Food prices that piss you off

Options

Replies

• Orion782
    Orion782 Posts: 391
    Options
    The price of non-steroid injected chicken is pretty crazy.

Sushi is WAY too expensive, especially when you get it at the supermarket.

Milk.

Any beer with actual flavor.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    Just curious what foods you guys love, that are healthy, that you can't buy all the time because the price is not worth it/worth it but still a bit expensive to eat regularly.

For me it's gotta be cherry tomatoes (or really tomatoes in general), and frozen fish.

healthy food is always worth it to me, what's more important your healthy or saving a few bucks that I can save by trimming elsewhere?

I think you are missing the point here - for example, I said raspberries because they are expensive in Australia - that doesn't mean I don't think eating healthy is important or that I dont spend my money on other healthy things.
    Other fruits in season are not expensive and I can and do frequently buy bananas and mandarines, which I'm sure are just as healthy as raspberries.

But I would like to buy raspberries more often but the price stops me doing so - that's all the question was asking.
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    All food! I can easily spend £60 on food a week (I don't know what that is in $$$. About $80 I reckon) and when I get it home it doesn't even look like I've bought anything! All fresh produce (meat, fish, fruit, veg, etc) is so damn expensive these days. In the UK it is anyway!
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    meat and nuts seem to be really high IMO
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Grilled chicken breasts... $7 for 4 breasts is sad.
    Berries when not in season (arguably, it's nice to be able to buy them out of season)
    Shrimp :(
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Asparagus!!!!
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    oops
  • RINat612
    RINat612 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I buy Jack Link's beef sticks for my lunches, but they're five bucks for six of them. :( Also, I don't really have to explain Quest bars.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PMHLZK/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I buy these as I eat Jack Link's for lunch too.
  • DataSeven
    DataSeven Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I hate that the baked chips or snacks cost more than the regular ones, even though you get less in the bag. WHY? Is it because they know people who are watching their intake will pay more? It doesn't seem fair that they take advantage of people who are trying to eat well and bypassing the crap.
  • sillyduckmoose
    sillyduckmoose Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    All the organic produce here is outrageous. When you're on a budget to begin with, there's just no way. I also can't buy a variety of meats because of the price. I usually end up with ground beef and chicken because like others I can find the chicken breast for 1.99/lb and the ground beef anywhere from 2.99=3.75/lb. I can't even afford to purchase protein or health bars. I love Kind bars but I can't validate paying over 5 dollars for a box of 4 tiny bars. Grapes are outrageous here. For a bag of grapes it can be 10 dollars. I like grapes but I don't like grapes that much. Bagged leafy greens! I just can't. Not when they go bad within a day of opening. Most of the time at my store they look awful to begin with and they are well within the best by dates.

Sucks being poor!
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Honestly, we grow or raise our food so i dont notice most of it, but milk is outrageous. We're about to buy goats for our dairy (i just paid $5.58 for coffee creamer. I dont think so.)

I noticed a 2lb cornish hen was nearly $11 the other day, i just put one of my laying hens in the freezer due to an injury i couldnt correct. She dressed out to nearly 4lbs and gave me nearly 8 dozen eggs in her lifetime as well. I think pound for pound she ended up being $0.04/lb. It disturbs me how much it costs knowing how little it costs for me to raise them.
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    As for trimming expenses elsewhere-the only place we could trim is to get rid of our truck. I really hope some of you guys are local though-hopefully my garden does well this year and ill be more than happy to work out a goid deal! Budget shouldnt have to mean going hungry or living on ramen.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Also bottled herbs and spices...outrageous! I bought some black pepper a couple of weeks ago, that used to cost 59 CENTS, 20 or so years ago and maybe $1.50-$2.00 a couple of years ago...it was $3.89--and that was the cheapest price, for BLACK PEPPER--nothing fancy--just black pepper. :indifferent:

Buying organic herbs and spices are NOT more expensive than regular ones anymore. Even salt is expensive now...I remember when a big box of salt was 10 cents--those days are OVER:ohwell:
  • amblight
    amblight Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Watermelon. WTF, they are $9 for a REALLY small one (barely the size of a football!)

Makes me miss Texas -.-

Ah! Even when they're in season?That's highway robbery! :noway:

They are *just* coming in to stores now - I don't know where they import from (they can't grow here - too damn cold), but for some reason we never get them before May. They are the complely round sort too.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    A few weeks ago, my local supermarket wanted $7 for a cauliflower. For a freaking CAULIFLOWER!

There's always one make-believe story, isnt there?
  • FoodFitnessTravel
    FoodFitnessTravel Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    i live in Asia right now so ANYTHING imported is crazy, including chocolate bars and milk. i went to the us for the first time in January and i was shocked that veggies and fruits are more expensive than junk food
  • amblight
    amblight Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Ohhh, and another thing, I'm REALLY keen on making Georgian food atm, but it's kind of ironic that the ingredients that they use a lot (walnut, fresh cilantro and other herbs, pomegrante etc.), are waaaay too expensive to create meal of here - A side dish (pkhali) would end me at about $30+ here; A sauce (satsivi) would add up to maybe $20 etc. etc.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    EVERYTHING!!!!!!! :grumble:

Milk the other day went up to $4.30 a gallon!!!!! :explode:

Pretty soon it will be a day's wages for a loaf of bread. JS
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Just paid almost 8 bucks for a net of Babybel cheese and I thought that was outrageous. Maybe I'm just cheap.

Nope, that's nuts. I hate Walmart but they have those nets of Babybel for slightly under $5 (in my area anyway) which I still think is kind of expensive!

Same with Laughing Cow. $4-6 for the wheel depending on where you shop. I'm so glad Aldi has their knockoff for less than $2/wheel even though they often just have 1 flavor. This week we scored though...jalapeno, basil & herb, and regular. yay!

Laughing cow is generally 2.99 for a wheel around here, which is fine by me, I'd rather pay the extra dollar than eat the Aldi's brand stuff, that stuff is so fake :(

Weird...I think the Aldi Babybel-type rounds are horribly fake, so I don't ever get those. My husband liked them until he tried the Babybel Light brand and then he was floored by how much better the quality/taste was. But I really can't discern the slightest difference at ALL between their fake Laughing Cow wedges and the real ones.
  • jwooley13
    jwooley13 Posts: 243
    Options
    Fresh fish and fresh berries kill me. I love them both, but when I buy them they easily take up the majority of my weekly grocery budget :(