Food prices that piss you off

Options

Replies

• ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Grapefruits....WTF!? I love ruby reds and they are so expensive. I will eat the white ones but dang it I want ruby reds!

Also, There is no reason on this green earth that celery should be more than one dollar. GTFOOH!!!

Green Grocers are the way to go. I shop at Valentino's on Fresh Pond Road in Ridgewood, Queens, NY
  • marieann82
    marieann82 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Honestly, we grow or raise our food so i dont notice most of it, but milk is outrageous. We're about to buy goats for our dairy (i just paid $5.58 for coffee creamer. I dont think so.)

I noticed a 2lb cornish hen was nearly $11 the other day, i just put one of my laying hens in the freezer due to an injury i couldnt correct. She dressed out to nearly 4lbs and gave me nearly 8 dozen eggs in her lifetime as well. I think pound for pound she ended up being $0.04/lb. It disturbs me how much it costs knowing how little it costs for me to raise them.

THIS!

I think a lot of people would be surprised how much of their own food they could grow and raise--even an urban setting.

Prices are not some arbitrary thing. It's supply and demand. Somebody said food should be free...I hope they were joking or at least don't mind working to grow their own food (although it still won't be "free"). There are costs to growing, packaging, and shipping food. Companies have employees they have to pay, insurance, overhead expenses...

If you want cheaper or "free" food--hunt, fish, grow a garden, scavenge for mushrooms, raise chickens, raise goats. And buy LOCAL. Help a friend out that has a garden for some fresh veggies. Go fishing with your kids for a delicious dinner. And if Kale Chips are too expensive, buy a bunch of kales and stick it in the oven yourself.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt.
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Meat and milk product prices are kind of ridiculous. My parents tend to buy fruit in bulk when they're on sale, so that hasn't been too bad for us. Anything that pays by weight is usually ends up really pricey :grumble:
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    fruit especially berries
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    And almonds...how could I forget almonds?
  • Diesel_Girl
    Diesel_Girl Posts: 39
    Options
    Gluten free food OMGERD but hell it keeps me alive. 7 bucks for a loaf of bread anyone?

I'm with you! I miss the days when PB&J's were cheap!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone about berries. I usually resort to bags of frozen berries since I love them - and of course strawberries are cheap in season, at least.

At certain times of year, Aldi and a few other stores have some good deals, a nice sized container of blueberries, blackberries, or raspberries for $1-2. And invariably on the same day I pay $1.29 for blackberries I'll see the SAME size container of blackberries for $4.99 at a nicer supermarket...what!?
  • simbersea
    simbersea Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Bell Peppers! They are $3.99 a pound! Seriously! And I think they are purposely growing them long enough that the seeds inside grow, so they weight even more. Grrrrrr......
  • sarainiowa
    sarainiowa Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    My opinion is anything that's good for us..banana's, berries, chicken, lettuce, etc, etc. Seems like the more fat and unhealthy, the cheaper it is. Ok, I just went shopping so this is a good time to take my hands off the keyboard or this could turn into a lengthy rant...
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    Fat-free feta cheese. I'm addicted but it's too expensive to buy every time I go.
  • BigDougie1211
    BigDougie1211 Posts: 3,530 Member
    Options
    I dunno if it's the same everywhere, but here in Ireland the price of everything pisses me off at the minute.
    In the last year I've seen the price of my weekly grocery shop increase by roughly 30%.
    In 12 months that's madness.
    I haven't started shopping in a different place or drastically changed what I buy - the same stuff has just gone through the roof.
  • spikedholly
    spikedholly Posts: 38
    Options
    Salad from pretty much ANY restaurant. Costs just as much as a full entree, but costs less to make.
  • timberowl
    timberowl Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Fresh raspberries and blackberries. $5 for the world's tiniest container that I could easily eat in a sitting.

This! I'm actually eating a container of raspberries, blackberries, strawberries and blueberries right now that I bought at Winn Dixie on CLEARANCE for $2.82 because today was the "sell by" date.

Normally it's like $7. Last time I saw that price I almost dropped the container like a hot brick.
  • sillyduckmoose
    sillyduckmoose Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Cherries are delicious but too damn expensive.

I've seen them get as high as $10 per pound before, back when I worked at a small grocery store chain. And people would come in and buy giant overflowing bags.

I took a bag of cherries to the counter recently and the cashier asked me if I knew how much they were because people get sticker shock really bad over them

Lol, as a cashier I can contest to this. I do the same thing when people buy them even when I'm at the self check attendant station. Sometimes I can see the look of "WTF. F- these cherries" come across peoples faces.

I had a guy buy 35 dollars worth of cherries. He was in 40s/50s and he noticed the expression on my face when I was weighing and ringing up the cherries and he said "I promised myself a couple of years ago that if I had the means to do it and I wanted something, I was going to get it." He wanted some damn cherries...the man got himself some damn cherries.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Wild caught shrimp. When we go to South Carolina in the summer, I can get delicious, fresh shrimp directly off of the boat for $6-7 per pound. I usually buy a bunch and bring it home and freeze it. When I have to buy it here in Ohio, I pay double the price and more and more, the shrimp are just in bits and pieces, definitely not the count suggested on the package and they don't taste anywhere near as good. Infuriates me!
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. They charge around $5.00 for those little flat packs. I won't buy them and it is sad. Pretty much any fruit is overpriced in my opinion, but those seem to be the worst offenders. Lemons and limes are steep also. Anything that is good for you is over priced. Check out the candy aisle, bet all that crap is cheap or on sale. Same with chips and cookies. I had to buy eggs from the store the other day and they cost over $2.00 a dozen.
  • marinaherbert84
    Options
    Milk at $5/gallon
    Beef is also ridiculous, and I live in the Heartland!
    Out of season fruit
    Fresh greens
  • sk8trchk
    sk8trchk Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Cherries - $9.99/lb...

lol, just saw the most recent post.
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Asparagus. Shrimp. Salmon.