Homemade Breakfast Sausage Patties

Options
Peg4Jesus7
Peg4Jesus7 Posts: 36 Member
This is our family's absolute favorite! You can use any kind of ground meat, but I usually use Australian boneless leg of lamb (ground with my Kitchen Aid food grinder attachment) and organic ground beef (both from Costco). I make a huge batch and freeze the uncooked patties.

Favorite Sausage Patty

Yield: approx. 10-20 patties

2 pounds ground meat
1 tablespoon coarse salt (or 2 tsp. salt)
1 teaspoon rubbed sage
2/3 teaspoon rubbed summer savory
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground marjoram
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 tsp dried parsley and 1/2 tsp dried thyme (optional)

(Optional olive or coconut oil for lean meats - approx. 1-2 tsp. per lb. of meat)

Mix well, and form into 20 patties. For lean meat, start with a low flame, then finish over medium-high heat to brown, or broil on middle oven rack.

Replies

• witchieboo
    witchieboo Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    The salt in them is a little high. You should try cutting down on your salt
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Peg4Jesus7 wrote: »
    This is our family's absolute favorite! You can use any kind of ground meat, but I usually use Australian boneless leg of lamb (ground with my Kitchen Aid food grinder attachment) and organic ground beef (both from Costco). I make a huge batch and freeze the uncooked patties.

Favorite Sausage Patty

2 pounds ground meat
    1 teaspoon rubbed sage

(Optional olive or coconut oil for lean meats - approx. 1-2 tsp. per lb. of meat)

Mix well, and form into 20 patties. For lean meat, start with a low flame, then finish over medium-high heat to brown, or broil on middle oven rack.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    witchieboo wrote: »

yeah, and that's based on what expertise?

OP: Here's a couple suggestions I might add, personally.

Salt, go for 2% of meat weight, instead of a spoon by spoon measurement. The safe and standard range is 2-4%, I personally prefer the lower end, but that's a taste thing.

I'd mix in some maple syrup, maybe a half ounce, some white vinegar to the tune of 1.5 ounces, and then a light slurry of 2 ounces of water and one 1/2t of cornstarch as a binder.

Put the meat in your kitchen aid and beat with a paddle, add in the flavored liquids, then some of the slurry until the bind seems right.

Otherwise, your recipe looks good. I'd also suggest a llittle added backfat, but that is really dependent on the type of meat you're grinding. Lamb, I'd add backfat. Also, for the people reading this, make sure the meat is kept very cold, as close to 32F as possible. Otherwise, the bind might break.
  • Peg4Jesus7
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Thanks for the input, guys! We do love this recipe as is, but I'm always up for improvement :smile: I probably will skip the maple syrup ~ I just never liked sweet with my savory foods ~ but I like the binder idea, and I do think I will cut down the salt. Especially now that I'm doing a low sugar diet, because my taste buds have changed. Whenever I have sugar in my diet, I don't taste the salt as much, but when I cut out the sugar, foods taste much saltier, as well as much sweeter. Thanks!
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options

Unless her OVERALL salt intake is high, this ^^^ is bad advice. Even then, salt/sodium isn't the enemy.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    On topic though, these sound really good. Especially with the lamb.
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Yummm i love sage sausage. I would use a lot more sage but that's just me. This looks really similar to a sausage that i make. For the meat i like to use roughly 50/50 ground deer and ground pork. You don't have to add in any extra fat that way and i leave out any added salt.
  • beachchic3030
    beachchic3030 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Peg4Jesus7 wrote: »

Favorite Sausage Patty

2 pounds ground meat
    1 teaspoon rubbed sage

Bump
  • Peg4Jesus7
    Options
    I'm having trouble finding summer savory (or any savory); not at my grocery stores or health-food stores (Whole Foods used to carry it but not any more). So I guess I'll have to order it online. Anyone have a favorite website to order herbs that isn't overly pricey? Thanks!
  • blbst36
    blbst36 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    What is Summer Savory?
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

If this is too high for you, you can cut it down. I'm sure the OP is aware of how much salt they are putting into this, and are doing a good job tracking their own sodium intake.
  • Irvert22269
    Options
    :) thanks !
  • Peg4Jesus7
    Options
    Summer savory is a cooking herb, like sage, thyme, marjoram, etc. I'm finding it to be rather pricey online; maybe stores aren't carrying it because of the high price.

I do track my sodium but my blood pressure has always been very good so it's never been a real issue for me. I mainly go by taste, and I use "Real Salt" (the pink kind that has the good minerals in it) so I feel good about the sodium that I do use :)
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a wonderful recipe - thank you so much for sharing! I'm filing it right now. Cheers!
  • Peg4Jesus7
    Options
    I hope you enjoy it as much as we do! :D