Lifting vs. Cardio, Sweat..

Options
So I recently started lifting in my University's weight room (with a partner who is fairly educated and knows his way around the place), and I'm wondering if most people lift and do cardio in the same day? I'm a weirdo who thoroughly enjoys cardio, and I can be drenched in sweat and perfectly happy after my workout. I noticed that when I'm lifting I don't sweat nearly as much... in my mind I feel like sweating=a great workout. Whether or not that is true, I don't know.
I guess I'm just wondering if it's normal not to sweat a whole lot while lifting? Or if I need to step it up? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Unless you're doing circuit training with weights, it's pretty normal. I get a bit sweaty if I'm lifting up around my max, but otherwise not really. It's not a sign of a poor workout, just a different workout.
  • sm0113
    sm0113 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I was hoping that was the case.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I sweat when it's hot out. Doesn't mean sitting in a hot room is a good workout.

You sweat because you are hot, there are a lot of things that factor into "hot."

Some people do cardio same day as lifting, some people do it other days. Try it out and see what works best for you.
  • tbfincher
    Options
    The only time I sweat when lifting weights is when I'm doing heavy compound exercises such as squats and deadlifts.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Amount of sweat is not a reliable indicator of the intensity level or effectiveness of a workout
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    It is perfectly OK to do both cardio and weights on the same day. You can do one in the morning and the other in the evening or everything all at once. Whatever you want to.
  • cioube
    cioube Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I do more weights (TRX) than cardio. You burn more calories during the workout with cardio. However, building muscles will make you burn more calories during the day, as using the muscles will be more of an "effort" (kinda).
    The amount of sweat isn't really an indicator. Some people sweat more than others during the same effort.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Unless you're doing circuit training with weights, it's pretty normal. I get a bit sweaty if I'm lifting up around my max, but otherwise not really. It's not a sign of a poor workout, just a different workout.

Agreed. I find I sweat a bit more doing squats and deads, but very little doing other lifts.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    I sweat when it's hot out. Doesn't mean sitting in a hot room is a good workout.

You sweat because you are hot, there are a lot of things that factor into "hot."

Some people do cardio same day as lifting, some people do it other days. Try it out and see what works best for you.

this pretty much... and I'll add to get over the "sweating makes me feel like I had a good workout" feeling- the sooner the better.