Why have I put on weight?!

Options
hi- wondered if anyone can help please. For the past 4 weeks I have cut out alcohol completely, stuck religiously to 1200 calories per day and have excercised every other day (brisk walk between 4-6 miles). After 2 weeks I lost 5lbs and was so pleased, but another 2 weeks later I've put on 2lbs?! Any advice gratefully received, thank you

Replies

• Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. Your weight will bob up and down, but should trend downwards. A two pound gain could be too much sodium the day before you weighed, a big workout the day before you weighed, anything. Don't worry about it and just keep at it!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    You might have seen an initial drop in water weight, and since then you may have had a salty meal or hormonal changes. Overall, you have dropped 3lbs in 4 weeks, which is a reasonable pace.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    That's just under a pound a week lost. Weight fluctuates - so I wouldn't panic too much yet.

Are you weighing all your food. Accurately tracking? Eating back your exercise calories - and accurately logging those? Logging everything you put in your mouth? Picking the correct entries from the data base?

If you want advice on your diary you should make it public.

(edited because I can't math :( )
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Hi! Are you weighing your food with a digital scale? You might want to make your diary public if you want feedback. :smile:

I agree with the above posters too - water weight is a possibility, plus you are not going to see a loss every week. Sad but true!
  • Cazza286
    Options
    Thank you, that's helpful. Another quick question please, should I eat back all the calories used by exercising? Sometimes say on a weekend when I burn a lot after a long walk it's impossible! I'll keep persevering
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    1200 calories may not be enough.
    Check out some of the tools provided here and adjust accordingly

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Whether or not you choose to eat the extra exercise calories is really up to you. If you're eating over 1200 calories, getting all of your nutrients and not feeling hungry or deprived, then don't. If you are feeling hungrier, then do.

As far as the initial post, keep doing what you're doing for another week or two. If you still are not seeing any loss then it may be time to reevaluate what you're doing. If you aren't weighing and measuring your food, you may be underestimating what you're eating.
  • Cazza286
    Options
    Thanks
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    if you are not using a food scale then you need to get one and weigh/log/measure everything...
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Don't know if it's relevant but I have a varying amount of weight gain ones a month. It disappears within a week, usually dropping a little extra. Hormones can be tricky!
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    keep on keepin' on............