Food prices that piss you off

Options

Replies

• rednpnk
    rednpnk Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Ha!! I'd kill for limes that price!! I went to the store yesterday and they were $8 per pound!!!! And that was at the commissary, which I cheaper then the other stores. I'm in Puerto Rico, guess they have a problem getting them here.
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Laughing Cow cheese. Must comment.
    I quit eating it when I tried to broil/melt some on a slice of bread.
    It would not melt ! Scary.
  • tl_dr
    tl_dr Posts: 96
    Options
    Cherries and raspberries are so expensive here, even when they're in season. It makes my pie-baking habit so expensive when the filling alone costs $24. :brokenheart:

I'm seeing a lot of people bringing up beef and limes... I guess I should be thankful that I live where I do. That stuff has always been affordable here. I don't think I've ever paid more than 20 cents for a lime at a grocery store, and I was a little appalled by that price. yeuh texus :drinker: :glasses:
  • Mof3wc
    Mof3wc Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    The prices that really piss me off are:
    $18.99/bag of cup4cup gluten free flour. (Not optional, I have a celiac kiddo)
    Berries - $5/small container on average
    Lunch meat - $3/100g for turkey.
    Whole roasting chickens!! - between $15-$20 per chicken.
    $4.99 for 1 pomegranate
    $8/small bag of grapes.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Pork, beef and dairy vs 4 years ago. Thanks ethanol!

This. And it destroys all my small engine equipment on the farm. We hunt and only eat seasonal veg.

Another this. I actually go out of my way to purchase pure gas for all of our small engine equipment and our cars if we're close to one. There are thousands of stations across the country that still carry it. pure-gas.org has a list of stations across the US and Canada that sell it.
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Whole roasting chickens!! - between $15-$20 per chicken.

Where do you live?

I can get a whole chicken for like $6
  • Beautiful_Pain
    Beautiful_Pain Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Nice non rotten or ugly Sweet potatoes
    Name brand cereal
  • bridgettesweightloss
    Options
    Any seafood is at least 8 bucks a pound, chicken or ground beef is like 4-5 normally which isn't even much better. We wait til meat goes on sale and then buy a bunch and freeze it :P

Then of course any fresh berries. They're like 5-6 dollars a tiny thing of them, so I almost always buy frozen. Cherries are especially insane, like 9 dollars a bag.

And nuts, not the generic salted peanuts but stuff like raw peanuts or almonds or cashews are always insanely expensive.

I recently moved to LA from Ohio, so I've noticed the difference in prices from one area to another...avocados were like 3 dollars a piece and i can get them 2 for a dollar here! :D
  • fitnessf0x
    fitnessf0x Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    raspberries! a tiny pack is around $5 :(
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    smoked salmon - I totally love this and would eat it every day but 6+ dinars for 100g is pushing it.

Blackberries... I live in Bahrain and I just can't *pay* for berries that can be gathered for free in the good ole British countryside. Especially in such tiny quantities whereby you can get about 3x that in less than 20 mins on the common where my parents used to live. And it's painful to pay for other berry varieties that my parents grow in their garden.
  • seismicmuffin
    seismicmuffin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Fresh raspberries, blueberries, blackberries etc. Frozen are just as bad. I always have to shop around and wait until avocados and mangos are 2 for $1. $1.50 for one mango? Crazy.

ETA: ALMONDS. Love chocolate flavored almonds but they are almost $10 a bag. I can go through one in a week. Also, pistachios.
  • arainiday1
    arainiday1 Posts: 1,763 Member
    Options
    artichokes... whole ones

berries, pretty much all of them

milk
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Bacon. Whenever it's on sale anywhere, I bring the flyer to Walmart, get them to price match it and buy pounds and pounds of it. That why chest freezers were invented. For bacon.

Ditto for berries, but we eat them too fast to freeze any.
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I don't know how much Stevia or artificial sweeteners are in the states, but in Canada you're looking at over $9.00. For fake sugar. (don't judge me on the fake stuff, Diabetic, there isn't an option really.)

And berries! Where I grew up, blue and raspberries were wild, so paying anything for them hurts my heart a little.

I get all my meats and veg from farmers and butchers, so it's a lot cheaper.
  • MrMax
    MrMax Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Everything. :/ I love cheese but the price of it has gone up. Honeydew melons (yum) are $4 right now.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Dry-aged grass fed steaks and beef
    Breads and cheeses
    organic milk and nut milks
    Organic cruelty free small farm raised eggs and chicken
    Pomegranate Juice
    in season: Cherries, pomegranates, grapes, apples, pears, and most fruits and veggies I love
    fresh berries...especially organic, but even non-organic--MEGA high priced
    organic and locally grown foods in general
    pistachios and nuts in general
    wild caught fish and pole/troll caught Tuna (from the U.S.A. and not from other countries)

most all of the foods I get from Whole Paycheck (I mean Whole Foods), Health Food Stores and specialty stores--foods I love to eat the most, foods I really consider like "staples".. is expensive as all get out!
    :sick: :devil: :explode: :sad: :grumble: :noway: :mad: :cry: :sick:

The foods from local grocery stores--stuff that is in boxes/cans/bags and the like aren't "that" expensive--but still high as :devil: ...but no where near as outrageously high as the stores Iisted above...but the foods in cans, boxes, freezers, bags, (highly processed foods, loaded with pesticides, chemicals, lots of sugary fatty stuff) etc. are foods I'm not crazy about eating anymore...like I used to when I was younger--my taste buds have changed and the stuff I love is so expensive....it's shameful :frown:
  • Monicapierce
    Monicapierce Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Nuts
  • IdRatherBeReading
    IdRatherBeReading Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I forgot. Bananas are getting WAY expensive, too. They were 75 cents a pound the last time I went to the grocery store. That doesn't sound like a lot, but when they were as low as 40 cents a pound only 2 months ago....

Wow! I just bought some tonight for 55c a lb. It is the most eaten fruit here, so I buy a lot, but I probably would not at that price.
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Avocadoes
    Tomatoes
    Asparagus
    Brocollini
    Decent Red Meat
    Limes
    Greek Yoghurt
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Blueberries! Them things be $$$$ right now!