I'm freaked out by how high my calorie goal is!

Options
2»

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    its to do with your current weight and you should be pleased the cals are as high as that, you'll feel satisfied and will lose on that amount. As your weight reduces that number will reduce somewhat, thats why a lot of us like to exercise so we can eat back some exercise calories.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" 240lbs, "Lightly active," and my calories are 2240! I do feel that's a bit high for me, but what I do is prelog my entire day of food and put everything into a bag, then when I get hungry I can reach into the bag and eat anything I want that's inside, because I know it's all accounted for. By the end of the night, I usually end up having items left over that I didn't eat, but if I ever get those late night munchies, I can totally finish what's in my bag.

I think this is a fabulous idea!!!

• Maries_wine_calories
    Options
    I'm 5'5" 240lbs, "Lightly active," and my calories are 2240! I do feel that's a bit high for me, but what I do is prelog my entire day of food and put everything into a bag, then when I get hungry I can reach into the bag and eat anything I want that's inside, because I know it's all accounted for. By the end of the night, I usually end up having items left over that I didn't eat, but if I ever get those late night munchies, I can totally finish what's in my bag.

Really great strategy!! It promotes self-awareness (hunger vs boredom) and I admire your dedication to portion control!!! (*)
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    sloth19891 wrote: »
    I feel like I won't lose with the amount of calories I've been allotted for the day! 1700 calories for a retail worker who doesn't work out, 5'6 and 254 pounds seems like a LOT of calories. :0

I'm 5'2", nearly twice your age and 100 lbs lighter, and 1700 is what I would eat to maintain my weight (and that's before exercise. If I exercise, I eat more)

so, no. 1700 is not a lot of calories.
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    1700 isn't as much as you think! I'm 5'2", MFP put me at 1200 to lose 2 lbs a week, but that was simply too low. Especially since I was working out twice a day for at least an hour each time, at 5 days a week. I injured myself (who didn't see THAT coming?!), I increased my intake to 1400-1500 per day, only do walking and climbing hills a couple times a week and I'm losing faster and more consistently than I did before. Plus I feel a LOT better. So, for perspective, your 1700 is a great number to start with. Keep at it for a few weeks and re-evaluate how you feel and how you're losing. Make adjustments. Don't be afraid of the numbers, and even if something seems counter-intuitive, give it a try. Just don't quit!
  • wendyjane86
    wendyjane86 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    That is not too high for your current weight. I'm about the same weight as you currently and my average daily intake is around 1800-1900. I am losing weight pretty quickly (12 lbs in 5 weeks) although I do walk about 5 miles per day.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6 and 145 lbs and when I want to lose pounds I drop my calories down to 1700 + I eat back all my exercise calories. My maintenance is 2000 to 2200 + exercise calories. Just make sure you accurately log your food.

Enjoy eating all the food and knowing you don't need to starve to lose weight :) It makes this process so much better.
  • Maries_wine_calories
    Options
    It sounds like a lot, but it might not be. Retail can have you on your feet/lifting/moving a lot, and your body still needs to fuel itself even as you're losing weight.

I am also a retail worker- logged over 16K steps at work yesterday with my FitBit! My MFP setting is at sedentary, goal of -.5lb per week and 1550 calories. My steps earned me an additional 800 calories- calculating that I burned 2600 calories for the day (notoriously over estimated however rarely off my more than 15% for the day) so eating back 1/3 to 1/2 of my earned calories has been suggested. At that it would also have me eating up to1950 calories if I chose to and still including a deficit to lose weight.
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    If it helps, I'm 5'1" and I maintained at 115 lbs at 1700 (and I'm not super active). You'll get there!
  • busseybl
    busseybl Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Jealous! Mine is at 1,260 a day as a goal and it's hard to stay under unless I burn at least 500 calories working out.
  • sloth19891
    Options
    Thank you everyone for clearing it up, easing my worries, and responding!!
  • Obeg
    Obeg Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'll gladly take some of your calories! :-)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I feel like I won't lose with the amount of calories I've been allotted for the day! 1700 calories for a retail worker who doesn't work out, 5'6 and 254 pounds seems like a LOT of calories. :0

The only way I know to prove if the number of calories is right for you is to track what you eat to make sure that is what you are actually eating and weight yourself at least once a week on the same time, with the same weight of clothes when you first get up and record it. If after a month if you weigh a pound more or less then you may just be eating at maintenance and will need to adjust your calorie goal.
  • LandyBreigh
    LandyBreigh Posts: 207 Member
    Options

I'm 5'7, have a desk job and started at 250, now down 17.8 pounds. I'm at 1200 calories. You will be suprised how quickly calories add up. Remember to log everything, including fruits and veggies. Those are good calories, but still calories.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    That sounds about right. Remember that if you gained the weight in the first place, it was by eating a lot more than that. So it's really not all that high.

Slow and steady wins the race.