How do I get serious?

Options
13»

Replies

• acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    riverq1 wrote: »
    I keep telling myself that I'm going to lose the weight but I never stick with it. I weigh 350 pounds and probably gaining more. What can I do to get more serious about it?

Plain and simple - you have to want it. If you don't want to do it, no amount of tips or tricks are going to kick your butt into doing it. You have to want it, want it for yourself.
  • csalter61
    Options
    Unfortunately it is hard, but I started by always writing down (I keep a piece of paper or small note book handy) what it is that is difficult for me to do or I simply cannot do because of my weight and I keep the list by my bed side and look at it and read it aloud. I have also a list of what I will be able to do when I lose weight and I read those aloud in the morning and night. Keep after it!
  • lisac195
    lisac195 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I think that you just need to start here. Log your food and your exercise. Just do it. If I don't log my food I know I will not lose. It isn't as tough at you have made it out to be in your mind.
  • Pootler74
    Pootler74 Posts: 223 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Small steps. Really small. And then build on them.

I've been working on this for a year. Actually quite a few years - I used to be about 20 kilos heavier than I was when I started logging on MFP.

So, small steps, and build on them. For example, I started by eating all the usual stuff, but making half my plate at each meal consist of the lower calorie fruit and vegetables; for me, that was anything but bananas, avocado, potatoes, beans, peas and sweetcorn basically. This was for two reasons - veggies made me feel generally better. And all those veggies filled me up. I didn't deny myself any of my 'bad' foods. I just ate lots of good foods along side them.

(Later I learned that by eating enough protein I could stop myself craving 'bad' foods, overeating and bingeing. I'm not that interested now in the foods that I used to crave, the ones that triggered binges. I can have chocolate in the house and NOT NEED TO HAVE IT ALL IN MAH BELLY RIGHT THIS MINUTE. )

The next step was to move more. I wanted to do Couch to 5k, but that seemed impossible. So instead of running for 30 minutes, I went walking for 30 minutes, and made the commitment to do that 3 times a week. It's not much. You can even break it up into smaller chunks of ten minutes. Then I added in intervals of walking as fast as I could. After three months of that, I wasn't quite ready for running for 1 minute - which feels like a long freaking time at first. But I could sort of slowly jog at a brisk walking pace for 30 seconds. C25K is a 9 week program. It took me about 6 months to get to where I could 'run' for 30 minutes. Small steps. :-)

And the next step is the hardest - learn to pick yourself up quickly right after you fall. That means starting again tomorrow at first. And work up to starting again at the next meal. Forgive yourself. Be kind to yourself. This is the only body you have. Ok, it might not be fabulous right now, but you have to love it anyway, with all its wobbly bits. Why? Because hating it leads to negative emotions, and negative emotions often lead to overeating on dopamine fix foods full of fat and sugar. That's a nasty downward spiral. Honestly, when you are kind to yourself and the body you have now, you'll find it easier to work towards the body you want in the future.

Work out WHY you want to eat the cake/chocolate/doritos. Pay attention to it. It's often nothing to do with hunger. Work on the reasons behind the craving.

This is a long journey, take it slowly and you'll start to find things to enjoy about it. When I was at school and always the last, wheezing, aching, exhausted, breathless one back from horrible cross country runs, I never thought I running could be a fun thing to do. Why would you do that to yourself? Ugh. But I look forward to it now. I also enjoy finding ways to make cake fit my macros. :-)

Do these three things and you WILL start to feel better mentally and physically. And hopefully that feeling will become addictive and lead you to make more changes.

And once you've managed those three it won't seem like such a big step to tracking calories in and out. Everyone on here will tell you it's as simple as making sure you eat fewer calories than you burn. Because it actually is that simple, really. You can still have cake/chocolate/doritos. There are no bad foods. You just need to make sure that if you are having cake today, at some point today or tomorrow maybe, you need to create meals that have fewer calories so that you don't go over your allowance. You'll find that a big chunk of lean meat and some stir fried veggies or salad will satisfy you just as well as a Big Mac meal.

• jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I have this problem frequently. I've been on and off MFP for about two years now. Certain things help me get back on board:
    - Reading about weight loss. Success stories do nothing for me, but I have a hungry intellect, so reading about research, learning more about how the body works, any well written diet book (even if I disagree with the conclusions) is going to fuel my interest in weight loss.
    - Focus on one thing at a time. Years ago, I was successful at eliminating the practice of adding sugar to coffee or tea. Some time after that, I managed to eliminate soda - not forever, just long enough that it's extremely rare for me to want any. Than again I quit fast food long enough that I don't really like it anymore - I still eat it, when I don't have time for anything else. But I don't crave it any more. These are all small wins that made each return to dieting that much easier. Earlier this year I built up habit of eating more vegetables and meal planning. When I resumed dieting a couple months ago I started with one rule: homemade meals only for two weeks. I can't say I really followed it :p , but that small effort kicked off all my other efforts quite nicely.
    - Just log your food. This is a habit that you have to build to control your calories. Sometimes, making good food choices becomes less of a drag than weighing and logging food. So, if you just decide to log all your food for a month, without any restrictions, you'll be building a useful habit. Then, what often happens, is seeing what you're actually eating becomes the catalyst for seriously wanting to make changes. Similarly, you can start weighing yourself and recording that too. That can be a helpful catalyst as well.

I suggest you start trying some of these, and then do some soul searching and make guesses about your own catalysts. Like others have said, nobody can really tell you how to do this, the ideas above are just what works for me.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    For me, I just decided I was going to do it. I don't know how to get someone else to do the same thing. In the words of Yoda, you either do it or you do not. There is no try. If you aren't going to be serious, I would suggest that you shouldn't attempt it at all. If you do, you will just fail and end up worse off than before.
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    If you do, you will just fail and end up worse off than before.

That's not necessarily true - the "worse off than before" part. I've "failed" several times. But then the next attempt is always more successful. So the attempt actually made me better than before.
  • jenmovies
    jenmovies Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    Realize that it does not have to be this hard. There's no reason to label food as "bad" much less throw it away...
    You are absolutely right, but some foods are triggers to binge. I really haven't given much up, but I have my trigger foods for sure! :wink: Doing what you said is definitely easier, making sure you are eating at least 20% below your calories for the day. I think health can come later. For me, I can't keep trigger foods in the house. I just don't have that kind of self control (maybe one day)!

• jenmovies
    Options
    turtlez23 wrote: »
    You just gotta start and take it one day at a time and don't try to rush yourself!
    This is great! Even one hour at a time, and before you know it, it's a routine and you're starting to feel a lot better.

• jenmovies
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Just turn your baseball cap backwards. That's when you know stuff just got real. For serious bro. It. Is. Now. On.
    haha I love this! I need to take your advice. Cap, backwards!

• dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I tend to disagree (for me anyway) with the start small changes advice.

I guess I tend to be an addictive personality, all or nothing type. I'm a month in to my weight loss process, and I've invested in a fitness tracker, a gym membership, running shoes, clothes, etc. Not to mention time and effort. I feel invested now. I have skin in the game. I've passed the point where I can just say "screw it" and walk away.

I was also north of 300 lbs. Have been on the border between obese and morbidly obese literally since age 12. At 35 years old, my knees and hips and back hurt me often than they should. I'm more tired and have less energy than I should.

I looked down the road to where this path goes at age 50... And the path probably doesn't make it to 60, and if it does, it is probably taking daily injections for diabetes like my father, and with pretty poor quality of life.

How do you start?

I don't know. Both times I've done it, it just clicked in my head that I have to change this. From there, it really isn't that hard. You just do the work.

I'm sure you, like me and most everyone here, are tired of being the fat person. Tired of feeling bad. Tired of avoiding certain activities and social situations that require, say, swim wear. Tired of having to pay extra money for clothes that you don't even like.

Just decide. Either stay the way you are, or fix it in your mind what you really are. From there, your body will conform to your expectations.

Id say good luck, but you don't need it. All you need is will, work, and maybe a little support.
  • jenmovies
    Options
    I found this on another forum and thought of you, thought it might be really useful. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1 Good luck again! You can do it!
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    tigersword wrote: »
    Listen to Nike and Just Do It. There really is no other way.

This. I started on a random Friday last April, at 375 lbs. I've lost 134 lbs so far.

You really just have to go for it.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I keep telling myself that I'm going to lose the weight but I never stick with it. I weigh 350 pounds and probably gaining more. What can I do to get more serious about it?

You don't ask us. We can't make you do it no matter what we say, right?

It all starts with you.

• Pootler74
    Pootler74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    jrose1982 wrote: »
    If you do, you will just fail and end up worse off than before.

That's not necessarily true - the "worse off than before" part. I've "failed" several times. But then the next attempt is always more successful. So the attempt actually made me better than before.

Ditto. I learned something every time I failed. This is by a long shot, and in many different ways, my most successful attempt yet. It's like the pieces have all fallen into place. All those small steps and missteps got me somewhere, eventually. :)
  • callyart
    callyart Posts: 209
    Options
    You have to want to do it.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Get sick and tired of being sick and tired and get a backbone instead of a wishbone. If you're not sticking with it, it's because you're not committed to it. And commitment comes from being consistent and daring to take on the challenge.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

agreed,excellent advice.
    also, go see your doc and they will give you help and advice as well as 350 other reasons why you NEED to lose weight to live a healthy life.
  • apple173
    apple173 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Alot of great advice already given. You have to want to do it for yourself. Make small changes you know you can achieve and commit. You can do this. Good luck. You will get lots of support here.