Food prices that piss you off

Options

Replies

• ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Salmon!! well all manner of seafood really but Salmon is definitely my #1. after that any kind of dairy free "dairy" product; ice-cream, yogurt, milk.. its all over priced. it's like being punished twice for being lactose intolerant.
    I'm finding lactose free milk is finally coming down in price. Sometimes it's even cheaper than regular milk when it's on sale.
  • snappyapples
    Options
    To everyone complaining about the prices of limes, there's a very good reason why they've gone up so much in the last few weeks: THERE IS A MASSIVE LIME SHORTAGE!!!! There was too much rain in Mexico, a tree disease, and now the cartel's getting involved based on the higher prices. I'm dead serious, they're calling it the lime panic.

My biggest irk with grocery prices is fish. I LOVE fish, but I can rarely afford to eat it :(
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I don't know, really. I shop at Marks and Spencers, Sainsbury's, Tesco, Morrisons, Co op, Nisa, Premier, and Aldi. I spend on average about £25 on food shopping a week. My protein powder is £15 plus I eat out, at least once a week. Mac Donald's are expensive.
  • spara0038
    spara0038 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I don't know, really. I shop at Marks and Spencers, Sainsbury's, Tesco, Morrisons, Co op, Nisa, Premier, and Aldi. I spend on average about £25 on food shopping a week. My protein powder is £15 plus I eat out, at least once a week. Mac Donald's are expensive.

I'm a dual national so I've spent a considerable amount of time in the US and UK.

It's sooo true that McD's in the UK is expensive, but I'm pretty sure it's because the British government taxes the crap out of it. In the US, I can get a burger and fries from the value menu for around $2.50, or GBP 1.49 pounds. McDonalds is super cheap in the US. Same goes for other American/British fast food crossovers- Pizza hut, KFC, etc. I was surprised at how expensive UK Pizza Hut is. In the American Pizza Huts, if you get a pizza for more than $12 (GBP 7.13), you're getting ripped off.
  • AuntieCeeCee
    AuntieCeeCee Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Green seedless grapes!

Ridiculously priced, hard to get good quality (not mushy, not sour, etc), and lately I can't even get any at the grocery stores..when I really really want some
  • Libi_KK
    Libi_KK Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Bacon
    Honeycrisp apples

Honey Crisp were $5.99 a pound went I went to the market last night, and they were small & crappy looking.

Along with several things others have listed, my most missed is avocado ($2.50 each) and limes ($2).

Meat is ridiculously expensive. I found boneless, skinless chicken breasts for $1.98 a pound and I snapped up 10# before they realized it should have been $4.98.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Laughing Cow cheese. Must comment.
    I quit eating it when I tried to broil/melt some on a slice of bread.
    It would not melt ! Scary.

You know what does melt? The wax coating on the Babybel cheese. Especially if you leave it on your dashboard. I know. Duh.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I live in the UK...

They don't tax Pasties....

They tax my protein powder...

Do I really need to say more?

Pasties? The tassel things that strippers wear on their tata's?!
  • SiempreBella
    SiempreBella Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    This is not cool the prices for veggies and fruits are really expensive where I am at. I look forward to moving to a state where growing produce is easier.

Small bag of cherries 8 bucks vs. Cherry ice cream 4 bucks
    1 avocado 2 bucks vs. fake avocado dip 2 bucks
    Romain lettuce 4 bucks vs. Doritos 2.50
  • MissKalhan
    MissKalhan Posts: 2,282 Member
    Options
    So there's this super cute organic mom and pop grocery store across the street from me that sells all grass fed local, gluten free, nitrate free stuff..... I can easily go in there and spend $40 on an armful of meat because it's soo good. Bison and everything dammit! I need to stay away from that place, lol
  • maisid
    maisid Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I wish Denmark had US prices, I sometimes feel like it is not possible having a healthy and balanced lifestyle when living in Denmark.

Here are some of the prices at the moment:

1 lbs of chicken (breast): starting at $ 9
    2 lbs of speltflour: $ 4.50
    1 lbs of greek yoghurt: $ 4.50
    1 liter of 0.5 % milk: $ 1.50
    a jar of peanut butter: starting at $ 4.50
    Ketchup (small size): starting at $ 4
    1/2 lbs of almonds: $ 5.50 -7

In general food is very expensive, when I lived in the US or also Germany I spent $ 25 -30 a week on food, now I spend $100 a week. Most of the basic food is twice the price of what they are in Germany, some even 3 to 4 times as much!

I often travel to Germany and go with an empty suitcase so I can bring back food that will not spoil right away, as for instance coffee, nuts, dried fruits etc., this helps me save a few bucks! :)
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Bacon
    Honeycrisp apples

Honey Crisp were $5.99 a pound went I went to the market last night, and they were small & crappy looking.
    You're getting the last of last year's crop. That's why they're so expensive. I'm surprised you even have any - all the stores around here sold out of them long ago.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Gluten free food OMGERD but hell it keeps me alive. 7 bucks for a loaf of bread anyone?

LOL, mine's almost $9.00, but I use it as a treat and go through 1 loaf a month. Irene's Brown Rice Cheese & Onion Bread, mmmmmm. That's what happens when we buy specialty items from tiny producers. I could get a GF loaf for 4.50 but ewww, not tasty or worth the cost.
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I love red seedless grapes, but I'll only buy them when they're on sale. Otherwise, they end up costing $8 or $12 for a bag. I'm tempted to stand in the produce department and pick them all off the stem, then just buy the grapes and toss the stem!
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I live in the UK...

They don't tax Pasties....

They tax my protein powder...

Do I really need to say more?

Pasties? The tassel things that strippers wear on their tata's?!

I honestly thought the same thing. Will have to google, "pasties, food'.
  • yellowlemoned
    yellowlemoned Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Steak
    Shrimp
    Cracklin Oat Bran cereal (It's like 5-6 bucks for the small box and my boyfriend will eat that in two days lol. )
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Bacon!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Bacon!

worth every cent.

Some things are worth spending the money on honestly.

Bacon- steak- worth it.

real oreo's also worth it- the store brand just NEVER taste the same.
  • StephIntrepid
    StephIntrepid Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt and fish
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I love red seedless grapes, but I'll only buy them when they're on sale. Otherwise, they end up costing $8 or $12 for a bag. I'm tempted to stand in the produce department and pick them all off the stem, then just buy the grapes and toss the stem!

I saw someone do this on extreme cheapskates.

Then I thought it was a brilliant idea. I haven't done it yet but I am tempted