I need a cheeseburger

Options
It's 9:30 AM in Pittsburgh, PA. It's about 12 degrees today, the perfect opportunity to make a "comfort food" excuse. I'm sitting in my cubicle obsessing about cheeseburgers. I brought my lunch today and I'm not hungry. The only thing keeping me away from Five Guys is the prospect of having to walk 15 minutes in the cold. There's really no point to this post at all, I just figured I'd share the struggles of a weak moment. Stay warm, everyone! And if you know of a good place in downtown Pittsburgh to get a bison burger, let me know for future reference.

Replies

• klgils
    klgils Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Ah, comfort food. I am in south Florida where it is 51 degrees. Cold by our standards. What about making a cheeseburger without the bun and a nice salad for dinner? Have the condiments, measured of course, the pickles etc. You know, all the good stuff without the soggy bun. Hope you have a good day!
  • tbfincher
    Options
    Then eat a cheeseburger. Just remove something else from your daily caloric intake to fit it in. Just because you are on a diet doesn't mean you can't still eat food that you enjoy.
  • smithjl2
    smithjl2 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    klgils wrote: »
    Ah, comfort food. I am in south Florida where it is 51 degrees. Cold by our standards. What about making a cheeseburger without the bun and a nice salad for dinner? Have the condiments, measured of course, the pickles etc. You know, all the good stuff without the soggy bun. Hope you have a good day!
    Yes! I was thinking about this - if I can just hold off til dinner, I can plan it out properly without feeling guilty. I had a major cheat day on Monday, and Sunday is the Superbowl, so I really need to try and be good the next few days.

I understand that I don't have to deprive myself, however over the years I've taken that as an entitlement to food and a reason to make excuses for eating terribly. It has backfired every time. I've never been strict when working on weight loss, and because of that I've never been able to change my behaviors.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    You can fit a cheeseburger in your calories. Ok, you're saying you have to be strict when you lose weight.. but then what? Once you're at your goal weight, you'll only be able to eat a bit more than what you're eating to lose now (assuming you have a reasonable deficit to lose one pound a week).

I mean, I can buy 94% beef, some buns, and cheese, and make a burger for 400 calories. I don't see what's wrong with that at all.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    If I was in downtown Pitt I would be dreaming of hitting the Strip to get some Primanti's!
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    A cheeseburger sounds good...really good. There is a 5 guys right across from my work...But I'm running errands on lunch and will have to simply heat up my chicken chili I brought in today.
  • Always_Smiling_D
    Always_Smiling_D Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    OH hecks... I would walk the 15 mins in the cold to have a delicious juicy burger from 5 Guys...
  • pdank311
    pdank311 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    smithjl2 wrote: »
    It's 9:30 AM in Pittsburgh, PA. It's about 12 degrees today, the perfect opportunity to make a "comfort food" excuse. I'm sitting in my cubicle obsessing about cheeseburgers. I brought my lunch today and I'm not hungry. The only thing keeping me away from Five Guys is the prospect of having to walk 15 minutes in the cold. There's really no point to this post at all, I just figured I'd share the struggles of a weak moment. Stay warm, everyone! And if you know of a good place in downtown Pittsburgh to get a bison burger, let me know for future reference.

cough, cough Fatheads, cough, cough

• Brige2269
    Brige2269 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Mmmm, 5 guys. I seldom get to go there. I can only go alone, and 99% of the time I have my daughter with me who is allergic to nuts. Great excuse to stay away! LOL
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    A cheeseburger sounds good...really good. There is a 5 guys right across from my work...But I'm running errands on lunch and will have to simply heat up my chicken chili I brought in today.
    If it helps, chili sounds delicious, too!
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    I had a cheeseburger last night for supper. It's a rare occurrence but my light lunch made up for it. Weight continues to go down.

Now having lived way up North-above the arctic circle- it's not really cold where you are-you just aren't dressing for it!
  • smithjl2
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If I was in downtown Pitt I would be dreaming of hitting the Strip to get some Primanti's!

That's tempting too :-D
  • smithjl2
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    You can fit a cheeseburger in your calories. Ok, you're saying you have to be strict when you lose weight.. but then what? Once you're at your goal weight, you'll only be able to eat a bit more than what you're eating to lose now (assuming you have a reasonable deficit to lose one pound a week).

I mean, I can buy 94% beef, some buns, and cheese, and make a burger for 400 calories. I don't see what's wrong with that at all.
    I have nothing against a nice lean burger - I'm trying to avoid chowing down on a 1200 calorie one in the heat of a craving :-)

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

I have nothing against a nice lean burger - I'm trying to avoid chowing down on a 1200 calorie one in the heat of a craving :-)
    One of five guy's little cheese burgers is only 550 calories. That would be a lot easier to work into your day, but I've not had one, so I don't know how filling it would be. You could try bringing in veggies or a salad to help fill you up and have one (granted, that won't help you at this second...).
  • smithjl2
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

One of five guy's little cheese burgers is only 550 calories. That would be a lot easier to work into your day, but I've not had one, so I don't know how filling it would be. You could try bringing in veggies or a salad to help fill you up and have one (granted, that won't help you at this second...).
    That's good to know!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

That's good to know!

Google is your friend. If I want something I know is outrageous, I'll search the nutrition info to see if there's something similar that is lower in calorie. Or if it's a ton of food, I plan on just eating a portion of it. Just depends, but I do like to plan ahead if I can and then go in prepared.

ETA: In this case, I'd bypass the cheese and jump on the little bacon burger for 10 extra calories. Personal preference...
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Walking in the cold means you will probably have a pretty brisk pace (pun intended) so you will burn extra calories getting to 5 Guys and back, and then as others have said, their Little Burgers are only around 500 cals. If you can do without the fries (which I could never do - that's the best part of 5 Guys!) then it should be pretty easy to work into your day...
  • IrishGirlVA
    Options
    OMG - Five Guys!!
    :'(

Me love. Me want. Me miss.

The little burgers just don't cut it for me. I have great intentions of going in there to order one but then wind up ordering something different. I think the smell of the burgers cooking puts me in a trance and takes away my willpower. So I have no choice, honestly, than to stay away.

• SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options

Wow lots of folks really want you to eat that burger
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Sorry - my last post was with my phone and it got cut off. I also wrote something like this:

Good for you for coming here instead, since it sounds like you don't think the burger is a good idea right now. After all, your not hungry and you did have something else planned. I'll bet if you go ahead with the lunch you brought, you'll feel satisfied and feel really good about it. So much of what I'm learning right now is when the temptations and cravings are worth budgeting in, and when it is just a craving that I can learn to deal with.

I'm also having a few well budgeted, lower calorie days before Superbowl - fun!!