Food prices that piss you off

Options

Replies

• SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Almost any kind of beef is expensive anymore. We tend to buy roasts when they go on sale, but otherwise, we just don't eat much of it and instead choose some less expensive alternatives.

I do love good steak, prawns, and giant bacon covered scallops though, and I will happily pay for it at times.
  • kabochakitty
    kabochakitty Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Kale chips. $8 for a bag of two servings? Seriously? It's a friggin dehydrated leaf. Give me a break.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    the price of vegan ice cream is annoying

actually

the price of all food is annoying it should be free
  • bmannen1
    bmannen1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    $7 for a watermelon
    $.87/lbs for bananas
    $6.50/lbs ground beef
    $3.50-4 for a loaf of bread
    $10 bag of apples
    $4ish for a dozen eggs
    $12 for 3-4 chicken breasts
    $5.75 for a jug of milk

on and on its all a rip off cant wait for summer at least it is a tiny bit cheaper
  • wissabear
    wissabear Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Fresh Fruit in general. Also in the stores close to me it never looks appealing to boot!
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Gluten free food OMGERD but hell it keeps me alive. 7 bucks for a loaf of bread anyone?
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Cherries are delicious but too damn expensive.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I try to shop at Costco to keep my food costs down. Still, there's a few things that just seem really cost prohibitive to eat all the time:

Salmon - I love salmon.
    Watermelon - the price will come down over the summer
    Kale chips
    Steak
    Shrimp <--- why are these little bottom feeders so expensive?
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I like to treat myself to steak tips sometimes, but $10+ a lb is ridiculous! So when I do treat myself, I have the package separated by the clerk into multiple serving sizes, and freeze it. Definitely a treat.

Healthy food wise, hummus. My favorite brand is Sabra, but it can be anywhere from $3-$5 for an 8oz container! Do they not know that one does not simply make 8oz of hummus last for an entire week?
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    It's all expensive:

$4.99 for a bag of spinach
    $1.79/lb of apples
    $1.49/lb of pears
    $1.29/lb of oranges
    $0.88/lb of bananas
    $4.99 for a 2lb clamshell of strawberries
    $3.49 for a pineapple
    $6.99/lb of extra lean ground beef
    $32.00 for a tray of roughly 8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    $4.69 for 4L of milk
    $2.99-$4 for eggs (depending if you buy 12s or 18s and what size)
    $20 for 750g, skin on steelhead trout filet
    $3.99 for a pound of butter
    $4.99 for 500 mL of greek yogurt
    on average $6.99 per box of cereal
  • missiontofitness
    Options

I've seen them get as high as $10 per pound before, back when I worked at a small grocery store chain. And people would come in and buy giant overflowing bags.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Milk
    Chicken (seriously when did chicken become so expensive?)
    Spinach
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options

I've seen them get as high as $10 per pound before, back when I worked at a small grocery store chain. And people would come in and buy giant overflowing bags.

I took a bag of cherries to the counter recently and the cashier asked me if I knew how much they were because people get sticker shock really bad over them
  • dottyb1tchmouse
    dottyb1tchmouse Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Organic berries, especially blueberries (or inorganic... even those are like $4 for a 4 ounce box). Salmon also.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I don't find most healthy food I want to be too expensive except grass-fed beef.

What pisses me off is that the crappy stuff is so cheap. Like buy one, get one free candy bars, 2 for $5 tubs of ice cream, mystery sausages $1 per box...
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Bacon-I used to use it for a bit of flavour in lots of dishes. It used to go on sale regularily for $3.99 a pound or less, but now it's hard to find at that price and the package is only 375gms! Like we don't notice it's more than 20% smaller.
  • missiontofitness
    Options

I took a bag of cherries to the counter recently and the cashier asked me if I knew how much they were because people get sticker shock really bad over them

Yepppp. It amazed me too, because we had big signs with the price.
    People could practically pay off their children's college tuition for four years with some of the bags they brought up. Grapes too, when they get out of season!
  • shawnakelsey
    shawnakelsey Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I love rainbow Swiss chard it is rare to find it under 2.99
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    Bacon-I used to use it for a bit of flavour in lots of dishes. It used to go on sale regularily for $3.99 a pound or less, but now it's hard to find at that price and the package is only 375gms! Like we don't notice it's more than 20% smaller.

Do you have a Stop and Shop near you? Their store brand is $2.99 every day for a pound!
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Protein powder, Quest bars, berries of any kind, watermelon when it's not in season, gelato, goat cheese, bell peppers, greek yogurt, GRAPES!