Uncommon tips

Options
StacyMMo
StacyMMo Posts: 17 Member
I am sure this has been discussed a ton but I can't find one thread that has a bunch of tips. I just started on Jan 5 and am looking for tips for staying on track in losing weight. But I want tips that are beyond drinking more water and telling yourself that nothing tastes as good as skinny feels. So what is the one thing that has helped you the most? For me, it is cutting my food up before I eat into really small pieces. It makes you feel like you are eating more. Thanks!

Replies

• janiceclark08
    janiceclark08 Posts: 1,341 Member
    Options
    When I start getting too full, I push my plate away and stop eating, instead of finishing even if its alittle bit. Also I put my dirty napkin in it, to make sure I wont take another bite, because I use to always clean my plate.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Probably wearing my fitbit. That motivates me to move more.
  • elleykat
    elleykat Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Cutting out sugar and processed foods/carbs completely. Takes about 3 days to detox off the sugar, but then after that the cravings go ALMOST completely away. Way easier to resist that donut then. ;)
  • lpendleton58
    lpendleton58 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Meal prep for the week and pre-logging to hold myself accountable.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Cutting out sugar and processed foods/carbs completely. Takes about 3 days to detox off the sugar, but then after that the cravings go ALMOST completely away. Way easier to resist that donut then. ;)

umm no. I eat very little processed foods and added sweetener, but I can polish off fruit and snacks made with only fruit nonetheless. Self control is what is needed.
  • kruch1006
    kruch1006 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My biggest piece of advice is to find out what your body actually needs calorie-wise. MFP said I only needed 1750 cals to maintain, but through experimentation and really paying attention to my body, I found that that number was 150 calories under my actual maintenance count! Once you know that number, you can really pay attention to how you feel when cutting out certain amounts.
    Find what works best for YOU and you alone. If skipping breakfast makes your day better, than skip breakfast. If going Gluten-free makes it really easy for you, than go Gluten-free. (Random things that popped into my brain at this particular moment.) But don't do anything just because someone says it's the best thing for you, especially cutting out ridiculous amounts of calories everyday. You definitely should not be starving. For me, the first two weeks I was really hungry, then I learned that the "hunger" I was feeling was actually different emotions, stress, and thirst cleverly disguised. And don't get disappointed if your weight loss is going slower than you want it to, you didn't put on the weight overnight, so you're not going to lose it that fast either.
    And lastly, no, you don't have to exercise...
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Pre-logging. I cook for the week and log it. If I have left over calories for the day, I then eat up to my allotted calories for the day.

In the beginning it was a bit hard and it took me about a month of trial and error.. But now it is just normal for me to do this daily. If I don't log then I am not accountable for what goes into my mouth...
  • lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I know this probably isn't an uncommon tip but just thought I'd throw it out there as I notice a lot of my friends getting told otherwise on their walls:

If you go out to eat, enjoy it. Don't pour over a menu miserably trying to pick the lowest calorie option while thinking you'd reeeaally much prefer that steak. Enjoy every bite, log it and start afresh the next day.

Loads of people seem to say 'choose the lean meats...fill up on veggies...don't add sauces...say no to dessert' which is all very well if you can happily do that. But don't let your diet run your life. Allowing yourself the odd treat can help pick up your motivation a bit and stop you feeling deprived.

At least that's my experience :)

Oh and pre logging your day can really be helpful. I pre log my treat into my day so I know I can enjoy it guiltlessly!
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    pre logging is number one best advice imo
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I don't have just one thing...
    First of all, eat the right amount of calories every day to lose/maintain weight. Or get as close as possible without obsessing.
    Prelog, but adjust for real life. Don't deprive yourself.
    Get moving every day.
    I'll eat everything I want, but not everything at once, and not all the time.
    Try to eat only at meals.
    Aim to eat some fatty protein and vegetable at every meal.
    I eat only foods I like.
    I accept that I will be feeling hungry before meals and trust that it's normal.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I don't have just one thing...
    First of all, eat the right amount of calories every day to lose/maintain weight. Or get as close as possible without obsessing.
    Prelog, but adjust for real life. Don't deprive yourself.
    Get moving every day.
    I'll eat everything I want, but not everything at once, and not all the time.
    Try to eat only at meals.
    Aim to eat some fatty protein and vegetable at every meal.
    I eat only foods I like.
    I accept that I will be feeling hungry before meals and trust that it's normal.

I agree with most of these. But what's wrong with snacking? The "try to eat only at meals" is bad advice.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    pre-logging

meal prepping

eating the healthy stuff before you have the unhealthy stuff

add more fruits and vegetables to your diet
  • reesrachel00
    Options
    chewing food slowly and savoring each mouthful, was given that piece of advice off here and it works
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    and i hate hate hate "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels." seriously, it makes me rage.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    coffee enema.

Don't knock it till you've tried it...
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    I agree with most of these. But what's wrong with snacking? The "try to eat only at meals" is bad advice.

Maybe it's just a language issue. A small meal is still a meal in my opinion. Maybe you'd call it a snack. I eat five meals a day. Snacking for me tends to lead to grazing. Grazing isn't good?

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Plan meals in advance and prelog them. As I am making my dinner I am packing and logging my meals for the next day. Also as I am making dinner I make sure to take out meat for the next days dinner.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    StacyMMo wrote: »
    I am sure this has been discussed a ton but I can't find one thread that has a bunch of tips. I just started on Jan 5 and am looking for tips for staying on track in losing weight. But I want tips that are beyond drinking more water and telling yourself that nothing tastes as good as skinny feels. So what is the one thing that has helped you the most? For me, it is cutting my food up before I eat into really small pieces. It makes you feel like you are eating more. Thanks!

Don't tell yourself that, because it's a bunch of crap.

What helped me: I'm not usually hungry in the morning, so I skip breakfast for a bigger lunch and dinner. It helps me manage my daily calories better. Also, I stopped doing just cardio and started lifting weights. That made a HUGE difference. Planning is key. If I don't know what I'm eating, I will start grabbing anything and everything. I also never go into the gym without knowing what my workout is going to be.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I've heard of some things. One woman said she always "plates" her food really nicely - so she'll use bone china and chargers, fancy cutlery and garnish for every single meal. This way every meal feels special and satisfying. She even did it at work.

Some people stack all their calories into one small snack and one massive meal.

Some people swear by using smaller plates.

You could eat everything with chopsticks to help slow down your eating so your "full" cues kick in while still eating. That wouldn't work if you're good at chopsticks though. Drinking a sip of water or putting your fork down every single bite also helps I've heard.

Some people like to give themselves a small treat per day if they did well haha.

There are lots :)
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    For me here's what works best - lots of these are repeats of tips already shared above.
    - digital scale to weigh and accurately log everything
    - pre-logging most of my meals
    - being super on track 80/90% of the time and flexible 10/20% - living my life!
    - don't rely on estimating calories based on other people's database recipes
    - restaurants are tricky and I tend to save them for my 10/20% flexible eats
    - I like being in the green. Sometimes five minutes of jumping jacks or walking on the spot does the trick to balance out my day
    - a few days a month in the red are totally worth it for life celebrations, occasions (things like Superbowl, parties, dinners out) - on those days I go way over and I don't care
    - once a week weigh in, otherwise I can get too wrapped up in the small increases