Food prices that piss you off

Options

Replies

• stephross88
    stephross88 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Ok...if any of you have an ALDI store near you, go. Go now! There is no reason you should be paying "$7 for cauliflower" or $7 for a little over a pound of ground beef. Ever.
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people would be surprised how much of their own food they could grow and raise--even an urban setting.

True however if you live in an urban neighborhood you have to check with your town and see what their rules and regulations are on raising things like chickens. You can't just go buy them, throw up a coop and be done with it. There's a process you have to go through.

It's inflation that's causing the food prices to rise. Sure they say that inflation is down but that's because they aren't including food in the numbers.
    If you want cheaper or "free" food--hunt, fish, grow a garden, scavenge for mushrooms, raise chickens, raise goats. And buy LOCAL.

While I agree with this it's still going to cost a bit of time and money to raise animals and plant a garden. We're doing a vegetable garden this year and we have to get manure, we just bought alfalfa pellets, garden tone, we need to bring in some good soil for it. Then it needs to be rota-tilled and that's before we even start planting. Oh, and yeah we started seedlings however we're novice growers and we're not sure they're going to actually grow and produce so that means going to a local farm and buying established plants.

And with raising animals there's costs associated with that. Sure you can raise goats and chickens but you need a chicken coop which is a chunk of change. Where are the goats going to stay? They need shelter. And both need food and care. It takes time to do it all properly.
  • sillyduckmoose
    sillyduckmoose Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm perplexed by the people that are saying things that (at least in my limited experience and travels) are purchased per item and not by weight. Like bell peppers...where I live, it's by pepper. I suppose if you calculate it, it's like that...but it's not advertised that way by any means. Bell peppers right now are .50/pepper. Same with cucumbers. At the grocery store I work at, they are being advertised as 2 for a dollar. Is this a normal practice everywhere else? I do live in the boonies of Kentucky soooo.
  • redtreediary
    redtreediary Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Limes. I needed limes this weekend and they are 2 for a $1.00 at the grocery store and for 2 at the Farmers Market it would be $1.50. Only a few years back I got 10 limes for a $1.00 at both locations.

Limes have been crazy this year. It's annoying.
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Just curious what foods you guys love, that are healthy, that you can't buy all the time because the price is not worth it/worth it but still a bit expensive to eat regularly.

For me it's gotta be cherry tomatoes (or really tomatoes in general), and frozen fish.

Definitely tomatoes. I bought ONE tomato the other week and it cost me $0.93.
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    It really amazed me how overwhelmed I became with answers to this thread, there are so many things. Frankly its really hard to be healthy when all you can afford is ramen noodles lol.
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Really good steak. WAAAAY to expensive.

One time last summer, I bought chicken and steak the same day. The steak was cheaper then the chicken.
  • nesbit11
    nesbit11 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Oriental pears from asda, £1:50 for just 3!! Quite expensive to me lol
  • SharmaineP
    SharmaineP Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    blueberries...
    i love blueberries
    ...sadly they're expensive at Fresh & Easy
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I'm perplexed by the people that are saying things that (at least in my limited experience and travels) are purchased per item and not by weight. Like bell peppers...where I live, it's by pepper. I suppose if you calculate it, it's like that...but it's not advertised that way by any means. Bell peppers right now are .50/pepper. Same with cucumbers. At the grocery store I work at, they are being advertised as 2 for a dollar. Is this a normal practice everywhere else? I do live in the boonies of Kentucky soooo.

Some of our food is per item (cucumbers, naval oranges, grapefruit, lemon, limes, kiwi, ear of corn), but some is by weight (peppers, apples, pears, bananas, broccoli). I think it might vary.

I can't wait until zucchini prices go down. Right now they are $1.99/lb, but it *should* go down to $1.29/lb in a few week.

And why is celery so expensive? I was inclined to pick up some the other day, thinking it would be a cool and refreshing snack with some peanut butter, but I can't justify the prices.

Sometimes tomatoes get outrageous and we go through a lot.

Right now our stores are running massive sales on all berries, and probably will be through the end of the summer because there is a lot of competition with local growers and farmer's markets.
  • angiewf
    angiewf Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Lamb chops are pretty expensive, I usually buy when they're on offer and freeze. I'm lucky to live near a street market where most fruit and veg are £1 a bowl.
  • _mlee_
    _mlee_ Posts: 90
    Options
    Bacon
    Honeycrisp apples

^EXACTLY this!!
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Fresh Salmon. I personally think it is sad that healthy food is more expensive than junk food.
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Like so many others beef and berries are bad and so are bell peppers. Sam's club has the best prices here, well compared to the grocery store anyway. Today I got a package of raspberries for 4.98 and a package of blueberries for 5.98 at Sam's. We've started eating mostly pork and chicken since I'm too stingy to pay so much for beef.
  • RobynSmithIBECHS
    RobynSmithIBECHS Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast, any sort of veggies. Really just food in general. Also, I love fish but it is so expensive that I cannot afford it.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    All the fruits and vegetables with the exception of cucumbers which I can usually purchase for .50 a piece and green beans which can be around $1.29 a pound. I'm pretty sure 1/3 of my grocery bill is fruits and vegetables and it really pisses me off. I can buy a lunchable for my daughter that will hold her over until dinner with little nutrtional value for a dollar but when I send her off with some berries thats $3.00 on freaking berries! I did find blackberries and blueberries 2/$5 this week.... which has been a common price at our store lately. But this week the ocntainers were half the size. Thanks dbags.

I really almost just said "f this" and put it all back

I do have a garden and I was able to plant recently so hopefully all my goodies will grow well and at least I can get some fresh veggies all summer for free!
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Hemp seed hearts. $13 for 12 ounces? BLAH! I have found them very helpful as part of a filling, high-protein breakfast so I get them regularly. . . but the price, eek!

Also, Greek yogurt. I rely on it but lately have not had as much grocery money as I'd like so have been going without, and feeling a lot hungrier.
  • TheUnwritten
    TheUnwritten Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Avocados, honeycrisp apples, beef, nuts, tomatoes, salmon, almond butter.
  • mikebate946
    Options
    It has to be really good mushrooms, Chanterelles, Porcini, ****ake etc. These beauties pan fried with garlic, lemon, parsley and fresh chives then scooped onto a piece of freshly toasted sourdough and topped with a poached duck egg. Breakfast heaven. Those beauties do not come cheap however.
  • pinkshiningstar
    pinkshiningstar Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Laughing Cow cheese. Must comment.
    I quit eating it when I tried to broil/melt some on a slice of bread.
    It would not melt ! Scary.

I melt mine pretty regularly into spaghetti squash...