When will people notice??

Options
Hi guys! i've been on my weight loss journey since the end of November, so far i've lost 1 stone and 13 pounds and i'm loving it (in just under two months aswell!)

When will people start to notice? i still look the same in the mirror, i see myself everyday obviously... some clothes fit abit better, which is good but when will people notice?

I was 25 stone something, i'm down to 23 stone 4 now, so hopefully into the 22's next week....

Thanks alot

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    Options
    Well, you haven't lost enough to show, that's all. Keep it up and it will.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    The more weight you have to lose, the longer it will take to be really obvious to anyone. 15 pounds will hardly make a dent on someone who weighed 400 pounds, but might be enough to make someone who weighed 120 pounds to look sick, for example!

At such a high weight (Google tells me that 23 stone is about 146 kg), it will probably take a good while before it becomes obvious. But keep it up and it will definitely happen! :)
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Take pictures. I can't see a difference in the mirror, but I sure can in pictures. Keep going!
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    i was about 3.5 stone down when people started to notice but it wasnt until i lost 4 stone and hit the 12 stone mark that half my face disappeared! Then everyone noticed! Remember, it will take time, at some point you will be sick of the comments!
  • jakicooke
    jakicooke Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    fantastic work you have done really well getting started. the most important thing is that you have started and you are being successful - AND YOU can tell the difference in how you feel / clothes etc. People will notice and yeah that's nice (although I found it abit embarrassing at first) but you are doing this for you and don't lose sight of that. My issue was that for many many months I could not see the changes myself that others were commenting on ha ha. please keep it up, just think where you will be in another 2 months....
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    They will eventually, don't get discouraged by something like that. It takes time as people have said but also, I always find it is much, much more difficult to notice the changes in people's bodies in winter - we're all so "swaddled" in layers of clothes. Just keep at it.

Also, if you would like to get some recognition for it and are OK discussing it, why not just mention your success so far to a few select friends?
  • domduv1987
    Options
    They will eventually, don't get discouraged by something like that. It takes time as people have said but also, I always find it is much, much more difficult to notice the changes in people's bodies in winter - we're all so "swaddled" in layers of clothes. Just keep at it.

Also, if you would like to get some recognition for it and are OK discussing it, why not just mention your success so far to a few select friends?

I have told friends, and do put my weight loss on facebook weekly... i just want it to show thats all :)
  • domduv1987
    Options
    Thanks to you all by the way
  • Victoriamrs
    Victoriamrs Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    qr15202y2bmi.jpg

Great job as it says keep going!
  • jonsmithkidd
    jonsmithkidd Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    You're doing great, people will start to notice soon. Keep going!
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    qr15202y2bmi.jpg

Great job as it says keep going!

Love this :)
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I think there is a continuum of when people notice to when they are comfortable saying something. Some of my closest friends said things to me within 20 lbs, but its only now that I'm down more than 50 lbs that acquaintances, co-workers, and other peers are starting to say things.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You're the only person to notice that matters.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Take pictures and measurements for yourself! Honestly, it took my family 30 pounds and 4 jean sizes to notice :| but they are oblivious....so I don't hold it against them lol
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Seriously - who cares?

Living your life for others' approval is a recipe for a whole host of psychological issues.

The only relevant question is : Do YOU like what you see?
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I think it is normal and human to be interested in the opinion of others. It's only problematic if you rely on others approval.

I think it was about 20 lbs down when I got the first notice from someone who a) works with weight issues professionally and b) outspoken. I started getting much more notice at 40 lbs down.
  • KarenE86
    KarenE86 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I think people have noticed and just haven't said anything. It's awkward to comment on someone's weight so I know a lot of people just don't say anything at all
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    People started noticing when I had lost about 7% of my body weight. However, they also knew I was trying to lose weight, so they were more attuned to it. I'm not sure someone who didn't already know I was working on it would even notice at this point.
  • cmking62
    cmking62 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It took 20 pounds for me before anyone noticed but I'll never forget when I was down about 50 pounds and someone asked if I'd done something different to my hair!
  • domduv1987
    Options
    I'm not relying on others, its nice for people to notice change.

I'm doing this for myself and do not go the gym 6 nights a week for anyones approval.... I find it strange when people say things like 'Living your life for others' approval' as thats not what i've asked. I've asked when do people usually notice, as i think majority of people will agree that it is a motivation booster

To everyone who has replied positively, many thanks :)