Diet Help. Ideas.

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP, I'm surprised no one has provided you this link yet. Read this. All of it. Follow the links. Read those too.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

You don't need a special "diet" to follow. For weight loss, what matters is that you take in less calories than you expend (Calories In < Calories Out or CICO as it is commonly abbreviated). MFP or some of the other sites linked here can help you determine what your calorie goal should be with an appropriate deficit for your current height/weight/activity level. How you choose to create your deficit, with specific foods and/or exercise - is ultimately up to you. Most of the advice you are getting that says you don't need a "diet" are because those tend to be overly and unnecessarily restrictive and people often have trouble sticking with them, get discouraged, and the yo-yo process continues. Many of the most successful people on MFP (in terms of total weight loss) have done so by continuing to eat all the things they love, just in moderation.

Good luck.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Why no lol

Weight loss tea is usually a laxative, so at best you will lose water weight. So when you drink/eat something it comes right back. And depending on a laxative for weight loss is not a healthy way to think about food/your body. It's quite disordered.
  • airmedic8
    airmedic8 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Remove the word diet from your vocabulary...that would be the best thing you could ever do. Change your LIFESTYLE...
  • oncem0re
    oncem0re Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    My diary is open too - you can actually check other's diaries and see what they eat and maybe something sparks your interest and copy off them. I like everything too but vegetables, I can eat some but very few. So my meals are not so great with alot of veggies incorporated but I have so many varieties because I LOVE to cook. I cook breakfast, lunch and dinner everyday. I tried to do a weekly meal plan and it didn't work out and we wasted so much food. My family can be picky when eating left overs and food that's been sitting in the fridge or freezer for over 3 days.... which i don't blame them, I like everything fresh too if I can help it.

• GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it's been said yet but if you're looking for ideas, check out people's diaries. A lot of members have open diaries and you can make your own plan around their meals. If you want structure, make it yourself! :smile:
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Oh and someone had recommended this site to me before http://www.rippedrecipes.com/meal-planner.html

I haven't played around with it too much but it seems like a pretty fun tool. You tell it how much you want to eat and it gives you recipes to build a day around.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I think the reason why so many people here are against "diets" is because they are rarely sustainable. There are a million ways to create a calorie deficit, and many of those are fad diets and diet plans - and yes, they can result in weight loss, as long as the deficit is there.

But if you want to keep the weight off once you lose it, you have to find a way of eating that you can maintain forever. If you lose weight eating in a way that you enjoy and can continue for years to come, it makes maintenance a lot easier. :)
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    I can give you the first three steps:

1) Do not drink sugary soda and fruit juice.
    2) Keep all junk food (pretzels, chips, cookies, cake, ice cream, donuts, etc.) out of your house. If you want ice cream, go to the ice cream parlor and buy a cone. If you want a donut, buy one at the donut store (don't bring a dozen home).
    3) Go to restaurants less often.

Good luck!

All of this is unnecessary...

• arostganomo
    Options
    The DASH diet is good, I hear. It's designed for people with high blood pressure but it's healthy for everyone! The good thing about it is that, if you want to stay within the sodium guidelines, you can't eat too much prepackaged food. For me personally, the change that made me really conscious about food and cooking was going vegetarian years ago. It really forced me to get creative in the kitchen once I started living on my own, you can't eat bean burgers every day.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »

2) Keep all junk food (pretzels, chips, cookies, cake, ice cream, donuts, etc.) out of your house. If you want ice cream, go to the ice cream parlor and buy a cone. If you want a donut, buy one at the donut store (don't bring a dozen home).

Good luck!

This is the classic MFP poster. Because she can happen to eat a small scoop of cream, or 10 chips, or 8.5 pretzels, or 1.5 Oreos at the end of the day without exceeding her calorie limit, and not gorge out at restaurants, she thinks everyone can do it. Ridiculous.

Most people fail at diets, whether you count calories or not. Why? Because you're hungry. And if you're hungry, the last think you want to eat to lessen the hunger is half a bag of Doritos or half a container of Ben and Jerry's before you go to bed.

It is totally necessary for most people.

Keep the crap out of your house.

If by classic MFP poster you mean, "people who understand that moderation is a sustainable approach to weight loss" then yes, I guess I am a classic MFP poster.

The OP is just getting started. She is young. She needs to look for an approach which she can be successful with in the long term. Calling food "crap" and keeping it out of your house is not something that is "totally necessary for most people". What is necessary for most people, in fact, all people, is to create a caloric deficit. There are many ways to do this. If people struggle with moderation, it may behoove them to limit their access to trigger foods. OP has mentioned nothing about trigger foods or binge behaviors. She simply asked for recommendations about a "diet" and didn't understand how to set an appropriate calorie goal. Therefore, the things you are suggesting are not necessary.

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Good luck!

This is the classic MFP poster. Because she can happen to eat a small scoop of cream, or 10 chips, or 8.5 pretzels, or 1.5 Oreos at the end of the day without exceeding her calorie limit, and not gorge out at restaurants, she thinks everyone can do it. Ridiculous.

Most people fail at diets, whether you count calories or not. Why? Because you're hungry. And if you're hungry, the last think you want to eat to lessen the hunger is half a bag of Doritos or half a container of Ben and Jerry's before you go to bed.

The classic MFP poster empowered me to rethink my relationship with food, work foods that I like into my diet in moderation, and stop feeling like I'm powerless in the face of parties. The classic MFP poster is why I was able to take control of what I'm eating and learn to moderate long-term instead of cutting and then rebounding when I fell "off the wagon." The classic MFP poster is why I lost my 55 pounds.

It's the internet. You'll take the advice you can use and leave the rest. This is the kind of advice that I could use. You're welcome to leave it if it's not for you.

• WinoGelato
    Options

Good luck!

If by classic MFP poster you mean, "people who understand that moderation is a sustainable approach to weight loss" then yes, I guess I am a classic MFP poster.

The OP is just getting started. She is young. She needs to look for an approach which she can be successful with in the long term. Calling food "crap" and keeping it out of your house is not something that is "totally necessary for most people". What is necessary for most people, in fact, all people, is to create a caloric deficit. There are many ways to do this. If people struggle with moderation, it may behoove them to limit their access to trigger foods. OP has mentioned nothing about trigger foods or binge behaviors. She simply asked for recommendations about a "diet" and didn't understand how to set an appropriate calorie goal. Therefore, the things you are suggesting are not necessary.

Pick your diet - Paleo, Vegan, Wheat Belly, Atkins, South Beach, Weight Watchers, Pritikin, Keto, MFP/CICO. Despite their differences, they all have something in common - except one.

Actually these all have the same thing in common. All diets do. In order to lose weight, you have to create a caloric deficit. Pick your diet - Paleo, Vegan... all the others you listed - they all are different mechanisms of the same principle, CICO.
    And which is the one diet that basically ENCOURAGES you to eat crap? That's right, MFP/CICO!

Where did I tell the OP she needed to eat crap? All I said is that it is unnecessary to give up sodas, juice, removing certain foods from her house, and minimizing eating out. That doesn't mean that I don't do some or all of those things. I actually don't drink OJ anymore with breakfast, I decided I'd rather save my calories for somewhere else. I don't eat out as often as I used to either. But those were choices that I made to implement the fundamental principle of CICO. I could have continued to drink OJ for breakfast, and instead given up my evening glass of wine. I could continue to go out to lunch 3 days/week, but given up eating Talenti after dinner. Everyone needs to make choices about how to achieve your goals. My only comment was that your advice was written to imply this is the only way to be successful. All I said was that those restrictions are unnecessary. What is necessary, is to create a calorie deficit.

95% of people who try to lose weight by counting calories fail. Perhaps that rate would be a lot lower if they stopped drinking sugary soda and fruit juice, kept crap out of their kitchen, and ate out infrequently.

Define fail? I think what you are referring to is the ability to keep the weight off in the long term. The reason people struggle with this is because they quit doing what they did in order to be successful in the first place. CICO works. If one continues to count calories, there is no reason to think they will eventually fail.