Food prices that piss you off

Options

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Cant wait for the Summer, when tomatoes are $0.30 a kilo (2 pounds).
  • jenfitnessmama
    jenfitnessmama Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Ground beef here used to be $3.99 a pound but in the last 3 months it's gone up to $5.47! Used to be able to make lots of chili and spaghetti sauce but now those are like a treat any more. I'm also surprised that our grocery store also often charges $3.00 for a head of cauliflower as well as a head of broccoli. Geesh!
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    i have to watch my grocery bill, but grew up in a house where everything would be skimped on in order to buy good food. We ate massive amounts of produce, and fish twice a week (i still ended up fat - although the lack of junky food at home kept me better in check until I moved out). I think i've picked up the habit now of prioritizing food in my budget too. Nope, don't have a tv or cable subscription, nor newspaper/any magazine subscriptions, and a bunch of other stuff that's eats up money thoughtlessly. I don't miss those things. If there's a frugal gene, I have it. Not enjoying shopping makes life easier. I've started to think about food prices are price per unit of nutrition. Junk food is cheap - but you don't get anything for your money. I hate a bad deal! If you buy junk and then have to buy vitamins, also expensive - you could have bought the real food with the vitamins that are more usable to your body upfront.
  • csillers13
    csillers13 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    HerkMeOff wrote: »
    Milk.

And new york strip steak....omg...I'm so hungry
  • mandahon3
    Options
    Milk.

Milk is almost $4 a gallon, and I live in Wisconsin. I can't imagine what people are paying other places....

• liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    mandahon3 wrote: »
    Milk.

Milk is almost $4 a gallon, and I live in Wisconsin. I can't imagine what people are paying other places....

Where are you buying milk? I get skim for $2.79 a gallon at Kwik Trip. It's $2.38 if you buy the bags instead of the jugs. You're less than 30 minutes from me, so prices shouldn't be that different!

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    lecanto1 wrote: »
    Paid $3.38 for a small head of cauliflower this week at Sam's club, and I thought that was high. After reading this, I guess not. Going to look into frozen cauliflower prices, though, cause I am the only one who eats it. It went a little brown before I finished it, & I hate it when food goes bad. Hate wasting food.

If cauliflower gets a little brown, but isn't slimy or moldy, you can just trim the brown part off and the rest is perfectly fine to eat.
  • lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Avocados and cherries. Love them but so damn expensive!
  • Icarus2014
    Options
    For me gluten free foods.........E.g A small bag of gluten free porride oats for £2.50 when i can get a huge bag of smart price oats for 50p (it says it may contain gluten, but ive eaten them with no effects)...outrageous

Also since when has cheese cost as much as steak.. its just manky milk gone hard and milk is dirt cheap. when i was a kid cheese was dirt cheap, my mum called it poor mans meat

• thatgirlkellib
    thatgirlkellib Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Milk, Is 5 dollars a gallon here. I have a baby and a man that loves cereal and milk..at least 2-3 gallons at home and 1 for the bbysitters house weekly.

as for produce we eat a lot of veggies and fruit- I have a local produce stand and my ladies down there are very reasonable. I can get a several types and lbs of veggies and fruit for $20. they also have beans and rice and anything latino I may desire-love that place
    Meat- we get from the butcher and buy in bulk so its a fair price .
  • nogrows
    nogrows Posts: 56 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Almost everything at the grocery store - $5 lb for brussel sprouts, $4 head for cauliflower, $4 for a pack of greens, $2 ea for red pepper, $2-$5 lb for mushrooms. $30 lb for fresh fish, $20 lb for antibiotic free meat.

This is why we garden, raise chickens, fish and hunt.

Wow this is so expensive! In comparison here in the Netherlands/Holland:
    Cauliflower: $2-$2,50
    Red pepper:$0,70-0,90
    Mushrooms: $1
    Fresh fish: Salmon $30/kg (=2,2 lb)
    Brussel sprouts: 1,10/lb
    I hate the prices of pine nuts $60/kg
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Artichokes. They're my absolute most favorite food on earth... and they're almost $3 for one. BOO.
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Fresh berries. I only buy them when they go on sale, because $4-5 for a pack of strawberries or blueberries is insane to me, especially how quickly I go through them (within a day or two). Luckily I often see them on sale ($1.88-$2.50) in the flyer of at least one store most weeks, and my local grocery store price matches.

Limes, though I understand the recent cost impact as my boyfriend's coworker imports limes and explained it to me a few months back over beer at Hooter's, oddly enough.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    ashleycde wrote: »
    Fresh berries. I only buy them when they go on sale, because $4-5 for a pack of strawberries or blueberries is insane to me, especially how quickly I go through them (within a day or two). Luckily I often see them on sale ($1.88-$2.50) in the flyer of at least one store most weeks, and my local grocery store price matches.

Berries are insanely high here too. Sometimes as much as $5 for 1/2 pint. Do you know how small a 1/2 pint carton is?! Even when they are in season you're lucky to find them for $2.99 for a pint.

I only eat frozen when I can't go pick them myself.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    When you go to one of those dirty hipster farmer's markets that are springing up all over, and some jack wagon is asking $22.95 per pound for lamb.

Can tell you everything about how it was raised, and how happy it was, but has no clue what breed it was or its age at slaughter.
  • tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    5$ canadian for romane lettuce
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    sorry, I forgot to mention, $22.95 per pound for ground lamb.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised to see cauliflower is a pattern. A small head of cauliflower costs no more than a dollar here, even less.
  • _FATNSASSY
    _FATNSASSY Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Milk (Skim ofcourse)... now way more than a gallon of gas!
  • ValentineNicole
    ValentineNicole Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Beef is absurd. I can find decent prices on chicken, but seafood here is getting crazy too. $4.99 is now the sale price for Tilapia filets - with full price being up at $9.99-14.99. Pork is expensive unless you get crappy, fatty cuts. Ground pork is still affordable at our local Asian market. Forget it if you're wanting to know what cut you're getting though. Yikes.

I still buy grassfed beef on occasion. I actually buy every time I can get $5-6/pound, otherwise forget it. I've had one steak in the past year, LOL, when it used to be a staple.

Heck, even rice seems to be pricier lately!!!