What do you do when you can't find nutrition facts?

Options
I'm headed to a business dinner at Paladar Latin Kitchen tomorrow and I can't find nutrition facts anywhere online. Google has betrayed me! :)

What do you do when this happens? A lot of the dishes are complicated and have many elements that are tricky to add separately.

Replies

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I usually just google the dish I plan on eating and finding several generic calorie counts - then I pick the highest one and use that. Every time you go to a restaurant, it's sort of a crap shoot anyhow, IMO.
  • reesrachel00
    Options
    I usually just google the dish I plan on eating and finding several generic calorie counts - then I pick the highest one and use that. Every time you go to a restaurant, it's sort of a crap shoot anyhow, IMO.

That's what I do as it would be most likely the highest one ... then some more! Or if I eat out I intend eating as healthy as possible any other meal for that day, like vegetable stir fry, to keep everything else as low as possible

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I eat the thing anyways
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Find something equivalent in the database, knowing it will probably be completely off, lol.
  • RosieWest8
    RosieWest8 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I either try to Google the dish (calories in 'chicken pad thai) or whatever and use what I find to be an average estimate. Sometimes I'll just search on MFP and choose maybe 5 to see how many calories it says and choose one that's in the middle and use that.

Everything here is pretty much just estimation anyway (food calories and calories burned). Some of more educated estimations but in general you'll be close enough that it's not going to effect you in the long run.

For example, I stopped at a little grocery this morning before work and bought a 'southwest chicken wrap' from the deli. It has the ingredients listed on it but I have no idea how much so I just searched 'southwest chicken wrap' on MFP and used one that seemed to be in the middle. I found one that said it had like 800 calories and one that only had 200....so I think I chose one that said it had like 545. I may be wrong but at least I'm logging some of it and I'm pretty consistent most of the time so I'm not worried about it throwing a wrench in my weight loss plans. Just do the best you can.
  • teaspoon43
    teaspoon43 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Haha thanks guys, planning on estimation... So glad dinner the night of my weigh-in so I have a whole week to burn off the mystery calories :)
  • lindzgayle
    lindzgayle Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Email the customer service for that restaurant (at the home office/corporate). They probably have it available to them, but don't make it public.
  • teaspoon43
    teaspoon43 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Great idea, thank you!!!
  • lindzgayle
    lindzgayle Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    teaspoon43 wrote: »
    Great idea, thank you!!!

My pleasure. Enjoy your meal! :)