Juicers

Options
i am new to the idea of juicing (like a complete virgin) and I've been looking at juicers but there are so many options. Can I get some recommendations on juicers and maybe even your favourite recipe?

Replies

• jojomomo36nzd
    Options
    Hi JuniperT!

We did try a juicer but decided that we were missing out on a lot of fibre and nutrients because juicers only deliver juice and there is a lot of waste of fruit and veggies. We decided to make the move to a blender instead so that we were getting the most out of every piece of fruit and the veggies that we were putting into it. At the start of the year we bought a nutra ninja (after reading reviews about this one and the bullet) which is a blender. It is awesome and very powerful and easy to use and a cinch to clean (way easier than our juicer that had like 7 parts to clean -aargh!).

Our favourite recipe is soy milk, 2-3 mango pieces (tinned or fresh), 1-2 peaches, 3 tbsp Greek yoghurt, 1/2 a banana, 1.5 handfuls of baby spinach leaves (don't freak out - you won't taste it), 4 or 5 ice cubes, fill to fill line and it will do enough for 2 glasses. It will come out orangey green, but it is delicious (well we think so!). You could use milk instead of soy milk. It blends this all into a smoothie, no lumps or bumps!! This is our breakfast and we don't feel like eating again until lunchtime, however our jobs are relatively sedentary so maybe if you have a more active job you might get hungry earlier. I am convinced that this blender, along with some other lifestyle changes, has helped me to lose 3 kg since 1 January this year.

By the way I've also blended frozen baby carrots, and made an awesome pea and wasabi soup using this blender - I love making soups using it. No more chopping, so you can make a soup in like 1 minute in the blender and then just heat it up in a pot on the stovetop or in the microwave.

I hope that helps! Good luck with whatever you choose. Youtube has some helpful video reviews of different blenders and juicers so that you can see products in action and learn a bit more about them.

Cheers!
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    God intended fruit and vegetables to be consumed whole. Removing part of the food/fuel is silly.
  • jadior
    jadior Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I just bought a ninja master prep, which is great. It's easy to clean, easy to store and was $70. I used my 30% off coupon so it was good deal.

I've used it every day to make "smoothies" I put in 1 cup of spinach, 1/c cup coconut milk, and whatever fruit I have. Its been some mango, some pineapple or an apple and about 3 ice cubes. You don't taste the spinach at all although the drink is green. I found it's a good "snack" between lunch and dinner when I want to eat everything in site. Very filling and healthy way to get my fruits in. I am not good at that.

• SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Blender is the way to go not juicer!

Vitamix and Blendtec are fantastic one, albeit on the higher end.

I could not live without my blender!
    Stef.
  • 01divey
    01divey Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    http://www.buynutribullet.co.uk/

cannot recommend it enough
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Definitely go with whole food smoothies versus just juice. You'll save money on food instead of throwing out some of the most important parts of it, you get the full benefit of it. I bought a Blendtec for Christmas. Worth every penny. I now drink fruits and vegetables that I would have never eaten. I make a morning smoothie for the two of us with homemade kefir, whatever veggie I have on hand (kale, chard, beet, broccoli), berries, maybe some pineapple or banana (have to watch the sugar), I may add some liquid egg white for additional protein depending on where I see my day headed or if I'm working out, and psyllium for added fiber. Getting enough fiber and protein can be a challenge for me. Rare days I add a touch of coconut oil or a few pieces of walnut..have to watch the saturated fats.

Anyway, I have a veggie/fruit/protein smoothie for breakfast every day now. For me it means I actually eat breakfast, and its fast.

A higher end blender like Blendtec or Vitamix will literally break down the cell walls of the fruits and veggies, ensuring you are getting the full juice and benefits, as well as the fiber.
  • elleinaDanielle
    Options
    God intended fruit and vegetables to be consumed whole. Removing part of the food/fuel is silly.

Do you eat shellfish, sir or madam?
    What about pork?
    Trimmed your beard?
    Gotten a tattoo?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Nutribullet rather than a juicer - keep all that healthy fiber and nutrients!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    +1 for smoothies over juice. Keep the fiber.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    If you do decide on a juicer go for one that is easy to use/clean and sturdy. I had a little cheap one that blew up one day while I was making beet juice - it exploded all over the kitchen and created such a ruckus even my deaf dog came running. It made for a great facebook post, but...

I bought a Breville stainless juicer for about $300 and love it. It is easy to clean and works beautifully and should not ever explode all over my kitchen...lol Some juice fanatics insist you need a mastigating (?) vs. centrifugal juicer for superior juice but they are often clumsy and difficult to work with. What good is it if it sits in your cupboard because you don't want to spend a half hour cleaning up later?

That said I have a Ninja blender that I got ridiculously cheap at WalMart one time for under $50 - they must have mis marked it because I have never seen it for under $80 - and I use that a lot to make smoothies. I make green smoothies more often than juice..

But sometimes I want juice. Or sometimes I will make the carrot/apple/celery juice and use it to thin out a green smoothie instead of water.
  • jfp420
    jfp420 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I am also a fan of smoothies and usually have one a day. I do have a Juicer but since I make juice infrequently I bought an inexpensive one, the Hamilton Beach Big Mouth, for about $40.00 at Target. It works fine and I am happy with it but am not sure if it would hold up as well as the more expensive models if used daily. I use it only about once every few week.
  • snickers6486
    snickers6486 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I currently use the Omega NC900 juicer and love it. By juicing the nutrients are absorbed into your system faster. At the same time your body does not need to spend energy digesting the pulp. Juicing is not meant to be a meal replacement. By using a masticating juicer which runs at slower rpm's it does not create the damage that a centrifugal juicer running at very high rpm can create. It is best to consume your juice as soon as possible for maximum nutrients. If you need to store, place in an air tight container like a mason jar. Typically you can store for 2 days with a masticating juicer. The storage using a centrifugal juicer is much shorter because the high speed imparts air into the juice. The air is what shortens the usable life. The blenders listed above especially the Vitamix are great for creating smoothies. Remember smoothies are not juicing. If possible it is best to do both. Each has it's own advantages and disadvantages.
    If you are worried about the left over pulp do a google search of "juicer pulp recipes" and you will find a variety options. I freeze the pulp to be used at a later time.
    If you are looking for recipes check out: https://juicerecipes.com/
    This is a great site that also gives you nutritional information.
    Regarding the NC900 juicer it is very easy to disassemble and clean. Along with juicing this can also make nut butters and extrude homemade pasta. We have also made sorbet's by freezing fresh fruit and running them through the NC900.
    I hope this information helped.
    Good luck in whichever way you decide to go.

• boycrazee
    boycrazee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    we LOVE our juicer - champion. watch the gerson miracle. or fat, sick and nearly dead... we've done a few juice fasts juice to shake it up (detox) but generally, we juice, or do green smoothies. one every few days is great !
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I currently use the Omega NC900 juicer and love it. By juicing the nutrients are absorbed into your system faster. At the same time your body does not need to spend energy digesting the pulp. Juicing is not meant to be a meal replacement. By using a masticating juicer which runs at slower rpm's it does not create the damage that a centrifugal juicer running at very high rpm can create. It is best to consume your juice as soon as possible for maximum nutrients. If you need to store, place in an air tight container like a mason jar. Typically you can store for 2 days with a masticating juicer. The storage using a centrifugal juicer is much shorter because the high speed imparts air into the juice. The air is what shortens the usable life. The blenders listed above especially the Vitamix are great for creating smoothies. Remember smoothies are not juicing. If possible it is best to do both. Each has it's own advantages and disadvantages.
    If you are worried about the left over pulp do a google search of "juicer pulp recipes" and you will find a variety options. I freeze the pulp to be used at a later time.
    If you are looking for recipes check out: https://juicerecipes.com/
    This is a great site that also gives you nutritional information.
    Regarding the NC900 juicer it is very easy to disassemble and clean. Along with juicing this can also make nut butters and extrude homemade pasta. We have also made sorbet's by freezing fresh fruit and running them through the NC900.
    I hope this information helped.
    Good luck in whichever way you decide to go.

Faster than what?? Is there a speed rating for absorption? Following this logic, how are they not just peed out if it's "that fast".
    This reads like spam.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

What about pork?
    Trimmed your beard?
    Gotten a tattoo?

Huh? I don't understand the significance but;
    Shellfish - no
    pork - no
    beard - I'm clean shaven
    tattoo - no

If you are insinuating that I am Jewish, the answer is no but I do value Jewish dietary and sanitary practices.
  • kissa714
    kissa714 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    dont buy a juicer. its expensive to juice things and no matter what the package says, a lot of the nutrients are lost in the juicing process. just eat the fruit/veggie instead.
  • bcm8605
    bcm8605 Posts: 14
    Options
    Personally I Love to juice. I consume raw fruits & veggies and other foods while juicing but I like the fact that I can get 8 plus veggies and fruits into my body in a sort period of time whereas if I tried to eat that much it wouldn't work for me.
  • ryanbrowning115
    ryanbrowning115 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I like the nutri bullet but honestly mine has been collecting dust. It takes time to prep for juicing and it just wasn't my thing. Good luck
  • snickers6486
    snickers6486 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Sabine, Sorry to here you disagree with my opinion but I enjoy juicing and what I wrote is not spam. As I wrote there are benefits to both. I was just trying to help people out.
  • chriszyogi
    chriszyogi Posts: 8 Member
    Options

What about pork?
    Trimmed your beard?
    Gotten a tattoo?