PCOS

Options
I knew all my life Something was abnormal but last March I got diagnosed with PCOS. I've always been overweight- amongst other issues- but being overweight was my main issue. Hopefully I can stay motivated and lose the weight because I am frustrated with trying. Metformin helps in a way but it doesn't do the job. So I am here to finish this battle.

Replies

• chill3568
    chill3568 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It is hard with PCOS sometimes to keep motivated, but you need to continue on to a healthier lifestyle. You just need to wrap your mind around the fact that weight loss will be slower, but totally doable. Don't give up. You can do it!
  • jotianaw
    jotianaw Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    chill3568 wrote: »
    It is hard with PCOS sometimes to keep motivated, but you need to continue on to a healthier lifestyle. You just need to wrap your mind around the fact that weight loss will be slower, but totally doable. Don't give up. You can do it!

Thanks a bunch for you're encouragement! It means a lot for me to have support and motivation and to know I'm not in this alone.

• Sameeraaaxx
    Sameeraaaxx Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hey :smile:

I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2nd year college so around 19. Im now 23. It was only when I typed into google all my symptoms that it continually came up with PCOS. An ultrasound later confirmed this. I was merely told by my doctor to go on the pill to regulate my periods. I did this for a while, however later looked into it and found that it may not the best option in the long term so I completely came off it altogether.

After this I never really gave the PCOS much thought. I ate what I wanted and it didn't really bother me. Occasionally, I would google PCOS, read stories on its terrible effects and then feel completely like crap which then led me to eat more!

It was when I graduated from Uni that people kept saying Id put weight on. It was only September 2014, that my weight got to me ALOT. I was always the chubbiest in my group of friends who were stunning, slim and had such beautiful thick hair!

I started losing weight in September 2014. I started off at 10 stone 7 pounds which for someone whose 5 ft 3 wasn't the ideal weight!

Skip forward to Jan 2015, I'm down to 9 stone!

After reading so many things online, I was convinced it would be way to difficult to lose weight with PCOS to the point where in the first week of starting the life change, all I had for lunch was kiwi. I also missed tea a few times. In the first week alone I lost 5 pounds, however it wasn't the best way to go about it.

A few weeks into it and you learn what foods are best for you. I eat out once a week because I didn't want to deprive myself of any foods. For me, the biggest thing was cutting out the burgers and chips whilst doing a desk job!

Im still able to enjoy a Nandos and burger and chips, without having to worry about putting weight on aslong as your doing it within reason.

Typically, I eat healthily and under 1200 calories in the weekday.

For the weekend, that's when I usually have a cheat day, though i don't go completely overboard. Instead of eating a full tub of pringles, id eat 25g.

Also i think exercise played a huge role in me loosing weight. All I did was a lot of walking. i initially started off walking from work which took 45 minutes. eventually it started getting darker, so i invested in a treadmill.- whether it be 10 minutes on a treadmill or 45, its all exercise.

I wouldn't stress about it all. Its more of a lifestyle change rather than a fad diet.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask :smiley:

• oearl20
    oearl20 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am with you guys. I am happy to say I lost 15 pounds just by eating clean and working out. I had to be honest with myself and I told myself I wont let my PCOS effect me. Its hard but I push thru it
  • jotianaw
    jotianaw Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hey :smile:

I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2nd year college so around 19. Im now 23. It was only when I typed into google all my symptoms that it continually came up with PCOS. An ultrasound later confirmed this. I was merely told by my doctor to go on the pill to regulate my periods. I did this for a while, however later looked into it and found that it may not the best option in the long term so I completely came off it altogether.

After this I never really gave the PCOS much thought. I ate what I wanted and it didn't really bother me. Occasionally, I would google PCOS, read stories on its terrible effects and then feel completely like crap which then led me to eat more!

It was when I graduated from Uni that people kept saying Id put weight on. It was only September 2014, that my weight got to me ALOT. I was always the chubbiest in my group of friends who were stunning, slim and had such beautiful thick hair!

I started losing weight in September 2014. I started off at 10 stone 7 pounds which for someone whose 5 ft 3 wasn't the ideal weight!

Skip forward to Jan 2015, I'm down to 9 stone!

After reading so many things online, I was convinced it would be way to difficult to lose weight with PCOS to the point where in the first week of starting the life change, all I had for lunch was kiwi. I also missed tea a few times. In the first week alone I lost 5 pounds, however it wasn't the best way to go about it.

A few weeks into it and you learn what foods are best for you. I eat out once a week because I didn't want to deprive myself of any foods. For me, the biggest thing was cutting out the burgers and chips whilst doing a desk job!

Im still able to enjoy a Nandos and burger and chips, without having to worry about putting weight on aslong as your doing it within reason.

Typically, I eat healthily and under 1200 calories in the weekday.

For the weekend, that's when I usually have a cheat day, though i don't go completely overboard. Instead of eating a full tub of pringles, id eat 25g.

Also i think exercise played a huge role in me loosing weight. All I did was a lot of walking. i initially started off walking from work which took 45 minutes. eventually it started getting darker, so i invested in a treadmill.- whether it be 10 minutes on a treadmill or 45, its all exercise.

I wouldn't stress about it all. Its more of a lifestyle change rather than a fad diet.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask :smiley:

Your story was helpful. Since I work and attend college I barely have time to hit the gym unless it's the weekend. So, I plan on purchasing a treadmill for easy 10 minute workouts because a small amount of exercise is better than no exercise at all. I am now prepping my meals weekly. I appreciate you sharing your experience and hopefully we can motivate one another.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Try the PCOS group here on MFP. Lots and lots of good info, help, friends, diet information, supplement info, etc for PCOS. Its a horrid syndrome but it is manageable with diet and lifestyle changes.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/3070-p-c-o-sis