Diet Help. Ideas.

Options

Replies

• musicbethany94
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    I would love for someone to post a diet or two that I can follow... I'm having trouble finding one. I am better when I have something I need to follow. A plan. Thanks in advance! :)
    Um, am I missing something or is MFP pretty much a diet plan? Or look up IIFYM. Just don't let some bro hear you call IIFYM a diet or they'll freak out. But it is basically.

Yea sorry, I guess I was seeing if anyone had specific diets they followed like "the military diet" or some of the others out there.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I would love for someone to post a diet or two that I can follow... I'm having trouble finding one. I am better when I have something I need to follow. A plan. Thanks in advance! :)
    Um, am I missing something or is MFP pretty much a diet plan? Or look up IIFYM. Just don't let some bro hear you call IIFYM a diet or they'll freak out. But it is basically.

Yea sorry, I guess I was seeing if anyone had specific diets they followed like "the military diet" or some of the others out there.

Yeah. No. Those are fads, and will not give you long term success. Also, I resent it being called the military diet, unless you are scarfing down as much as possible while someone screams at you or eating MREs, it has naught to do with the military.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    There is a "groups" section under the community tab. I'm sure there are groups out there for people doing every kind of diet like 5/2, mediterranean, paleo, etc.

For me, I tried some of those and found them too restrictive. I couldn't stick with a diet that took away bread or dairy or insisted I could "never" eat something pre-packaged. I'm in the eat what you like/calories in vs. calories out camp. That being said I find that I have to eat mostly foods I would consider healthy. If I don't, I find I have to starve to stay under my calorie goal.
  • af_wife2004
    af_wife2004 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    If you would like to add me as a friend, my diary is open to friends and you can see what I eat. It sounds like you need more flavorful ideas on what to do with food. I also used the http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ to get a better breakdown of my calories/macros. I used the iifym numbers when I met with a nutritionist and it was only slightly off from his recommendations.
  • aplcr0331
    aplcr0331 Posts: 186 Member
    Options

I think the point is that you are not on a "diet". You need to eliminate that word right now. As people on here often say it has to be a sustainable lifestyle change. You can eat anything you want, as long as you are at a caloric deficit.

You've already mentioned the exercise which is great, now you need to focus on the food/nutrition. Use the MFP app it asks easy quick questions and will give you a goal to eat at a deficit based on how much you want to lose per week.

I'm severly obese so I chose 2 pounds, depending on how much weight you need to lose, that's what your daily calorie limit will be.

You'll get some snark here and there, but you actually seem to respond to general good advice (which puts you way ahead of many that come on here asking about diets). The fact that you are willing to listen is a huge benefit for you.

The simplicity (and science) of counting calories is really appealing. There's no "bad" food you can't have. I ate a very low calorie breakfast and lunch yesterday and had plenty of calories leftover to eat some chips with salsa and sour cream along with my 14 year old sons "taco puffs" that he made for us.

Anyway, if you use this app, eat a defecit, and keep exercising you'll see success. Sustainable (not fast!) results (not amazing!).

And don't say diet ;)

Good luck
  • musicbethany94
    Options
    If you would like to add me as a friend, my diary is open to friends and you can see what I eat. It sounds like you need more flavorful ideas on what to do with food. I also used the http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ to get a better breakdown of my calories/macros. I used the iifym numbers when I met with a nutritionist and it was only slightly off from his recommendations.

I try clicking on your names but it doesn't do anything so I'm not sure how to add lol.
  • musicbethany94
    Options

I try clicking on your names but it doesn't do anything so I'm not sure how to add lol.
    aplcr0331 wrote: »

I think the point is that you are not on a "diet". You need to eliminate that word right now. As people on here often say it has to be a sustainable lifestyle change. You can eat anything you want, as long as you are at a caloric deficit.

You've already mentioned the exercise which is great, now you need to focus on the food/nutrition. Use the MFP app it asks easy quick questions and will give you a goal to eat at a deficit based on how much you want to lose per week.

I'm severly obese so I chose 2 pounds, depending on how much weight you need to lose, that's what your daily calorie limit will be.

You'll get some snark here and there, but you actually seem to respond to general good advice (which puts you way ahead of many that come on here asking about diets). The fact that you are willing to listen is a huge benefit for you.

The simplicity (and science) of counting calories is really appealing. There's no "bad" food you can't have. I ate a very low calorie breakfast and lunch yesterday and had plenty of calories leftover to eat some chips with salsa and sour cream along with my 14 year old sons "taco puffs" that he made for us.

Anyway, if you use this app, eat a defecit, and keep exercising you'll see success. Sustainable (not fast!) results (not amazing!).

And don't say diet ;)

Good luck
    aplcr0331 wrote: »

And don't say diet ;)

Good luck

Thank you so much, yeah lol definitely some negativity here. Your right though, I guess what I need to do is cruise through the recipes section instead hehe. Thanks!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    If you're eating a good variety of foods you like at a deficit, that's really all the "diet" you need.

The idea of being ON a diet is inherently flawed unless you learn something from it to apply to your life once you've reached your goal weight. The easiest way to do that is to keep eating what you're currently eating, just less of it. If you're eating in a special way and then go back to your old ways, the weight will come back on.

If you learn new habits with the foods you currently eat, however, you can apply those habits to your life after the weight is gone. You'll improve your chances of keeping the weight off. Shouldn't that really be your ultimate goal?
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Eat what you always eat ... but in smaller amounts.

The. Perfect. Diet.

Oh - weigh and measure All The Things so you're sure it really is, y'know, smaller amounts.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Sorry OP, work is getting in the way of my chatting. LOL

I see you're 20 yrs old and want to lose 50lbs. How tall are you and how much do you weigh? I like to use this online calculator -- it's proven to be pretty accurate for me. http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

The good thing about the Mediterranean diet book link I posted above is that it contains a 7 day meal plan, since you seem to want some concrete ideas about how and what you should eat, but at the same time it's not a fad diet. It consists of "real" food that people have been eating for generations, not just protein shakes and supplements like so many set plans out there.

I can understand wanting some specific guidelines to get you started. The reason you're seeing so much push back here is because so many people get on super restrictive "diet plans" and then they burn out and fail. MFP is designed to teach you about making your own plan with foods that you like. The idea is that you should be able to figure out a plan that works for you for the rest of your life.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Options
    CATCAT77 wrote: »
    try some weight loss tea and watch what you eat http://www.cafenopal.com/shop/?id=1158

no
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    CATCAT77 wrote: »
    try some weight loss tea and watch what you eat http://www.cafenopal.com/shop/?id=1158

No!
  • musicbethany94
    Options
    Why no lol
  • musicbethany94
    Options
    Sorry OP, work is getting in the way of my chatting. LOL

I see you're 20 yrs old and want to lose 50lbs. How tall are you and how much do you weigh? I like to use this online calculator -- it's proven to be pretty accurate for me. http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

The good thing about the Mediterranean diet book link I posted above is that it contains a 7 day meal plan, since you seem to want some concrete ideas about how and what you should eat, but at the same time it's not a fad diet. It consists of "real" food that people have been eating for generations, not just protein shakes and supplements like so many set plans out there.

I can understand wanting some specific guidelines to get you started. The reason you're seeing so much push back here is because so many people get on super restrictive "diet plans" and then they burn out and fail. MFP is designed to teach you about making your own plan with foods that you like. The idea is that you should be able to figure out a plan that works for you for the rest of your life.

I'm 5'6 weigh 252
  • allie_00p
    allie_00p Posts: 280 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If you're looking for a good calorie goal, here are a couple calculators to get you started with calorie and macronutrient goals if that's the way you want to go.
    http://www.eattoperform.com/eat-to-perform-calculator/
    http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

I follow several people that do IIFYM (if it fits your macros) and post full days of eating on YouTube to get meal ideas when things get stale. Or checking out the food diaries of your MFP friends with similar goals

:):cookie:

ETA: Hey I'm 5'6", too! Feel free to add me if you like
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Options
    According to the scooby calculator scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/, your daily calories to maintain your weight is around 2350. That's assuming you have a desk job and get no exercise. To lose about 1lb/week it's about 1880. That number will become lower as you lose weight, so check back as your stats change. Whatever set plan you decide on (like the Mediterranean one I posted above), make sure you weigh and log the calories to make sure you're getting enough. You may be tempted to eat a lot less to speed your weight loss, but in the long run it's better to go slow and steady.
  • smjpk03lk
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    Eating less than you burn is what works, no matter what you chose to eat.

To answer your question, I am vegan, (I guess that's an eating plan, more of a lifestyle choice, really) but I didn't begin losing weight until I started counting calories.

silly question, just to clarify my stupid mind!

so if:
    My daily allowance - 1340
    my exercise - 583
    ideally I need to be eating less than 583 to loose weight... or up my exercise to allow me to eat more?

thick I know but im V new to this!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    smjpk03lk wrote: »

To answer your question, I am vegan, (I guess that's an eating plan, more of a lifestyle choice, really) but I didn't begin losing weight until I started counting calories.

so if:
    my exercise - 583
    ideally I need to be eating less than 583 to loose weight... or up my exercise to allow me to eat more?

No. 583 is too low. You need to be eating 1340 PLUS what you burn.Not all of it, though, as calories burned tend to be overestimated, but enough to get you to 1200 net.
  • smjpk03lk
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

so if:
    my exercise - 583

No. 583 is too low. You need to be eating 1340 PLUS what you burn.Not all of it, though, as calories burned tend to be overestimated, but enough to get you to 1200 net.

this was just an example, for some reason I am struggling to figure it out!

so I eat my 1340 + what I have been allocated exercising (but not all as its over estimated) is this what they call calorie deficit?
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

so if:
    my exercise - 583

this was just an example, for some reason I am struggling to figure it out!

so I eat my 1340 + what I have been allocated exercising (but not all as its over estimated) is this what they call calorie deficit?

The deficit refers to eating less than you burn. If you eat, say, 2000 cals and burn 2200 during the course of the day (by exercising and just going to work and doing regular things), you're at a 200 cal deficit.