Poll: Ideal Calorie Intake

Options
Female, 34 years old, 226lbs, 48.5% body fat. All my fat is in my stomach - giant tire around my waist.

How many calories should I consume to lose -2lbs a week?

I'm having a debate with colleagues, nutritionist friend, and friends. Some say 1360 is too high, some say too low, and one says it is just right.

Please help by placing your vote!

Right now:
Cal - 1360
Fat - 49g
Carb - 174g
Protein - 152g

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    My vote is that most people will find that sticking to the calorie goal that MFP gives to lose 2 pounds a week is very hard. 1360 is not very many calories. Often changing our goal to a pound a week means less falling off the wagon.

It is likely for your stats that it would put you at an appropriate deficit to lose 2 pounds per week. Eventually your body adjust hormones and metabolic processes, which means your weight loss will slow.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Unless you put that weight on at 2 pounds a week, you probably shouldn't be taking it off at 2 pounds per week. Slow down, healthy living is a marathon, not a sprint.
  • spingirl605
    spingirl605 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I think it's too low. I agree to see what MFP suggests for 1lb/week. I would not be able to sustain 1360, which is why I've increased mine to 1500. A smaller deficit, but a lot more manageable!!
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Even though I could lose 100 pounds, I couldn't sustain at 2# per week. Once I dropped down to 1# per week I was so much happier, and I've been able to stick with it for months.
  • lauraldrum
    lauraldrum Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    So far I've been full on 1360 calories. I haven't once been tempted to cheat. I'm so serious about losing weight. 1-2 lbs a week - I thought - was a healthier level of weight loss. My girlfriend is doing Medifast and she's dropping pounds like crazy, but their food would drive me insane. I love to cook - it's my hobby and it controls my anxiety - I get into an almost meditative state in the kitchen.

I really just want to get some of this weight off me and I didn't know if I was hindering my loss by not eating enough calories.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I think it is low.. I say start with a modest deficit about 10% ... but have you tried other calculators on line such as http://calorieline.com/tools/tdee and put your stats in there to see if it is similar to MFP?

Just a thought.. :):)
  • jamieben1824
    jamieben1824 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Too low, esp if you are working out. The key is also to keep satisfied by eating every 2-3 hours. Your metabolism will LOVE you
  • BeTheChange352
    BeTheChange352 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    it's all about the math. use Google to find a TDEE calculator, determine TDEE and subtract 1000 calories to lose 2 pounds per week.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    First, your body fat % seems really high. How did you measure it?

Second, 1360 calories isn't bad. MFP has be at 1200, I have me at 1300 and I generally land somewhere in the middle - and I eat a lot!

All of our journeys are a bit different. What may work for me, may not work for others and vice versa. Figure out what works for you - that's the winning answer.

BTW, I have a friend who did the Medifast for the last 6 months of last year. When you see the before and afters - what I notice most is how much older she looks now vs. six months ago. If you lose the weight slower, you give your body and skin time to catch up with you!

Good luck!

20757594.png
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    OP, how tall are you?
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    lauraldrum wrote: »
    So far I've been full on 1360 calories. I haven't once been tempted to cheat.
    This seems to be really common when people first start tracking and change their intake. If it's working for you now, that's fine, but you should be aware that it may change. If you start having strong food cravings or if your hunger really starts to increase, the best thing to do would be to reset MFP to lose 1.5 or 1 pound so you have some extra calories.

Be prepared for it to take a year or more to lose the weight. In the long run, it's not how fast you lose a few pounds that matters -- it's how long you can stick with it. If there comes a day when you can't stick with your 1360 calories, you'll need to change something or you won't stick with it.

One question: are you using the Recipe Builder tool to enter your homemade recipes? And are you using a food scale? If not, you're eating more than you think.

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    OP, how tall are you?

Based on the picture about 5'5". Even with a 4" variance on either side it would only adjust her TDEE 100ish calories.

• GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Is it just me or does the OPs F/P/C breakdown look off for that few calories?
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    GothyFaery wrote: »
    You're right, that breakdown is for more than 1360 calories. It looks like she pulled it from a day that already had exercise calories added.

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    GothyFaery wrote: »

I thought that too and was wondering if she customized MFP plan... Her diary is open and she is working well within these macros. D :|
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    OP, how tall are you?

Based on the picture about 5'5". Even with a 4" variance on either side it would only adjust her TDEE 100ish calories.

I was just curious - she's starting off where I started off, almost exactly.

I think if you're feeling okay right now on that amount, then you should stick to it. But, when you start getting hungry or crabby or whatever, don't be afraid to bump it up. When I started I found myself restricting a lot because I kept telling myself I felt full and satiated. Bumping up my intake made me a much happier person.

But the end goal here is to eat as much as you can while still losing weight.

Good luck.
  • lauraldrum
    Options
    I'm 5'4
  • lauraldrum
    Options
    Oops - you're right.

1360 Calories
    Fat - 38g
    Carbs - 136g
    Protein - 119

I have my fitbit synced to MFT but I don't eat my exercise.
  • lauraldrum
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »

One question: are you using the Recipe Builder tool to enter your homemade recipes? And are you using a food scale? If not, you're eating more than you think.

I am using the recipe builder and Calorie King to count the calories and macro nutrients. I also use a food scale.
  • kathryn2130
    kathryn2130 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It's different for each person but mine is around 1300 give or take a little
    AliceDark wrote: »

I am using the recipe builder and Calorie King to count the calories and macro nutrients. I also use a food scale.