Leslie Sansone

Options
Hello All,

How do you log the Leslie Sansone walking dvds? Currently I'm just listing them as walking 3.0 mph (moderate pace). But honestly those dvd's are 3 miles and 45 minutes each. I'm just curious to see if anyone has found a more accurate way to log this activity.

Thanks

Replies

• astroathena219
    astroathena219 Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I was using a heart rate monitor for a while, and found the best fit to be either Low-Impact Aerobics, or Brisk Walking (4.0 - 5.0 mph) when I really push myself (e.g., wear hand weights, do some jog boosters, etc.) My HRM says I burn between 80 - 120 calories per Leslie mile.

I now wear a Fitbit, and let it do the conversion for me (although even that's unclear how it logs the exercise & computes calorie expenditure). It's a little tricky because Leslie's miles don't always equal to a mile when measured in steps (~ 2000 steps/mile) -- I measured it and figured out that you have to cut your pace in half whenever you do sidesteps, knee lifts, and kicks -- but concluded that a Leslie mile is a lot more work when compared to walking an equivalent distance/#-of-steps (e.g., 4 steps of walking in-place/forwards is much easier to do than 2 leg lifts with arm movement).

Anyways, that's a long answer to your short question. I think Low-Impact Aerobics is the closest approx. to what Leslie miles are doing (aka. it's a lot more than simply walking!)

Later edit: Oh, and I just found a great article that Leslie wrote herself -- she recommends logging her miles as "Aerobics, General"

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/7-get-started-walking-tips-from-leslie-sansone/
  • ErinK09
    ErinK09 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I log it under low impact aerobics.
  • OKfarmgal
    OKfarmgal Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I do the 3 or 4 mile and log it as aerobics, general. Leslie Sansone had an article on the blogs and recommended logging it as that.
  • notcorky
    notcorky Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM and do 3 or 4 miles. I can get anywhere from 3 - 450 calories depending on how hard or easy I push myself. I also use 2 pound hand weights when I do her DVDs.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Depending on which workout. I was logging mine either low impact aerobic or high impact. My old HRM showed higher cals than what MFP showed. I plan on getting a Polar to see the comparison.
  • skyfall91
    Options
    I usually get around 80cals a mile depending how fast I walk - I usually slow jog. I know when I do the 4 mile workout I usually burn around 350cals and feel great for it x Before I got my polar ft4 I used to guess at 5cals a minute burned for low impact stuff, so any extra is a bonus
  • Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    For 3 miles, look under walking 4.0 mph, very brisk pace. That's for 3 miles in 45 minutes. I started off using her videos and had the same question. It's partially because it isn't just walking. She works out other areas as well.
  • Geojerm
    Geojerm Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    notcorky wrote: »
    I use a HRM and do 3 or 4 miles. I can get anywhere from 3 - 450 calories depending on how hard or easy I push myself. I also use 2 pound hand weights when I do her DVDs.

I read on Leslie's website the average person would burn 100- to 125 calories per mile (more if you use'booster' like handweights)

Which works out about the same as the aerobics entry
  • altheacannon1981
    Options
    I use my Polar Ft7 log it in... :)