Food prices that piss you off

Options

Replies

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Bacon
    Honeycrisp apples

Honey Crisp were $5.99 a pound went I went to the market last night, and they were small & crappy looking.
    You're getting the last of last year's crop. That's why they're so expensive. I'm surprised you even have any - all the stores around here sold out of them long ago.
    The satisfaction I feel when they ring them through as Royal Gala - saving me a good $10 :blushing:

Gluten free food OMGERD but hell it keeps me alive. 7 bucks for a loaf of bread anyone?

LOL, mine's almost $9.00, but I use it as a treat and go through 1 loaf a month. Irene's Brown Rice Cheese & Onion Bread, mmmmmm. That's what happens when we buy specialty items from tiny producers. I could get a GF loaf for 4.50 but ewww, not tasty or worth the cost.
    UGH THIS! Seriously. Thank goodness the bread I buy is locally made and only $4.29 a loaf. But anything else is straight up insane.

Also:
    - Chicken breast
    - Fresh fish
    - Avocados
    - Quest bars
    - Alcohol
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Looking at all your posts, I guess that most of you guys are in the USA?
    the thought of a $7 cauliflower freaks me out! Why the hell are they so expensive over there - do you import these things? In england you can get a huge cauliflower for the equivalent of $1.50 and we export most of them from France!
    I always thought that food was cheaper in the US than it is here (at least it was when I was there five years ago) .
    Just to piss you all off even further, I'll list the stuff that you mention and its equivalent UK price:
    Here goes:

1. Cauliflower - $1.50
    2. Fresh fish - white type cod, haddock etc - $15 per kilo
    3.Farmed fresh salmon - $20 for a whole fish - yep - a WHOLE one when its on offer.
    4.Sweet honeydew applies - $4 per kilo
    5.Asparagus spears - in season $2 per bunch, out of season from Chile $2.50 per bunch
    6.Strawberries - $2 per BIG box
    7. Whole farm pasteurized milk $1 per 2 pints
    8.Corncobs (ears) $0.45 each
    9.Steak- good British or Scottish Rib eye $6 per large steak 8-10oz
    10.Cube steak - varies from $4 to $6 per large pack

Perhaps its that the British dont tend to be as heavy on meat eating, but out seasonal and local fish such as sardine, mackerel, pollock and plaice are really cheap here. You can feed four people for less then $8 with salad and baked potatoes.

On the other side of it, your Jack Daniels can be bought by the quart over in the US and it costs $40 per BOTTLE here!

Swings and roundabouts!!
  • kamaperry
    kamaperry Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    I just say thank God for the 99 cents store here, they carry produce, but quality meat and fish, is ghastly and I couldn't afford to feed a family at those prices! I'm single and live alone, so when I can I do buy the better sutff, just alot less.
  • kamaperry
    kamaperry Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Bacon!

worth every cent.

Some things are worth spending the money on honestly.

Bacon- steak- worth it.

real oreo's also worth it- the store brand just NEVER taste the same.
    I'll pass on the oreos, but I love bacon and steak.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Thought of more, with the help of posts on here.
    Avocadoes and tomatoes. Organic cucumbers (cucumber plants produce zillions of fruit, why on earth is ONE organic cucumber $3???!!!!).
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Bread. If I want anything other than the cheap stuff, it will cost at least $3 per loaf, and that's before I start considering the calorie cost. Bakery bread is sometimes good but doesn't last long enough. I guess it could be worse, though, since I don't go through bread too too fast

If you dont eat a lot of bread, do have a try at making your own..........it tastes 100% better and has no additives or keeping chemicals. Its a good workout for your upper arms too!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Looking at all your posts, I guess that most of you guys are in the USA?
    the thought of a $7 cauliflower freaks me out! Why the hell are they so expensive over there - do you import these things? In england you can get a huge cauliflower for the equivalent of $1.50 and we export most of them from France!
    I always thought that food was cheaper in the US than it is here (at least it was when I was there five years ago) .
    Just to piss you all off even further, I'll list the stuff that you mention and its equivalent UK price:
    Here goes:

1. Cauliflower - $1.50
    2. Fresh fish - white type cod, haddock etc - $15 per kilo
    3.Farmed fresh salmon - $20 for a whole fish - yep - a WHOLE one when its on offer.
    4.Sweet honeydew applies - $4 per kilo
    5.Asparagus spears - in season $2 per bunch, out of season from Chile $2.50 per bunch
    6.Strawberries - $2 per BIG box
    7. Whole farm pasteurized milk $1 per 2 pints
    8.Corncobs (ears) $0.45 each
    9.Steak- good British or Scottish Rib eye $6 per large steak 8-10oz
    10.Cube steak - varies from $4 to $6 per large pack

Perhaps its that the British dont tend to be as heavy on meat eating, but out seasonal and local fish such as sardine, mackerel, pollock and plaice are really cheap here. You can feed four people for less then $8 with salad and baked potatoes.

On the other side of it, your Jack Daniels can be bought by the quart over in the US and it costs $40 per BOTTLE here!

Swings and roundabouts!!

I live in the US (Ohio) and have never seen cauliflower anywhere close to $7 per head. $1.50 -$2 is about right. Most of the prices you are mentioning are pretty on par with what I would normally pay at the grocery. Prices are somewhat dependent on where you live, region and state. I have lived in Pittsburgh, Atlanta and Cincinnati and all of the food prices are pretty comparable between the three cities.
  • commanderval
    commanderval Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Avocado...I wanted to buy one to put in my burger and they were 6 bucks...EACH!!! ONE AVOCADO = 6 DOLLARS! And it wasn't even ripe...geez!

Oh, I live in Canada...in Quebec. This might just be the answer,
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I moved from Michigan to Tennessee a couple of years ago and I'm still not used to having to pay tax on food here. No tax on food in Michigan. So if you buy something that's not prepared or processed, tax is 5.25% (used to be 5.75%). If it's boxed, packaged or prepared, you pay full sales tax of 7.25% plus whatever the local rate is. I'm in Knoxville so it's 9.25%. That sucks when you spend $100 on groceries but have to shell out an extra $5-9.00 for tax. Bad enough that food is expensive :sad:
  • bellevie86
    bellevie86 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Asparagus.

This. And my fave kind of organic apples.

Babybel cheese, 9$ for a pack of 8 baby cheese balls :(
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I find going to the butchers cheaper than the supermarket. I can buy just two slices of ham or one chop or something. The quality is better and for things like bacon, sandwich meats and sausages, they work out cheaper by weight. Mind you, bacon ain't expensive in the UK anywhere really.

Save perhaps the farmers market :grumble: organic artichoke foccacia anyone? £4.50 for a loaf that serves 2? or £5 for a small punnet of mushrooms? :laugh:

From what I've read here, farmers markets are cheaper than some shops in the US. The ones round here just charges you four times the price just for the privilege of a bit of soil to assuage your middle class guilt at chasing the butchers, cheesemonger and greengrocers out of town by frequenting the huge supermarket and demanding strawberries in January.

Greek yogurt is expensive though, isn't it?
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    Asparagus. and Salmon
  • sseqwnp
    sseqwnp Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    gosh darned frickin Cod. As high as $18/lb .. and I'm in Massachusetts - it's not like it needs to be flown in ..
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    ScientificExplorerGirl Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    In Canada, I can never understand why they sell a 2L carton of milk for just about the same price as the 4L bags. Makes no sense to me at all...
  • sseqwnp
    sseqwnp Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    In Canada, I can never understand why they sell a 2L carton of milk for just about the same price as the 4L bags. Makes no sense to me at all...

Heh. Milk Bags.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I live in the UK...

They don't tax Pasties....

They tax my protein powder...

Do I really need to say more?

Pasties? The tassel things that strippers wear on their tata's?!

I honestly thought the same thing. Will have to google, "pasties, food'.

We have these (they have meat in them)

pasties-31.jpg

and these...pretty!

pasties.jpg
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    what pisses me off more than a high price- is that last week asparagus was 1.99 a bunch.

this week it's 3.99 a bunch.

WHAT.
    THE.
    FRACK.

Stawberries same deal- last week 1.99.
    This week 4+

Bush league.

I get in the off season it's more expensive- but I don't the jump from week to week- that makes me cranky.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    what pisses me off more than a high price- is that last week asparagus was 1.99 a bunch.

this week it's 3.99 a bunch.

WHAT.
    THE.
    FRACK.

Stawberries same deal- last week 1.99.
    This week 4+

Bush league.

I get in the off season it's more expensive- but I don't the jump from week to week- that makes me cranky.
    Asparagus season is over.

Strawberries - they were cheap for a little while there. But supply is running lo due to California drought.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    BEEF.

$18.99 for a filet (for example).

Want to know how much a farmer gets??

If we are lucky, $0.89-$1.15/pound on average. Right now prices are up, so we got $1.35 last time we took cattle to market.

$18.99 is almost always for meat from Mexico.

Frack that. Support your local farmers. Because farmers don't make *kitten*.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I live in the UK...

They don't tax Pasties....

They tax my protein powder...

Do I really need to say more?

Pasties? The tassel things that strippers wear on their tata's?!

I honestly thought the same thing. Will have to google, "pasties, food'.

We have these (they have meat in them)

pasties-31.jpg

and these...pretty!

pasties.jpg

The food version reminds me of pierogies except those look baked and not fried.

Now I know what I'm having for dinner tonight 'everything baked potato pierogies'! So delicious and so cheap (flour, water, potatoes, cheese butter and some crumbled bacon)

ETA: I'm glad my 1000th post had two types of pasties in it.