Diet Coke

Options
Hello All,
Question about diet coke/pepsi. I started my weight loss journey on Jan 2. Im down almost 15lbs! I have lots more to do... like 80lbs! But before my journey i would drink regular coke pretty much all day long. Like WAYYYY more than the average person. I completely stopped drinking it, with an occasion sip here and there if my boyfriend is drinking it, just to get a taste. My question is, if I drink 1 can of DIET coke a day... is that horrible? I eat salads for lunch and i just feel sometimes i need something sweet to go with it... any suggestions? help...!!!

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I drink one or two cans a day. It's not going to stop you from losing weight.

I am going to caution you that if your weight loss slows down it has nothing to do with the diet coke and everything to do with the fact that you lost a lot of weight in the first month. Congrats on the success so far! Don't be discouraged when your loss slows down, it's normal and healthy.
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I drink one or two cans a day. It's not going to stop you from losing weight.

I am going to caution you that if your weight loss slows down it has nothing to do with the diet coke and everything to do with the fact that you lost a lot of weight in the first month. Congrats on the success so far! Don't be discouraged when your loss slows down, it's normal and healthy.

^all of this♡ I am a fan of diet cherry Dr pepper myself.
  • carlamenzione
    carlamenzione Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    do u think it will slow down a lot... because i am still really heavy.... (high 200's)
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Yep. Terrible.
  • rstepka925
    Options
    I would say from personal experience that drinking Diet Coke, or any diet soda for that matter, often leads me to crave sugar in a very bad way. I read somewhere that artificial sweeteners can do that. A good alternative I've found is flavored sparkling waters like La Croix. If I don't have a flavored sparkling water, sometimes a regular, plain sparkling water with a splash of your favorite fruit juice is a good alternative as well.
  • judymata
    judymata Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I quit sodas cold turkey. It was so hard but I did it and now just do water. I might add a slice or two of lemon and I find that so refreshing. Have you tried Spark? Its sugar free, has vitamins and is great!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I drink Diet Coke/Pepsi pretty much everyday. Hasn't hindered me at all.
  • eatsyork
    eatsyork Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I've heard some people say it stalls them but it hasn't been my experience. I drink more coke zero than I care to admit and I've been losing steadily with no problems (over 50 lbs in four months). I don't have any sugar cravings but a) I was never a sugar person and b) I've been eating quite low carb since September. You could always try it out and if it doesn't work for you cut it out at that point.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I think you would be just fine with Diet Coke.

You were drinking lots of regular Coke before, and that racks up a lot of calories. Now you are having a diet, which is about 0 calories.

Aspartame has been studied the crap out of. It's safe and doesn't do anything tricky with your metabolism, so you don't need to worry that it will have a detrimental effect on your weight loss.
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I love my DC and it does not affect my weight loss. As with ANYTHING moderation is key, just make sure you're still getting a good water intake.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    I drink Diet Coke/Pepsi pretty much everyday. Hasn't hindered me at all.

I drank it off and on while losing 95 lbs, and it didn't hinder me either.

I also did not find that I craved sweets because of it; in fact if I felt like eating something on occasion I'd be happy just having a diet soda instead. I'd say test it yourself and if it seems to provoke cravings, then it's not for you, but clearly it doesn't for everyone.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I love my DC and it does not affect my weight loss. As with ANYTHING moderation is key, just make sure you're still getting a good water intake.

The cool thing about DC is the main ingredient is water. Score.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Will it stop your weight loss .. no. Is it full of crap .. yes. I know many will disagree .. but as a former insane diet pepsi drinker, I am happy I no longer do it.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with diet coke besides it's nasty and coke zero tastes way better :)

It's never mattered to my cravings though I have found myself drinking it less and less as I go on, maybe just because I prefer water now? I don't know. I'm 41lbs down and like 87 to go so.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I pretty much replaced all the sweets I ate with Coke Zero. It actually helped me lose weight.
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Stick with Cherry Coke Zero. It tastes better.

All that stuff about it impeding you from losing weight is pretty much nonsense. I drink at least 2 cans a day and I've kept my weight off for 3 years.
  • searsvls
    searsvls Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the 15 pounds!!!!
    I love to have something other than water with my lunch as well. I like the Ice Sparkling Waters. I am not a fan of other types of flavored water but these have a little carbonation and don't taste weird at all. The cherry limeade and the orange mango are my favorites.
  • ErikThaRed
    ErikThaRed Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke will be good to help lose weight as the obvious lack of sugar in it, but Aspartame is really bad for you. I have the same problem, addicted to Coca-Cola as well, I would drink at least 6 cans a day most days. When I decided to turn my bad eating around I gave it up for a month... was tough but got over it and now when I get a craving every now and then I have one. But even though all that sugar is in a can of coke, I still take it any day over Aspartame.

See here for more info... and you can get a lot more info on the net.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/22810-dangers-aspartame/
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    You'll probably get a fair amount of responses that say never drink it. I'll just say that I drink Diet Coke, and it has never interfered with my weight loss. It does not cause me to crave sugar or anything else. I wouldn't say that it's without risks, because not much in life is--I'd just say do your research and go with what you feel comfortable with.
  • Athos282
    Athos282 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    It's better than drinking more than one can a day, but worse than drinking no cans a day. With thinks like that, sometimes it's better to take a gradual approach to getting off the stuff and sometimes it works better to go cold turkey. Keep yourself to one can / day for a while, and then move to one can every couple of days, one can a week, one a month, and so on. I have the occasional (maybe once or twice a month) and I can't see anything wrong with that. It also isn't going to kill any weight loss efforts to be moderate about your consumption.