won't help you in terms of improving your diet as you said in your first post. But you could just eat it in addition to your smoothie. Oh well. Just an idea. Hot chocolate is hardly ever mentioned on this forum - suppose they're unpopular in America?
  • elfman5150
    elfman5150 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I love hot chocolate! I make 'hot chocolate oatmeal,' which is just oatmeal, chocolate whey, milk, cocoa powder, and double chocolate gelato all mixed together.
  • tkmxo
    tkmxo Posts: 8
    Options
    1miya wrote: »
    Smoothies/ shakes recipes
    1. Ensure substitute ~459 cal per/serv
    ( 1 cup 3x a day) empty half of the milk in a container mix ingredients, pour back in jug, and shake until blended.
    1 gallon of whole milk
    3 cans of condensed milk
    16 tbs of chocolate or strawberry
    syrup ( more or less depending on preference) = ~1377 extra calories a day.

2. Fruit Smoothie ~500 cals drink 2x a day
    1 banana
    1 cup whole milk
    1/2 cup ice cream or yogurt
    2 tbs of honey or condensed milk
    1 cup of fruit
    Protein powder
    Ice = ~ 1,000 extra calories a day

For more calories you can add carnation breakfast essential packets, ground oatmeal ( put it in blender or coffee grounder before making shakes), and peanut butter. Just add more of the liquids so it will not be too thick. Hope I helped
    I'll give this one a go - thank you! I'll have to convert the measurements as we don't work in gallons here in the UK - well, I don't anyway.
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    here is the only problem with drinking smoothies OP …they are going take you feel "full" because they fill up your stomach, which is going to hamper your ability to eat more..

my suggestion - ditch the smoothies and just eat real food…steak, chicken, bread, rice, pasta, ice cream, cookies, bagels, etc….
    That's not entirely possible with my job working long hours. I can squeeze in a smoothie here and there but a full meal isn't possible - thank you anyway.
    It's cold - hot chocolate?

250ml whole milk
    50g chocolate
    30ml double/heavy cream
    marshmallows!

That'd give you lots of calories. Though I suppose it won't help you in terms of improving your diet as you said in your first post. But you could just eat it in addition to your smoothie. Oh well. Just an idea. Hot chocolate is hardly ever mentioned on this forum - suppose they're unpopular in America?

I'm not a fan of hot chocolate (unless it's from Costa!) but I suppose I could learn to like it.
  • XavierPR2
    XavierPR2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

I second this. I recommend looking at Scoobysworkshop.com for all your fitness needs. You will not be sorry.
  • rmyers14
    rmyers14 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I like to add oats and coconut oil to my shake. I usually only have one a day though. To gain weight you have to be in a caloric surplus, so that's going to mean significantly upping your calories.
  • ELiCiT23
    ELiCiT23 Posts: 106 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    more peanut butter, full fat milk. Wanna get crazy? Then add a few scoops of ice cream lol.

Here are a few things high in calories:
    Smoothie:
    2-3 Scoops Protein powder
    2 cups of whole fat milk
    4 tbsp Peanut Butter (1 serving is 2tbsp so its actually 2 servings)
    1 banana
    1 cup oats
    (About 800-900 calories with a good protein/fat/carb ratio)
    If you aint watching macros much and just want weight, add an ice cream scoop

Post Workout mass gainer
    2-3 scoops whey
    1 everything bagel
    4 tbsp Peanut Butter
    3 servings of Concord grape jelly
    1 Banana
    (900+ calories)

Breakfast:
    1.5 cups oatmeal
    Mix in 1 cup of granola
    Mix in 1/2 or 1 cup Raisins
    Mix in 1 or 1.5 servings of mixed unsalted nuts like cashews, hazelnuts and walnuts
    4 Whole eggs
    6 egg whites
    Down it with 1 cup of milk mixed with 1 scoop whey

Easy 3000 calories with 3 meals if you dont have much time.

OH! One more thing. Choosing whole foods over shakes/smoothies is always best for gaining weight due to better micronutrient intake from real whole foods. So add milk and cheese into them mashed potatoes and smother that roast half chicken with BBQ sauce and olive oil
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I'll copy and paste some of my favourite ones from my recipe box. Stuff like grinding up raw oats or chia seeds first adds thickness, or I use 1 cup water or coconut water or milk to thin it out.

-Choc recovery smoothie: 420 cal, but it would be a bit more if you use full fat milk obviously :)

1.00 cup(s), Water
    30.00 g(s), Wpc - Chocolate
    100.00 ml(s), Skim Milk
    45.00 g(s), Bananas - Raw/frozen
    15.00 g(s), Raw Cacao powder
    15.00 g(s), Cold Crunch/milo/nesquick powder etc
    30.00 g(s), Rolled Oats

-Berry recovery smoothie: 292 cal. More if using full fat yogurt.

40.00 g(s), Bananas - Raw/frozen
    30.00 g(s), Whey- Chocolate
    5.00 g(s), Acai Berry Powder
    1.00 cup (8 fl oz), Water
    50.00 g frozen, Mixed Berries
    100.00 g(s), Light Mixed Berry Yogurt

-Strawberry Oatmeal Breakfast Smoothie-218 cal

120.00 ml(s), Milk - Nonfat (fat free or skim)
    20.00 g(s), Cereals - Oats, regular and quick and instant, not fortified, dry (oatmeal, rolled oats)
    0.50 banana, 1 Med
    7.00 medium (1-1/4" dia), Strawberries - Raw
    1.00 ml(s), Vanilla extract
    1.00 tsp(s), Sugar White Granulated, by Cup

Banana, Mango, Avocado and Kale smoothie- 161 cal-2 serves.

1.00 cup(s), Coconut Water (Unsweetened, 100% Pure)
    0.50 cup(s), Kale - Raw
    100.00 g, Mango (Raw)
    100.00 g, Bananas - Raw
    22.00 grams, Avocado
    150.00 g, Ski Soleil Diet No Fat Peach Mango Yoghurt
  • TheMetalMan0
    TheMetalMan0 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    ljUFULG.jpg
    Add peanut butter/ice cream etc to add more calories.