Sweet Potato vs 'Normal' Potato

Options

Replies

• Lazz5k
    Lazz5k Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I say they're both veggies, and they're both delicious - so eat up :) I know sweet potatoes are better for you, and I think this was a great question to ask.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Yams are where it's it !!! Mmmmm

< Bubba Gumps > voice on
    Baked yams - fried yams - yam chips - Yam balls - yam pie - yams every which way
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Eh, potatoes plus a pie crust isn't doing it for me. The potato cake thing looks intriguing.

However, potatoes are an instrumental piece of the shepherd's pie.

(I've made it with sweet potatoes, but better with potatoes, IMO.)
  • candacefausset
    candacefausset Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    They are both great! But different flavors lend to different things. Additionally, their nutrients are different. Calories are similar per weight but they both contain good things in them. I can eat either personally.

I think sweet potatoes offer a bit more versatility in that they can be a side item or a dessert. Or a combination of the two. We had roasted honey and cinnamon sweet potatoes a week ago and while they weren't soaked in honey, there was a subtle hint of sweetness that made them quite enjoyable.
  • Eire228
    Eire228 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else here weird like me and sometimes craves a baked potato just for the skin?

Yes!!!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    The reason sweet potatoes are preferred over white is usually the glycemic load. White potatoes will usually cause a sharper spike in blood glucose than sweet.
    Nope, sweet potatoes have more overall calories because they have more carbs and sugar, with slightly more fibre.... either are fine.

Amount of sugar is not always a good indication of glycemic load. White potatoes have a higher GL.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    The reason sweet potatoes are preferred over white is usually the glycemic load. White potatoes will usually cause a sharper spike in blood glucose than sweet.
    Nope, sweet potatoes have more overall calories because they have more carbs and sugar, with slightly more fibre.... either are fine.

Amount of sugar is not always a good indication of glycemic load. White potatoes have a higher GL.
    How is that possible considering sweet potatoes have more calories and carbs..... that's the way the GL works.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Eh, potatoes plus a pie crust isn't doing it for me. The potato cake thing looks intriguing.

However, potatoes are an instrumental piece of the shepherd's pie.

(I've made it with sweet potatoes, but better with potatoes, IMO.)

If you're a vegetarian, lentil shepherd's pie is better with mashed sweet potatoes. Or a mix of the two. At least I think it is. I've made it both ways, but prefer the sweet potatoes.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    jnv7594 wrote: »
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    I love them both, but you can only make pie with the sweet potato. <3

You can make pie from anything. :D

http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/dessert/pie/white-potato-pie.html

6wmjylqu6mwq.jpg

That's... cake... in a pie pan. It's a LIE!!!! It's potato cake!!!!!

Um, you got that wrong...
    the_cake_is_a_lie_515.jpg
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Camo_xxx wrote: »

< Bubba Gumps > voice on
    Baked yams - fried yams - yam chips - Yam balls - yam pie - yams every which way

Yams are not exactly Sweet Potatoes, and it is a mistake to confound the two.

• jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I love russet potatoes, but the only way I can eat sweet potatoes is if they are in the form of fries with lots of ketchup! Yum.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

How is that possible considering sweet potatoes have more calories and carbs..... that's the way the GL works.

I think fiber comes into the equation too, but depending on how they're prepared, sweet potatoes have a lower GL than, say, Russets. If you bake sweets, though, the GI is higher. But... considering the fact that most people don't just sit there and eat either potato by itself, it's really a non-issue.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

I think fiber comes into the equation too, but depending on how they're prepared, sweet potatoes have a lower GL than, say, Russets. If you bake sweets, though, the GI is higher.

Of course you should bake them since that's how you get the natural sugars to caramelize. Yum. Love them baked tossed with a little bit of olive oil, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    They're both good. Although I only like sweet potatoes when they're made to be more savory (very good with curry powder!). I can't do the traditional way with marshmallows, syrup, etc..

Me, too. My usual way to eat them was with a lot of salt and a little butter, paired with pulled pork or similar.

There was a suggestion to top with chiles and a poached egg in the Recipes forum recently, so I tried it. New favorite. Roasted sweet potato, hot chiles (or cayenne pepper), plenty of salt, poached egg. More nutritious, too, bonus!

The original suggestion had Greek yogurt, too, but I'm not a fan, so I skipped it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

All GL charts I find, show white potatoes as about 26 GL, and sweet potatoes range from 11-20. Where do you find a chart that shows them similar?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

I think fiber comes into the equation too, but depending on how they're prepared, sweet potatoes have a lower GL than, say, Russets. If you bake sweets, though, the GI is higher.

Of course you should bake them since that's how you get the natural sugars to caramelize. Yum. Love them baked tossed with a little bit of olive oil, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper.

White or sweet potatoes will carmelize if pan sauteed, grilled, roasted, etc.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

All GL charts I find, show white potatoes as about 26 GL, and sweet potatoes range from 11-20. Where do you find a chart that shows them similar?
    Potatoes come in more than 1 variety and can and do range from 8 on the GL to 33. Here's a pretty good site for this kind of information.

http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I prefer sweet potatoes, but eat them both. Sweet potatoes more often.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Camo_xxx wrote: »

< Bubba Gumps > voice on

Yams are not exactly Sweet Potatoes, and it is a mistake to confound the two.

"Yams" sold in the U.S. Are in fact a sweet potato and not actually yams. They are AKA soft sweet potato.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Potatoes come in more than 1 variety and can and do range from 8 on the GL to 33. Here's a pretty good site for this kind of information. [url="hthttp://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htmtp://"[/url]

The link didn't work. There may be white potatoes that have a lower GL than sweet, but most charts show the opposite, especially charts that use averages. And I still say this is the reason sweet potatoes are often considered preferable. If you read the articles from whatever agency is prefering the sweet potato, they will usually mention the blood glucose spikes.