White Rice Vs Brown Rice

Options

Replies

• mmbnramosanthony
    Options
    Am a Filipino, and what we, being the citizens of Philippines, eat everyday is a pair of food that has at least one cup of white rice each meal. My only opinion here is that rice, or any kind of grain foods here, is high on Carbs but somehow Brown rice is commercially being sold here, as there's a price difference from the white ones. There's only one thing that i remember when eating a brown rice, they say it is more refined and healthier. Yet i just care less as I hardly see the difference on my Diary, especially on the Macros.. LoL... As long as you do not exceed your carbs nutritional goal, you do not have to worry on both kinds of rice...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,510 Member
    Options
    Been eating white rice for almost all my life. As has been mentioned, the differences between the 2 are minute, so eat what tastes better to you.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't most the hate against white rice stem from the "hate all 'white' carbs" people?

Very silly.
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't most the hate against white rice stem from the "hate all 'white' carbs" people?

Very silly.

Yes. But they try and solidify their argument by saying brown has a lot more fiber and is healthier for us because it has more vitamins and minerals.
    That's not much of an argument. A thousand other foods have a much better nutritional profile than brown rice -- they shouldn't be eating brown rice at all if that's the concern.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Very silly.

Yes. But they try and solidify their argument by saying brown has a lot more fiber and is healthier for us because it has more vitamins and minerals.
    That's not much of an argument. A thousand other foods have a much better nutritional profile than brown rice -- they shouldn't be eating brown rice at all if that's the concern.

I think I'm more amused at the complete lack of understanding for how fat plays more of a role in BM's than fiber. It's like this "oh I'm behind on my daily...- eat more fiber" crisis- and then they wind up really backed up- go eat some five guys you nit wit.
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Very silly.

I think I'm more amused at the complete lack of understanding for how fat plays more of a role in BM's than fiber. It's like this "oh I'm behind on my daily...- eat more fiber" crisis- and then they wind up really backed up- go eat some five guys you nit wit.
    I hear you, but remember - its really easy for a person to be misinformed when we live in a society where half of all American's believe in ghosts and only 40% of Americans accept evolutionary science -- and evolution acceptance is even worse when identified by party. And then, you have an industry which packages and sells the same fad-diet formula of health misinformation year after year after year after year.

It's a tough battle your fighting here @JoRocka, but you do it well.
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options

Very silly.

I hear you, but remember - its really easy for a person to be misinformed when we live in a society where half of all American's believe in ghosts and only 40% of Americans accept evolutionary science -- and evolution acceptance is even worse when identified by party. And then, you have an industry which packages and sells the same fad-diet formula of health misinformation year after year after year after year.

lol! well nakedraygun, the millennials will make up 75% of the workforce by 2025 and all of those problems with American society will be changing...

I doubt mellennials will identify nearly as much with these crazy dinosaur parties that are truly identical. Anddd in our need for immediate gratification we have immediate access to information - accepting evolution is a no brainier - that will certainly be changing.

..but I do believe there is potential for our vast universe to house alien life... maybe not intelligent but def alien :disagree:

• mom2aeg03
    mom2aeg03 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am Cuban and was born and raised on white rice. Since I am trying to get healthier (and lose a lot of weight), I tried brown rice. YUCK!
    The person that said to get a rice cooker was correct...that is the ONLY way to get delicious, fluffy rice. The secret is to add an extra cup of water and some salt. You can also throw in a couple of garlic cloves. Great. Now I am craving rice!
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Very silly.

lol! well nakedraygun, the millennials will make up 75% of the workforce by 2025 and all of those problems with American society will be changing...

I doubt mellennials will identify nearly as much with these crazy dinosaur parties that are truly identical. Anddd in our need for immediate gratification we have immediate access to information - accepting evolution is a no brainier - that will certainly be changing.

..but I do believe there is potential for our vast universe to house alien life... maybe not intelligent but def alien :disagree:
    That be would be awesome if millennials not only become more accepting of science, but also became more skeptical of other claims, but I don't think anyone should be doing a victory dance yet. Take the United Kingdom for example, where "compilation of some sociological studies indicates that roughly 30-40% of the British population does not have a belief in a god, but only 8% self identify as convinced atheist" yet according to this poll "more than half of those taking part (52 per cent) said they believed in the supernatural, a marked increase on the two previous comparable studies, in 2009 and 2005, which both found a level of around 40 per cent" believe in the paranormal.

Or China. Overwhelming non-theist, yet the belief in woo and hokum of "traditional medicine" continues unabated, even though it threatens endangered wildlife like rhinos, swordfish etc because of their supposed magical body parts.

I don't know, I wish I was as optimistic as you were.
  • MrTolerable
    Options

Very silly.

That be would be awesome if millennials not only become more accepting of science, but also became more skeptical of other claims, but I don't think anyone should be doing a victory dance yet. Take the United Kingdom for example, where "compilation of some sociological studies indicates that roughly 30-40% of the British population does not have a belief in a god, but only 8% self identify as convinced atheist" yet according to this poll "more than half of those taking part (52 per cent) said they believed in the supernatural, a marked increase on the two previous comparable studies, in 2009 and 2005, which both found a level of around 40 per cent" believe in the paranormal.

Or China. Overwhelming non-theist, yet the belief in woo and hokum of "traditional medicine" continues unabated, even though it threatens endangered wildlife like rhinos, swordfish etc because of their supposed magical body parts.

That is shocking, it still though is very unpopular to come out saying you are an atheist.. for example at my company some executives have prayer stuff in their office or have you go to church for networking etc. - and my point is that the younger guys like me are largely atheist or at least agnostic however we certainty can not be vocal about it, nor argue or disagree.
    One nice thing about being an atheist is you don't have to proselytize to get people to believe what you believe, if it makes them happy and feel a sense of artificial worth - I just smile and go along with it.

I was taking a big deal client out to eat last Friday who asks me to pray before the meal in front of him and a few of his employees and despite knowing it was foolish I certainly went through the motions - I think atheism and reason is on the rise, at least gaining traction - all my former acquaintances from church largely aware of how nonsensical it all is and that Catholics are just as cult-like as the Muslims - however at this point it is not a social norm to be vocal about atheistic beliefs unless you are a celebrity .

We will see, but I am certainly a long-term optimistic. Especially since science continues to show a universe bigger and bigger, with potential multi-verses, parallel universes, the size and scope - it is eventually going to click for people.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

Very silly.

That is shocking, it still though is very unpopular to come out saying you are an atheist.. for example at my company some executives have prayer stuff in their office or have you go to church for networking etc. - and my point is that the younger guys like me are largely atheist or at least agnostic however we certainty can not be vocal about it, nor argue or disagree.
    One nice thing about being an atheist is you don't have to proselytize to get people to believe what you believe, if it makes them happy and feel a sense of artificial worth - I just smile and go along with it.

I was taking a big deal client out to eat last Friday who asks me to pray before the meal in front of him and a few of his employees and despite knowing it was foolish I certainly went through the motions - I think atheism and reason is on the rise, at least gaining traction - all my former acquaintances from church largely aware of how nonsensical it all is and that Catholics are just as cult-like as the Muslims - however at this point it is not a social norm to be vocal about atheistic beliefs unless you are a celebrity .

We will see, but I am certainly a long-term optimistic. Especially since science continues to show a universe bigger and bigger, with potential multi-verses, parallel universes, the size and scope - it is eventually going to click for people.

Oh jeez. You should probably move this conversation to a PM.
  • MrTolerable
    Options

Very silly.

Oh jeez. You should probably move this conversation to a PM.

Hey the bigger congregation always calls the smaller one a 'cult' - they are all baseless cults.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,510 Member
    Options
    Quick reminder: if the thread ends up being one of politics and religion, it's gonna get closed down.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • MrTolerable
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Quick reminder: if the thread ends up being one of politics and religion, it's gonna get closed down.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    it will stay on point - tasty rice vs fiber rich rice
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
  • JoRocka
    Options

Very silly.

LOL we try.

I watched John Steward's break down of the Freedom Summit speeches that happened in Iowa- I'm flabbergasted that people still follow that drivel.
    Just.
    I CANNOT.

CANNOT EVEN.
    The words hard to come up with to describe the f*cking nonsense that people still beleive in these days.
    Options

Very silly.

LOL we try.

I watched John Steward's break down of the Freedom Summit speeches that happened in Iowa- I'm flabbergasted that people still follow that drivel.
    Just.
    I CANNOT.

CANNOT EVEN.
    The words hard to come up with to describe the f*cking nonsense that people still beleive in these days.
    Yeah! Like brown rice is better. Pshaw.
  • tamonique22
    tamonique22 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I read this post the other day. Hope it helps you out.

http://www.vegkitchen.com/tips/10-reasons-why-brown-rice-is-the-healthy-choice/
  • JoRocka
    Options

Very silly.

LOL we try.

Just.
    I CANNOT.

CANNOT EVEN.
    Yeah! Like brown rice is better. Pshaw.

I know- what are these people thinking.
    I read this post the other day. Hope it helps you out.

http://www.vegkitchen.com/tips/10-reasons-why-brown-rice-is-the-healthy-choice/
    dear poster.. please read the rest of this thread- because most of the health benefits are negligible compared to white rice.

secondly I don't believe anyone who toutes a "health" list and lists" makes a good baby food" as point as credible. Not everyone has babies- or cares- it's a completely asinine thing to say in a list like that.