Food prices that piss you off

Options

Replies

• Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I forgot. Bananas are getting WAY expensive, too. They were 75 cents a pound the last time I went to the grocery store. That doesn't sound like a lot, but when they were as low as 40 cents a pound only 2 months ago....
  • walking_the_labyrinth
    Options
    Fresh raspberries and blackberries. $5 for the world's tiniest container that I could easily eat in a sitting.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Pork, beef and dairy vs 4 years ago. Thanks ethanol!
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Limes. .89 cents each
    Hamburger close to $7 for 1.25 lb.
    Chuck Roast $14 for 2 lbs minus all the fat I had to trim off.
    Deli Roast Beef $10 for 3/4 lb !
    $5 for two portabellas ? Really ?
    And last but not least...bagged salad ! Complete rip off and looks terrible a day or two later.
    But someone out there must not mind...they sure have plenty of choices to choose from.
  • jec285
    jec285 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Also gotta add: deli cheese

Deli cheese was one of the few casualties when I started my diet (I just can't justify 80 calories for one slice) so this isn't a personal concern anymore, but I feel like it's bs that people have to pay $7 a pound for land o lakes deli cheese when they can get pre-packaged cheese (which tastes horrible) for $3.
  • thanson563
    thanson563 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    All of it. And yes, I just got home from grocery shopping.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    the price of frozen shrimp has gone way up recently, even at Aldi (like 20% or 30% higher than a year ago). Makes me very happy my dad has business & family down on the Gulf and brings us boxes of shrimp...when we run out, it's gotten kind of pricey to replace.

Some things I buy cheap at Big Lots but probably wouldn't buy normally...grapefruit Perrier, various flavors of Zone Perfect bars, Hawaiian Host chocolate with coconut, Nutkao spread, occasionally Oregon Chai and various packaged Indian entrees (heat n' serve). When I see any of those things in "regular stores" I have to laugh at the prices...no way would I pay the full, normal prices.
  • jrenee514
    jrenee514 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just paid almost 8 bucks for a net of Babybel cheese and I thought that was outrageous. Maybe I'm just cheap.
  • One_Last_Time
    One_Last_Time Posts: 125
    Options
    Fresh cherries, blueberries, strawberries, grapes. The only fresh fruits I can eat daily are bananas and apples. Veggies arn't to bad. Seafood! I love crab, salmon, shrimp. It's like a once a month treat.
  • gooserocks85
    gooserocks85 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Limes. I needed limes this weekend and they are 2 for a $1.00 at the grocery store and for 2 at the Farmers Market it would be $1.50. Only a few years back I got 10 limes for a $1.00 at both locations.

the majority of limes are grown in mexico - this year heavy rains damaged the blossoms, which lead to a decrease in production. cartels have also been looting groves and transports, which further drives up the scarcity and price.
  • 38laura40
    38laura40 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    :sad: All food!:mad:
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Salmon
    Honeycrisp apples (these will eventually get cheaper as more orchards are planted - Fujis, Braeburns and Galas used to be sky high, too)

The lime prices are up due to a disease or something that hit the crop in Mexico, where most of the limes are shipped from.

But $8.99 a lb for asparagus? $5 for mushrooms??? Where do you guys live? I forget/often don't realized how spoiled I am with fresh produce here in California, and much lower prices. Of course we pay through the nose on taxes in a lot of other areas, so I suppose it evens out. :tongue:

Thankful for my year-round backyard garden and easy access to farmers markets. Even our grocery stores, where prices have gone up over the years, have lower prices than what you guys have mentioned. Gotta love living in the "bread basket to the world" that is the central valley of California.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I hate when my local supermarket advertises red bell peppers for $3.99 a pound like it's something to brag about. Or cauliflower - $4.00 a head? Come on people!
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Raspberries. :(
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

^ Yep. I still shake my head that anyone thought that using potential food sources for fuel was a good alternative.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Just paid almost 8 bucks for a net of Babybel cheese and I thought that was outrageous. Maybe I'm just cheap.

Nope, that's nuts. I hate Walmart but they have those nets of Babybel for slightly under $5 (in my area anyway) which I still think is kind of expensive!

Same with Laughing Cow. $4-6 for the wheel depending on where you shop. I'm so glad Aldi has their knockoff for less than $2/wheel even though they often just have 1 flavor. This week we scored though...jalapeno, basil & herb, and regular. yay!
  • jec285
    jec285 Posts: 145 Member
    Options

Nope, that's nuts. I hate Walmart but they have those nets of Babybel for slightly under $5 (in my area anyway) which I still think is kind of expensive!

Same with Laughing Cow. $4-6 for the wheel depending on where you shop. I'm so glad Aldi has their knockoff for less than $2/wheel even though they often just have 1 flavor. This week we scored though...jalapeno, basil & herb, and regular. yay!

Laughing cow is generally 2.99 for a wheel around here, which is fine by me, I'd rather pay the extra dollar than eat the Aldi's brand stuff, that stuff is so fake :(
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options

This. And it destroys all my small engine equipment on the farm. We hunt and only eat seasonal veg.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Asparagus $8.99 swear :noway: but I can buy a bag of chips for $1.50! Score!! :laugh:

YIKES! And I was going to complain because the local asparagus was 2.99/lb but a bag of tortilla chips here is 2.50 on sale - I think I'd rather live here...
  • tierra85
    tierra85 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    All organics. I still buy them though :love: That and my elixir ingredients... I spent 100 on reishi, chaga, dandy blend and coconut manna today :drinker: