Anyone else sleeping less from healthier eating/exercising?

Options
I noticed that since I've been clean eating and exercising, I'm sleeping an avg 6-7hrs solid or 9hrs restlessly, nevertheless I still feel refreshed and energized in the morning and no symptoms of being tired the rest of the day.

Is this normal? I used to sleep like 9-10hrs zonked out before clean eating and exercising, and now my favorite part of the day (sleep) has shrunken.. Lol. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this.

Replies

• VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    It used to be hard for me to crawl out of bed and I would hit snooze multiple times and now I hop out of bed and I am surviving on 6-7 also whereas before that never would have seemed enough. I used to be a regular napper too but not anymore.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    If anything, I think I have been sleeping more since I started to care about diet and exercise. I don't know if it causes more sleep or it is just correlated because I am more aware of my health and make sleep more of a priority than I did before. Probably the later.
  • allie_00p
    allie_00p Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough? Overtraining and/or undereating can negatively impact your sleep.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    No, I sleep less because of hot flashes. lol. It just may be a natural shift for you at your age, you sleep more when you are younger.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    In 2013, I would have agreed. Right now though my sleep is worse, but that probably has to do with having an 8 month old who still wakes up multiple times a night.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I sleep about th esame but the sleep I get is sooo much better.
  • YumiZoomi
    Options
    elsie_fair wrote: »
    Are you eating enough? Overtraining and/or undereating can negatively impact your sleep.

I am eating enough and I am eating the recommended calorie goals set by MFP (2lbs per week). Is it a negative impact that I sleep less? I don't wake up groggy or tired.. and I don't feel tired the rest of the day even with my workouts.. I had one day in the past month where I felt I needed a nap but besides that.. just sleeping less, sometimes restless.. but I have tons of energy.. which is why I don't seem to be able to sleep a lot.
  • allie_00p
    allie_00p Posts: 280 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    YumiZoomi wrote: »
    elsie_fair wrote: »

I am eating enough and I am eating the recommended calorie goals set by MFP (2lbs per week). Is it a negative impact that I sleep less? I don't wake up groggy or tired.. and I don't feel tired the rest of the day even with my workouts.. I had one day in the past month where I felt I needed a nap but besides that.. just sleeping less, sometimes restless.. but I have tons of energy.. which is why I don't seem to be able to sleep a lot.

10hrs is quite a bit of sleep to get everyday, so if you feel great on a little less sleep, then awesome!

For me, insomnia is usually an indicator that I'm not fueling myself well enough. :):cookie:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Your cortisol could be higher. This is a hormone, rising levels of cortisol wakes you up in the morning. As with different hormones in our bodies, they are affected by diet and exercise. Too much cortisol is not good. But if you are feeling fine, then I wouldn't worry about it unless it is causing adverse symptoms.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I sleep less than I used to, and have way more energy. I can rarely sleep in even when I try.
  • AllTheNoms
    AllTheNoms Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'm sleeping a lot less due to waking up multiple times in the night. I used to be able to sleep through just about anything whereas now I wake up because I'm thirsty, need the restroom (thanks to all the water I drank!), or am sore from whatever abuse my trainer inflicted on me. I also wake up well before my alarm because my mental gears are turning in excitement for the new day.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Definitely need less sleep due to weight loss and exercise. Sleep apnea is in remission at the moment as well. Often only need 6.5 hours of sleeping. Even when I "sleep in" on a weekend I'll be done sleeping at 7.5 hours.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I never have a problem falling asleep. Sometimes I have a problem staying asleep if I haven't eaten enough in the evening. When this happens I get up and eat something small with Protien in it and I'll sleep for the rest of the night.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Do you workout prior before going to sleep? Digestion process also can keep some from sleeping soundly.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • YumiZoomi
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Do you workout prior before going to sleep? Digestion process also can keep some from sleeping soundly.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I usually workout between 11a-2pm.. Somewhere in there... And its all cardio.. This week I added weights in the PM between 6-7pm. Four days a week I have doubles. On those nights I eat dinner at 8pm.. is that too late?
  • tjcuts339
    tjcuts339 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I also have noticed.a considerable.differences in need for sleep 6 hours at one session. That's. Max .I also do 40min or more cardio daily. Early am before work. Feel ton more energy never need the weekend xra slsleep needed before.I started daily. Workouts. A response. Above talk about the stress hormones. To much of this is bad so when you need a day or two of skipping the gym your body will tell you Take no more than 48 hours. So you dint lose core strength. You have building.
  • alltheweigh170
    alltheweigh170 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I have been having these issues as well. Have not been able to figure out why.
  • Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Options
    Exercise supposedly tires you out, at least it does for me if I workout for an hour or two or two and a half, because sometimes I need a nap, healthy eating, hmm I don't know.
  • jessieleah
    jessieleah Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Nah, I sleep 8-9 hours per night. I fall asleep A LOT faster (like.. 5 minutes or less) since I started working out.
  • tjcuts339
    tjcuts339 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    YumiZoomi wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I usually workout between 11a-2pm.. Somewhere in there... And its all cardio.. This week I added weights in the PM between 6-7pm. Four days a week I have doubles. On those nights I eat dinner at 8pm.. is that too late?
    Exercise supposedly tires you out, at least it does for me if I workout for an hour or two or two and a half, because sometimes I need a nap, healthy eating, hmm I don't know.
    tjcuts339 wrote: »
    I also have noticed.a considerable.differences in need for sleep 6 hours at one session. That's. Max .I also do 40min or more cardio daily. Early am before work. Feel ton more energy never need the weekend xra slsleep needed before.I started daily. Workouts. A response. Above talk about the stress hormones. To much of this is bad so when you need a day or two of skipping the gym your body will tell you Take no more than 48 hours. So you dint lose core strength. You have building.