PIzza

Options
13»

Replies

• pinkiezoom
    pinkiezoom Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Try making your own, make them small, not like a bin lid, go super thing base, your own tomato sauce so you know exactly what is in it, and then use cheese, but try low fat mozarella mixed in with the normal stuff, and put peppers on there as they are tasty x
  • hanzibobs931
    hanzibobs931 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Lazz5k wrote: »
    I opened this up just because of the subject line <33333

I do love pizza and I just wanted some ideas. I think some people are taking a tad seriously :P
  • brandigyrl81
    brandigyrl81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Definitely try making your own pizza using your own ingredients. Unfortunately, there's really no way around the calories in pizza. You just have to make it fit within your goals. Also, you mentioned you have hip and knees problems. Have you tried swimming (water aerobics, aqua zumba, etc.) or even cycling? Once you find some type of exercise that works for you, it will be a lot easier to fit that pizza within your goals.
  • hanzibobs931
    Options
    Definitely try making your own pizza using your own ingredients. Unfortunately, there's really no way around the calories in pizza. You just have to make it fit within your goals. Also, you mentioned you have hip and knees problems. Have you tried swimming (water aerobics, aqua zumba, etc.) or even cycling? Once you find some type of exercise that works for you, it will be a lot easier to fit that pizza within your goals.

I can not stand swimming I am scared of water (that's another story) I am currently trying to run again progress is slow and its not always possible to plan when I can do it but I am getting there I will do it and I will look FABULOUS

I would even give pizza up to look FABULOUS (and that's a big deal but it will be worth it)
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,117 Member
    Options
    I had 2 slices of pizza last night. I ordered from the local spot. I weighed 2 slices and they totalled 188 grams. I rounded to 190 and had a total of 498 calories. I like plain cheese pizza, no extra cheese. When I buy Palermo's Margherita Thin Crust Pizza from Costco, I can eat half the pizza (about 188 grams) also for about 500 calories.
    Lastly, when I was really on point with my calories, I would buy Bobolli thin crust, pizza sauce, low fat shredded mozzarella, turkey peperoni, Tomatoes, Onions. Place in oven and Wala... Homemade Pizza for a lot less calories.. I can't remember how many. :smiley:
  • mom2aeg03
    mom2aeg03 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Jagerin wrote: »
    I love pizza. I can sit and eat a whole pizza without even thinking about it. I have a hard time controlling it. Especially if I'm upset or in a mood.

My solution has been to make my own substitute pizzas that are smaller. I've tried making my own crust and using the pita breads and naan breads and what not. I've come to two recipes that work for me.

1. 1 Flat bread (I use Flatout Light Original), bake it for a few minutes at 350 till it's crispy like a thin crust pizza. 60grams of Barilla All Natural Marinara Sauce spread over the crust. 1.4 oz portobello cup chopped. About .3oz baby spinach chopped. 2grams fresh basil chopped. 1 oz Mozzarella cheese. Put it back in the oven till the cheese is melted and then slice.

Comes out to about 220 calories for the whole thing and it seems to satisfy my pizza craving and still fill me up.

2. I take a large porobello cap, remove the stem and scrape out the gills. Fill it with spinach, diced onions, sauce, mozzarella and parmesan, and basil. Bake for about 30 minutes. I really like mushrooms, so this really wouldn't work for someone who doesn't.

Sometimes I add on some Meatless Soy Crumbles or a little Chorizo.

These sound soooo good! Gonna give them a try. How many calories for #2?

Thanks!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    avskk wrote: »
    Do you have a Papa Murphy's? I love their pizza, the thin crust ones are delicious, and most of those come out around 250 calories/slice. I find I can fit that in easily even at a lower calorie intake, and if I'm at a moderate deficit I can fit two or three pieces (depending on toppings) in along with a big salad. It's tasty, it's real pizza -- I would hang myself rather than try a cauliflower "crust" -- and I get enough of it to be very satisfactory.

im in the UK do we have them here I have never seen one :smiley:

UK I see - Pizza Express Leggera menu (think they cut out some of the middle and plonk a salad in there). Under 500 cals.

pizzaexpress.com/our-food/eating-healthily/
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Rocket on margherita pizza *slaver*
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Like a few others have mentioned, I definitely recommend going for homemade pizza in your case. Even though the overall ingredients are similar, my homemade pizza is definitely lower in calories than commercial pizza.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    my partner would never go for this and I wont be able to sit and watch him and his freakishly fast metabolism eat a whole pizza. have you found a pizza base alternative that is nice :)

Most of the time I make my own with very thin crust, lean meats and reduced fat cheese. Now and then we splurge for high calorie takeout and I just go over on those days. I am NOT one of those people that wants to just eat one or two slices of pizza to meet a calorie goal.
  • smithjl2
    smithjl2 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've made whole grain crust before and it turned out great :-) Try making mini think crust pizzas, enough to get your fix but control your portions.
  • hanzibobs931
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Rocket on margherita pizza *slaver*

sounds amazing :)
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    There's lots of good ideas here OP! Looks like you've got a fun solution with the homemade pizza too :smiley:

I too love pizza and know I would most likely end up eating too many cals if I ordered in regularly. I do the pita pizza thing for lunch several times a week. I work from home and it makes an easy and satisfying lunch at around 350 calories, depending on the toppings. For ordering in, just eating a piece or two with a huge side salad would probably be the best bet for me. Also love the idea of freezing the rest - I'm going to try that.

** Just in case anyone wants a tip for the best way to reheat pizza, here goes (this works and it's awesome - SO much better than the microwave):

Reheat the pizza on low heat, in a non stick frying pan with a lid. No oil. It takes five plus minutes usually but the bottom gets nice and crisp while the top warms and gets melty again.
  • wanttolose40lbs
    wanttolose40lbs Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Thin crust with canadian bacon and pineapple
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Thin crust, homemade. Best solution, IMO. If I want pizza, there is no satisfying substitute.

But, more often I really just want melted cheese and crunch. Then pizza is just one way to satisfy. In that case, I'll make some kind of melt (tuna or sausage, usually) on a toasted English muffin or toasted flat bread, making sure everything is well seasoned.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid we used to make mini pizzas using english muffins as the base. A little sauce, a slice of mozza, some pepperoni and maybe a couple of mushrooms. Just enough and no leftovers to tempt.