Diet Coke

Options
13»

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    UnasAquila wrote: »

The only actual study linked was done in rats and mice, mine above was humans as well as a wide variety of animals. The rats and mice were also given doses far greater than an average human ingests in a day.

The other "studies" linked were either hypothesis or showed little difference.

Mercola extrapolates the data to make it seem like things are worse than the study indicates.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with diet coke, except that diet Pepsi tastes better.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with diet coke, except that diet Pepsi tastes better.

Came in to post this... you beat me to it haha.

OP: Like others have said you will be fine with diet soda. I've been drinking diet soda and have still managed to lose weight. ( I understand anecdote stories don't replace peer reviewed studies ;) ) Congrats on the first 15pounds. I wish you the best of luck :)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with diet coke besides it's nasty and coke zero tastes way better :)

It's never mattered to my cravings though I have found myself drinking it less and less as I go on, maybe just because I prefer water now? I don't know. I'm 41lbs down and like 87 to go so.

This (except Diet Dr Pepper > Coke Zero >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Diet Coke)

I have a can every evening with dinner and a 24-ounce bottle on Sunday mornings to wake me up. The aspartame fearmongering doesn't get to me, and I don't feel tempted to overeat like some.
  • michaelcynarski
    Options
    If you want a coke a day and can maintain that in your healthy diet, go for it, word of advice Never Drink diet soft drinks, its literally the trans fat of the pop world, take the real good stuff, and leave the chemicals away.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If you want a coke a day and can maintain that in your healthy diet, go for it, word of advice Never Drink diet soft drinks, its literally the trans fat of the pop world, take the real good stuff, and leave the chemicals away.

1275389857_naked-gun-facepalm.gif
  • usmcmp
    Options

Do you read ingredients and look up scientific studies on them?
    443.jpg
    Only differences are aspartame (I linked studies showing it was safe already) and potassium benzoate (which is used in lower concentrations than suggested in this study ec.europa.eu/health/ph_risk/committees/04_sccp/docs/sccp_o_015.pdf )
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit = weight loss. Are you maintaining a deficit? If yes, weight loss will follow. If no, weight loss will not follow. Diet coke has no calories in it. Therefore, diet coke does not slow weight loss.
  • Bobbiezilla
    Bobbiezilla Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    ErikThaRed wrote: »
    jkwolly wrote: »
    do u think it will slow down a lot... because i am still really heavy.... (high 200's)
    Did you not read ANY post above this?!

SMH.

There were only two posts before that, why the negativity... i hate these forums cause of people like you... don't post at all if you're going to be negative. SMH

You might want to read actual studies on aspartame instead of just articles about it.
    cspinet.org/new/pdf/aspartame912.pdf
    ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17828671

Thanks for the great studies! One of my pet peeves is the fear mongering around aspartame. Reliable scientific studies from reputable sources hold a lot more weight than magazine articles and stuff you can dig up on the "interwebs" from questionable sources. BRAVO. Don't even get me started on the difference between Monsanto and GMO's! lol Monsanto is a company who definitely engineers plants to be resistant to herbicides, but some GM plants can be useful from extending the growing season, being drought resistant, or increasing yields NATURALLY. We've been breeding plants to increase specific traits since Mendel. Its not always about roundup and cancer.

But that's another can of worms!! Ha ha ha
  • cwhomewood
    cwhomewood Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the aspartine advice as occasionally I do get people telling me I shouldn't drink Diet Coke, which I have done for years, since the mid-80s, was on about 4-5 cans a day but my manager a couple of years ago got me down to 1, and recently not always been having that, it was always my lunchtime treat, but at the mo, been drinking flavoured sparkling water and then having diet cloudy lemonade as my treat.

My concern is one that hasn't been covered here much yet, hydration. My tipple of choice is Pepsi Max, which I read has the highest caffiene level of any coke. Now when I drank coke I thought it must at least be hydrating me as its liquid, but have more recently been told that caffiene dehydrates you, so am I even getting that benefit, and if it is your main drink are you getting enough water?
  • usmcmp
    Options
    cwhomewood wrote: »
    Thanks for all the aspartine advice as occasionally I do get people telling me I shouldn't drink Diet Coke, which I have done for years, since the mid-80s, was on about 4-5 cans a day but my manager a couple of years ago got me down to 1, and recently not always been having that, it was always my lunchtime treat, but at the mo, been drinking flavoured sparkling water and then having diet cloudy lemonade as my treat.

My concern is one that hasn't been covered here much yet, hydration. My tipple of choice is Pepsi Max, which I read has the highest caffiene level of any coke. Now when I drank coke I thought it must at least be hydrating me as its liquid, but have more recently been told that caffiene dehydrates you, so am I even getting that benefit, and if it is your main drink are you getting enough water?

There's not nearly enough caffeine in a can of coke to dehydrate you. You should still drink water.