Need help getting into the right mindset

Options
So I want to lose a few pounds. But I'm having a hard time getting into the right mindset to remain self Aware and avoid sugary and high carb snacks.
Does anyone have any suggestions or tips? I only get roughly three hours of sleep per night, which I'm sure doesn't help, but that isn't negotiable either. So I need other suggestions, if there are any. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• tebmsw
    tebmsw Posts: 2
    Options
    Why are you only sleeping 3 hours per night?
  • glasshalffull713
    glasshalffull713 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    You will have a hard time losing weight on only three hours of sleep because your cortisol levels are probably sky high. Also lack of sleep makes you release less leptin (a hormone which decreases appetite) and increases ghrelin production (the hunger hormone).

All that being said, remove sugary and high carb snacks from your house. Have healthy, nutritious, low cal snacks available. Plan meals and snacks- whenever I wing it I tend to go off my plan. Also, incorporate some treats into your week otherwise you will feel deprived. Another good one is when you have a craving, try drinking a glass of water first and waiting 15-20 minutes. Try eating more protein and fat. You will feel more satiated and may not have as many cravings.

Best of luck to you but you should really nurture yourself with the sleep your body needs as well.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Buy only healthy snacks...some sweet, some cold, and some salty. Portion them out in plastic bags..and put into a large container. Take only 2 out a day...then 2 snacks of fruits and veggies.. Drink room temp water, so its not such a shock to your system. Think of water as like a vitamin. Drink "sleepytime tea" its herbal and it puts me into a frame of mind to sleep. Don't play tech games until late at night, your brain is working overtime and overstimulated. Just quiet activities. Reading etc. I also "shut down" the kitchen after I clean it up. No one in Especially Me.
  • NormalMichael
    NormalMichael Posts: 6
    edited January 2015
    Options
    A handful of unsalted mixed nuts and a bottle of water for them cravings at strange times.
    More important, eating at least 3 meals and at the right times.
    Breakfast as soon as you get up. A couple of eggs. Maybe oatmeal (not instant) with fruit and honey, maybe add some cinnamon.
    Get fresh or frozen veggies instead of canned.

Just little things that can help you start. Then maybe finding time to hit the gym for an hour or 2 a few nights/days per week.

Do some strength training then finish with some cardio.
    Oh! Try taking a shower ( a bit on the cool side) right before going to bed. Change the body temp slightly getting it ready for sleep.
  • chantallemariewi
    chantallemariewi Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of the help! I only get about three hours each night because I keep myself awake working on my college homework since it's the only quiet alone time I am able to have. In addition I am woken up early in the morning by my little one.

I eat lots of fresh vegetables and fruit, almonds, whole wheat crackers, and I've always been a big water drinker. I have a huge weakness for sugar especially as I begin to feel draggy and tired from the day.

I don't have a lot of weight that I want to lose, but enough to make me feel uncomfortable with where I am currently. I will certainly utilize the given advice. I'm not sure how to maintain a constant level of self awareness so that I am able to always make healthy decisions. It seems like I reach for unhealthy snacks out of a strong craving for the item, or just without much thought put into the selection- other than it's easy.

Thank you again!