Anxiety While Working Out?

Options
Recently, I've been really anxious. I've had anxiety disorder for a while and today has been no exception. I don't take any anti-anxiatics because I haven't found the right one yet. Problem is that when I'm anxious I'm not sure whether I should be working out or not because of my symptoms. I get a racing heart, jitters, shortness of breath, and blood rushing to specific parts of my body - say my chest or my hands. There is really no rhyme of reason to where. I'm worried about working out while having symptoms. My physician says that it would be good to workout because it minimizes the adrenaline rush but as I was today, my symptoms started acting up. Is there a potential for harm here? Anyone have an opinion or some experience in this area?

Replies

• estud003
    estud003 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am not a doctor, but there is probably no potential for harm. The symptoms you were experiencing might even have just been effects of starting a workout regimen! (shortness of breath, racing heart, jitters). If you continue to work out you will probably find that it can help you manage your anxiety.
    Also- maybe you were even a little anxious about the workout itself?
  • Sylli123
    Options
    estud003 wrote: »
    I am not a doctor, but there is probably no potential for harm. The symptoms you were experiencing might even have just been effects of starting a workout regimen! (shortness of breath, racing heart, jitters). If you continue to work out you will probably find that it can help you manage your anxiety.
    Also- maybe you were even a little anxious about the workout itself?

My symptoms have been the same for as long as I can remember. I've had anxiety for 6 years with the last three being at higher than before. It isn't that it flared when I was staring to work out or a few hours before. They've been present all day. My worry is that with my heart beating so fast and a workout that would make it race even more... What happens when your body begins to overwork itself? My last anxiety attack felt more like a heart attack if anything - it wasn't but it felt like my heart was going to explode. What happens if I do happen to have an anxiety attack while working out when my symptoms alone affect my heart so much?
  • Medilia
    Medilia Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Personally I have found that my anxiety goes away when working out. But that is me personally. I love lifting weights when I get anxious.
  • Sylli123
    Options
    Medilia wrote: »
    Personally I have found that my anxiety goes away when working out. But that is me personally. I love lifting weights when I get anxious.

well, when I was working out today, they seemed to get worse. Do you have similar symptoms?
  • ShannonGarb
    ShannonGarb Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have anxiety too. Just a side note in all this check out the "Anxiety Guru" blog! You will love him and he may be able to answer some of your concerns. Good luck! I'm with ya!
  • Pootler74
    Pootler74 Posts: 223 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I get this too. Only in my case it's a leftover from a previous life of extreme anxiety. The increased heart rate from exercise seems to trigger an inappropriate response. This is especially bad if I've just tried to increase speed or stamina.

If it's really bad, I just slow down. Often using the heart rate monitors on the gym machines - and seeing that my heart rate is going down when I slow down - will reassure me that I'm not about to keel over. Getting fitter in general has significantly reduced my anxiety symptoms - I know my heart is healther, so I have evidence to back myself up when I'm trying to convince myself that I'm not about to die.

I think I would worry too if I was having the symptoms you are, and worrying would make them even worse. How about making an appointment with your doctor again. Tell him everything you've said here. Stress that you are trying to get healthy and this is impeding you. Perhaps you could go in for regular blood pressure or other checks to reassure you that you are ok. Perhaps there are other tests that could be done, especially the ones that will tell if your heart is healthy or not. Having evidence that your heart is not really about to explode could help reduce the anxiety enormously.
  • fizzleh
    fizzleh Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I suffer from Anxiety also and what makes it worse is when I stop going to the gym for a while and then start back up.

It always takes me a couple weeks of gym when I start back up for it to settle and for me to get used to going again and ignoring others around me.
  • Sylli123
    Options
    Pootler74 wrote: »
    I get this too. Only in my case it's a leftover from a previous life of extreme anxiety. The increased heart rate from exercise seems to trigger an inappropriate response. This is especially bad if I've just tried to increase speed or stamina.

If it's really bad, I just slow down. Often using the heart rate monitors on the gym machines - and seeing that my heart rate is going down when I slow down - will reassure me that I'm not about to keel over. Getting fitter in general has significantly reduced my anxiety symptoms - I know my heart is healther, so I have evidence to back myself up when I'm trying to convince myself that I'm not about to die.

I think I would worry too if I was having the symptoms you are, and worrying would make them even worse. How about making an appointment with your doctor again. Tell him everything you've said here. Stress that you are trying to get healthy and this is impeding you. Perhaps you could go in for regular blood pressure or other checks to reassure you that you are ok. Perhaps there are other tests that could be done, especially the ones that will tell if your heart is healthy or not. Having evidence that your heart is not really about to explode could help reduce the anxiety enormously.

Thank you for your help. The thing is, I've already done those tests and pretty recently. In fact, I didn't even know that my chest pains were from anxiety until only five months ago. And to be honest, I can remember having these symptoms when I was at my most fit (5'1" 132LBS) and that was 10 years ago and maybe more. I recently went to a cardiologist for a stress test and an EKG under the impression that my chest pains and racing heart were from CVD or maybe worse. He said even though I'm overweight, my heart was in good condition. And that it may be related to anxiety. I have the evidence that it's not a problem. My concern, however, comes from the following, keeping in mind that I have no heart problems: when my heart rate is elevated from anxiety (pre-anxiety attack) and I add to the heart racing by working, say the anxiety gets worse by a sudden trigger into a full blown anxiety attack. What's the best and worst case scenario? The problem is that actually being able to test it is next to impossible considering that having a cardio exam and an anxiety attack are two different variables. getting an appointment for a cardio exam already takes like 3 months. Who's to say that I'll be anxious then? or who's to say that I'll be able to get an appointment when I am anxious. Doctors can't exactly test you for symptoms you don't have.

Does that make sense? Because I am not able to factor both exercise stress to the heart and anxiety stress at the same time, I can't really know for sure what outcomes can happen. That's why I wanted to know if anyone had any experience with this. Unfortunately, the only way to really test it is to just exercise through it and hope for the best and thats not exactly a comforting thought. I'm just wondering if I should avoid working out when I know I'm close to an anxiety attack.
  • Sylli123
    Options
    fizzleh wrote: »
    I suffer from Anxiety also and what makes it worse is when I stop going to the gym for a while and then start back up.

It always takes me a couple weeks of gym when I start back up for it to settle and for me to get used to going again and ignoring others around me.

The problem with testing hypotheses with anxiety is that not everyone has the same symptoms. So going to the gym may ease it for you, but for me it just seems like added stress. Think of it this way: when you're really tired but you get little to no sleep, what happens after a few days? you crash. My concern is will I crash? But I can't really test if I will or won't in a safe and sane manner.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just start with walking and strength training? Strength training is great for you and walking means that you won't be putting too much stress on your heart. Either one you can stop and have your heart rate return to normal quickly.

The ONLY reason I'm suggesting this is because your doctor has already suggested that you exercise. If you're really concerned, you need to be talking to an expert (like your doctor or therapist) instead of the internet.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a lot to put up with. I personally would go back to the doctor and discuss the idea of trying medication. I do take medication for depression and anxiety and it works well. However the first one I tried did not work well, it took a while. It was worth all that, and the weight gain from the first med (won't lie about that) that I finally sweated back off of my butt after all this time. What I take is called Lexapro. Your doctor can help you figure out whether you need one and which it could be. It would make sense to let the doc know that, as you are working on weight loss, you would not prefer a med that is known for causing weight gain, if the doc does decide that meds are the way to go.
  • hezzie92
    hezzie92 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Let me ask, do these attacks come on out of nowhere, and seem random, or are you anxious about something and then you have the attack? I only ask because I suffered from something that sounds similar to you, and was misdiagnosed for years. I do actually have anxiety, so it was easy to attribute the attacks to an anxiety attack. What I had was called SVT (Supraventricular tachycardia). Out of nowhere, my heart would start racing to up to 240 BPM. Episodes would last from a few minute to a few hours. It kind of seemed like an anxiety attack. My first episode was actually during exercise. To rule heart problems out, I had all the tests done including wearing the holter monitor and nothing was found. 10 years of this and I finally pushed my doctors and said I really don't think it's anxiety. Then for the first time they mentioned SVT - but they said the only way to confirm a diagnosis was to have an EKG during an attack. Took 2 trips to the ER until they could finally catch it (first time the attack ended while I was in the waiting room!). Once confirmed, I was able to have a cardiac ablation to correct it and have been episode free for 4 years. After the procedure is when I really began my journey to get healthy, because like you, I was afraid to work out. I'm not a doctor, so I'm not saying this is what you have, but it caught my eye when you mentioned "no rhyme or reason as to where". I definitely think you need to keep at it with your doctors until you can get this under control - you shouldn't have to suffer. If it is anxiety, there are so many new med out there - there is bound to be one that will work for you. Good luck!
  • Sylli123
    Options
    hezzie92 wrote: »
    Let me ask, do these attacks come on out of nowhere, and seem random, or are you anxious about something and then you have the attack? I only ask because I suffered from something that sounds similar to you, and was misdiagnosed for years. I do actually have anxiety, so it was easy to attribute the attacks to an anxiety attack. What I had was called SVT (Supraventricular tachycardia). Out of nowhere, my heart would start racing to up to 240 BPM. Episodes would last from a few minute to a few hours. It kind of seemed like an anxiety attack. My first episode was actually during exercise. To rule heart problems out, I had all the tests done including wearing the holter monitor and nothing was found. 10 years of this and I finally pushed my doctors and said I really don't think it's anxiety. Then for the first time they mentioned SVT - but they said the only way to confirm a diagnosis was to have an EKG during an attack. Took 2 trips to the ER until they could finally catch it (first time the attack ended while I was in the waiting room!). Once confirmed, I was able to have a cardiac ablation to correct it and have been episode free for 4 years. After the procedure is when I really began my journey to get healthy, because like you, I was afraid to work out. I'm not a doctor, so I'm not saying this is what you have, but it caught my eye when you mentioned "no rhyme or reason as to where". I definitely think you need to keep at it with your doctors until you can get this under control - you shouldn't have to suffer. If it is anxiety, there are so many new med out there - there is bound to be one that will work for you. Good luck!

If I have an attack, I have the symptoms beforehand for a while only they're minimal and I can keep it under control. But a trigger will cause the symptoms. The actual attack happens at random when I am having small symptoms. Like I'll be doing well managing the anxiety (or so I'll think) then suddenly I'm in full blown panic mode. I've only had one time when I my anxiety attack happened suddenly, but that was because my body was pumped with sugar water for a diabetes test, which I don't have. As far as medicines go, I've tried a few but none of them have been effective without side effects that outweigh the benefits. I'm still looking for the right one.

As for talking to a doctor, I've already done that and have not gotten sufficient results. This was a last resort to see if anyone had been in my shoes and what helped them or if someone had actually experienced the situation and live to talk about it. Maybe to see if my doctor is missing something or ruling something out that maybe he shouldn't be ruling out without inspecting it first. Like Hezzie92 who had to push for more testing even though the doctor had other opinions about her diagnosis. And a doctor's perspective is significantly different than a patient.
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    That must be really hard. I have problems with anxiety, but not all same symptoms as you, but I do get the jitters and racing heart. I also get really get really cold really quickly, like on the 5 minute journey to the gym, and so arrive shivering/ shaking and not always sure if the shakes are cold or anxiety, both or something else, (I am quite prone to hyperthermia) and then get anxious about it all and it all builds.
    For me, most days exercise really helps, however there are some days it is too much. In the past the gym itself because a big anxiety issue and I had panic attacks there. I am in a different gym now, been there a couple of years. It's smaller than some so its easier to talk to staff, and I do lots of freestyle classes. They know that I have good days and bad days and have been very supportive, but I have to tell them what I need - sometimes I have a bad day and I know I need to go and work off some frustration but I cant speak to anyone and do my own thing, sometimes I need to know there is someone around so I do a class but make sure I go at my own pace.
    - I hope you find something that works for you, and things improve.
  • vaporhockey83
    vaporhockey83 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have anxiety and panic disorder. I find it very common to become agoraphobic while working out. It's all a matter of focus. Put yourself outside of the box that you feel trapped in. I have medications, but I don't take them unless they're the ones for immediate relief (Xanax, Klonopin). If you focus on your workout rather than the anxiety, the workout should take precedence over anxiousness. Don't worry about other people that you might think are watching you, judging you, or anything that might be a cause for anxiousness/panic. Honestly, if this is bothering you and you aren't on a medication, you should contact your doctor that is willing to work with you to find a medication that works. Even if it's something like Xanax or Klonopin which I wouldn't recommend except in extreme cases (extremely addicting...and I know because I have to take them every day or every other day). Otherwise, get a check up and explain your situation. I've tricked myself out of workouts because of anxiety. It's very easy to do. In the long run, your endorphins will kill anxiety and promote a better level of well being naturally. I'd suggest finding machines and weights that make you feel comfortable for now. Feel freedom. Above anything I've said, please, go see a doctor and make sure anything you're feeling is a symptom of something that isn't anxiety. Start by walking if you need to or lightly on cardio machines. Lift lightly. Anything beyond being sedentary is good. If your doc clears you of just pure anxiety, you have the clarity that it's mind over matter. A lot of the time it's your brain/feelings that you are fighting over an otherwise healthy body. Physical activity is great for anxiety generally speaking. I wish you the best. I know the pains of anxiety/panic with exercise. You aren't alone. As for doctors...I had one that put on everything on the planet....look around....they aren't all well trained for the mental aspect as much as the easy physical diagnosis...here's some antibiotics and steroids, etc. I finally found one that takes my mental issues more seriously and I'm doing a lot better.