Starting to lose faith and only two weeks in!!

Options
On monday i was at 172 (i was at 175 last monday), then today of course after my work out (i work out at 430pm) i weigh myself because i felt like i gained weight, but of course i go on the scale and i'm up 176. I don't know what the heck is up but i just felt HORRIBLE because of it. I don't know if it's normal to go up in weight when starting or if it's hormonal (tmi i'm so so sorry), but now i'm completely discouraged :( has anyone else had this problem?

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say there is no such thing as tmi here. Especially when you're trying to pinpoint something xx
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates throughout the day. Choose one time to weigh (first thing in the morning after using the bathroom) and stick to it.
  • elenacolette
    Options
    Just wanted to say there is no such thing as tmi here. Especially when you're trying to pinpoint something xx

Thank you! i didn't want to feel too silly.
  • JennKoz529
    JennKoz529 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Weight can fluctuate so much during the day. I only weigh myself once a week because I started getting so discouraged with weighing myself daily. As another poster said, weigh yourself in the morning after you use the bathroom and before you have had anything to eat. Good luck and keep it up!!!
  • elenacolette
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Weight fluctuates throughout the day. Choose one time to weigh (first thing in the morning after using the bathroom) and stick to it.

I usually weigh myself in the morning, every monday but after my work out i looked in the mirror and my stomach looked bigger, so i was pushed with curiosity. I wish i didn't weigh myself.
  • sparklemommy4
    sparklemommy4 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes! Weigh in the am after you've used the bathroom in your nude or in a shirt just be consistent in what your wearing when you weigh. Also, step on once and that's it.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

I usually weigh myself in the morning, every monday but after my work out i looked in the mirror and my stomach looked bigger, so i was pushed with curiosity. I wish i didn't weigh myself.

Yeah, that's the reason why. Food and liquid intake, bodily movements, sodium levels, and yes, exercise can all make you fluctuate several pounds in a matter of a few hours. Don't worry about it, most likely when you get back on Monday morning you'll see a better number!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    If you weigh yourself at different times in the day, you'll find your weight all over the place because of what you've eaten, what you've had to drink, when you've used the bathroom, etc.

So for your weighins: be consistent. Whatever your routine, it needs to be the same time of day and in the same manner. Such as after waking & using the bathroom, nude before getting into the shower. Otherwise its like comparing apples to oranges.

Other than that, keep in mind this is a long term process. Weight loss is a side effect, with the primary focus on getting healthier, more fit. Set your goals so that you have a reasonable amount of calories to consume, yet still have a deficit, and think of those calories as a budget. Plan ahead/think ahead. And if your weight today is less than your weight 30 days ago, you're moving in the right direction.
  • karensmith410
    Options
    I know how you feel. I always do well for a week and lose a couple of pounds, then the chips call out to me from the kitchen cabinet and its back to square one. Not this time. Just started today! Hang in there!!
  • elenacolette
    Options
    I know how you feel. I always do well for a week and lose a couple of pounds, then the chips call out to me from the kitchen cabinet and its back to square one. Not this time. Just started today! Hang in there!!

I'm blaming being hormonal! I try to stay under sodium, sugar and fat intake, i mean unless something is sneaking up on me! I had my cravings of kettle potato chips today but i didn't do it! I stepped away.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Most of us (probably all of us) have a weight *range* instead of a single weight. Yes, even weighing at the same time every day under the same conditions. I generally identify a central point that my weight bounces around for awhile, then it starts bouncing around a point 1-2 pounds lower, and so forth.

That doesn't mean it feels great when the number is on an upward bounce, but at some point you just have to kind of laugh at the silliness and randomness of the human body. My very favorite moment is when I apparently "gained" 8 pounds in 16 hours. I am quite sure I did not eat 28,000 extra calories while sleeping and taking my dog to the vet.
  • jenniferbelfield33
    jenniferbelfield33 Posts: 2 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I weigh the least after work, and more in the morning. So maybe you weigh yourself at a bad time.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

One time I felt really full and decided to MEASURE my waist. An entire inch bigger. Gone in the morning. I have been doing this for awhile and always knew that weight fluctuates and yadda yadda yadda. But to see an entire inch bigger on my waist was just horrible feeling.
  • ElsaVonMarmalade
    ElsaVonMarmalade Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    A) The body is not a machine that always responds perfectly to intake and exercise.
    B) Both intake and what we expend through exercise can only be estimated carefully, not known exactly. (Even HR monitors estimate, and are much better at estimating burn for some activities than others.)
    C) If you keep doing what you're doing, you may succeed. If you quit, you are guaranteed to fail. I like the first option a lot better.

Good luck. Be patient & don't give up!
  • elenacolette
    Options
    Most of us (probably all of us) have a weight *range* instead of a single weight. Yes, even weighing at the same time every day under the same conditions. I generally identify a central point that my weight bounces around for awhile, then it starts bouncing around a point 1-2 pounds lower, and so forth.

That doesn't mean it feels great when the number is on an upward bounce, but at some point you just have to kind of laugh at the silliness and randomness of the human body. My very favorite moment is when I apparently "gained" 8 pounds in 16 hours. I am quite sure I did not eat 28,000 extra calories while sleeping and taking my dog to the vet.

That's exactly what i don't get! It's like hello, how did i gain 4 pounds in two days?! It's bad enough that i think if i eat a slice of bread i'll gain 5 pounds in a day but i've been doing SO good and staying under the intake with items i need to stay under. Still the number is taunting me even though that shouldn't be priority.

• elenacolette
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

One time I felt really full and decided to MEASURE my waist. An entire inch bigger. Gone in the morning. I have been doing this for awhile and always knew that weight fluctuates and yadda yadda yadda. But to see an entire inch bigger on my waist was just horrible feeling.

Exactly! Exactly. I mean yes i'm only TWO WEEKS in but i'm super hard on myself, i have my curiosities and sometimes they slap me in the face and makes me wish i just would of never been curious until my actual weigh in day.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Exactly! Exactly. I mean yes i'm only TWO WEEKS in but i'm super hard on myself, i have my curiosities and sometimes they slap me in the face and makes me wish i just would of never been curious until my actual weigh in day.

It's okay. You get curious, you freak out, you post on here and learn...and then you understand and can watch for the trends, or decide to only weigh yourself once a week at the same time and under the same conditions.
  • elenacolette
    Options
    A) The body is not a machine that always responds perfectly to intake and exercise.
    B) Both intake and what we expend through exercise can only be estimated carefully, not known exactly. (Even HR monitors estimate, and are much better at estimating burn for some activities than others.)
    C) If you keep doing what you're doing, you may succeed. If you quit, you are guaranteed to fail. I like the first option a lot better.

Thank you! Yes i have to remember that it takes time and it won't always give me the results i want the day i want them. After seeing that number i wanted to quit! I wanted to just give in and say screw it but i talked to one of the best motivators i have and they told me to keep going and i'm doing great. I just need to be patient and relax. Not stress out like i am! Oh 23 year old me :|

• royaldrea
    royaldrea Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    My weight usually increases by at least 3-4 lbs when my period is on. Plus I get bloated. I know it's coming when my waist looks splooshy (and I bite everyone's heads off and cry at commercials...). Maybe you experience this as well?

Even if you don't, don't make your weight the central marker of your progress. Judge yourself based on how well you regulate your diet and control your relationship to food. Whether your clothes are fitting a bit better. If you're exercising, whether you've gained strength or endurance. Or just by your ability to stick with a plan even when you're really frustrated and unmotivated! There's so much you can gain from making a consistent effort to improve yourself, as long as you approach it from a place of self-love and not self-loathing.

Despite all of that, if you continue to eat well (hopefully in moderation and paying attention to your macronutrients etc) you will eventually see results and the scale will go down (or maybe it will go up a bit because you're strength training and you've gained muscle - but if you're smaller and look fit, who cares about a few pounds?).

Keep at it and don't give up!!! Your response in times of adversity is what separates the champions from everyone else.
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    If by hormonal you mean aunt flo, then it's completely normal to be up a few pounds. Also, like a lot of people mentioned, you should weigh yourself the same time of day every week/2 weeks (however long between you want to do it). Also, try taking your measurements. You can lose inches and not lbs sometimes especially when being very active.