Help! Are my macros wrong?

Options
Hi there,

I'm not new to MFP but I've restarted this year and been really thorough since the New Year and have also begun training for the Dublin Marathon in October. For the first 2 weeks I was following a high protein/fat ketogenic diet to shift the christmas weight, I managed to lose 10lbs and then switched to a seemingly healthy diet keeping in or around my 1200 allowance (often over but only to the limit allowed by my cardio)

I lost a further 3lb but then I have now put on 1.5 again. I don't really know what the percentage of each nutrient I am supposed to be eating but it's working out at a fairly even three way split on the pie chart on my app.

I have porridge for breakfast, a healthy lunch with some carbs and then protein and veg for dinner.

Am i just stalling because I've re-introduced carbs or am I doing something wrong.

I really hope someone can advise as I want to stay motivated.

(my profile is public in case anyone wants to analyse!!!)

Thanks in advance

Replies

• Paul_Collyer
    Paul_Collyer Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back exercise calories? When I trained for a marathon last year I did this but made the mistake of believing the Strava calorie burns and actually put on a bit of weight.

I'm using more conservative calorie burn calculations direct from my Garmin watch this year, so will see how it goes.

One thing I know is that marathon training makes you VERY hungry. Your food intake sounds sensible though. No point in dropping carbs too low if you are running a lot. For what it's worth I am getting by ok on 35% carbs, while running around 50km a week.
  • Pocabella
    Pocabella Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hey Paul,

Thanks for the reply :) I'm new to the training, as in I couldn't run for more that two minutes at the beginning of the month. I'm following a plan laid out by the asics website and am currently at the 2 mile mark (about 25 mins) 5 times a week (about 16k a week) but that is rising weekly. I'm about to head out for a run and incorporate some sprints to try and raise my heartrate cos I found yesterdays run didn't get it as high as it had been.

I'll keep an eye on it for a week and see what happens!

• Pocabella
    Options
    O I
    Are you eating back exercise calories?

I forgot to answer that, I have been eating back the calories a bit but that is only bringing me to about 1400 a day. Not going to eat them back today though and for th4e rest of the week.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    what time frame have you gained in? it could be due to change in training, hormones or sodium

that said, I am not marathon training and I lose weight happily at 50% carbs or so ... I wouldn't worry unduly about your macros
  • Pocabella
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    what time frame have you gained in?

I was steady at 163.5 for the last few days and then today I was 165. I should probably avoid the scales except for a weekly weigh in.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Healthy lunch? That's a very vague term, numbers matter here.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Pocabella wrote: »
    what time frame have you gained in?

I was steady at 163.5 for the last few days and then today I was 165. I should probably avoid the scales except for a weekly weigh in.

it's not fat gain

it may be water gain - exercise change-up, hormones or sodium

ignore it

you can weigh daily if the fluctuations of up to 5lbs don't wig you out - but if they do then once every 2 weeks to once a month
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Water retention.
  • Pocabella
    Options
    Healthy lunch? That's a very vague term, numbers matter here.

Sorry!! :) I was in a hurry. Ok lunches for the previous three days

Yesterday

Tuna mayo (extra light mayo) in wholemeal wrap with sweetcorn, red onion and lettuce, plus two rice cakes
    Total cals 498

Tuesday

Whole bell pepper stuffed with tuna mix
    (mix made of 112g tin of tuna, 40g extra light mayo, 80g red onion)
    5 garlic stuffed olives
    1 large orange
    Total cals 329

Monday

Wholemeal wrap stuffed with
    Mashed avocado
    Slice of serrano ham
    130g roast chicken meat
    70g red onion
    15g fresh leaf spinach
    Total cals 646 (man that wrap was tasty!!!)

• Pocabella
    Options
    [/quote]

it's not fat gain

it may be water gain - exercise change-up, hormones or sodium

ignore it

you can weigh daily if the fluctuations of up to 5lbs don't wig you out - but if they do then once every 2 weeks to once a month [/quote]

OK thanks for the reassurance :)

• Pocabella
    Options
    Just went for a two mile run and added five interval sprints of 15 secs each so I feel awesome now and less irritated by what the scales told me this morning.

<3 endorphins :smile:
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    You said you followed keto for two weeks, then more balanced for about 2 weeks. Any low carb eating will cause you to lose a lot of water if you do it short term. Also, any new calorie reduction program can do the same thing in most people. The normal fluid retention cycle for people cutting their calories is about 4-6 weeks of bigger than normal drops in weight, a stall or small gain in weight, then normal drops in weight as your body finally adjusts itself and holds on to a normal amount of fluids.

What is your average per week, and how does that fit into your goal? I would wait another week or two before considering doing anything different, like not eating back exercise calories. Your body just needs time to stabilize.

To see the actual percentages, go to My Home -> Goals -> Change Goals Next to the box with the actual number of macro grams is the percentage.
  • hanymamdouh
    hanymamdouh Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Hi Pocabella,

You should eat 1gm of protein for each pound of your weight, 30% of your daily caloric intake goal of healthy fats, rest are carbs. For example; my weight is 137lb, I'm in phase of toning/building muscles and losing some extra pounds of fat. Here are my macros:

My RMR = 1500 kcal/day (that is my daily goal in order to burn extra fat under skin)
    Protein: 140g (whic is 140 * 4 = 460 kcal/day)
    Fat: 0.3 * 1500 = 450 kcal (which is 450 / 9 = 50g of fat/day)
    Carbs = 1500 - 460 - 450 = 590 kcal/day (which is 590 / 4 = 147.5g of carbs/day)

in brief, my daily macro are:

Protein: 140g
    Fat: 50g
    Carbs: 147.5g

Hope I could help
  • Pocabella
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

What is your average per week, and how does that fit into your goal?

DO you mean my average calorie intake per week? Thanks for all the other info, really helpful :)

My average for last week was 1300/day , week before was 1500 and this week I'm bang on 1200. I'm supposed to be eating 1200 a day but am earning about 250 on the days that I run (5 days a week)

• Pocabella
    Options
    Hi Pocabella,

You should eat 1gm of protein for each pound of your weight, 30% of your daily caloric intake goal of healthy fats, rest are carbs. For example; my weight is 137lb, I'm in phase of toning/building muscles and losing some extra pounds of fat. Here are my macros:

My RMR = 1500 kcal/day (that is my daily goal in order to burn extra fat under skin)
    Protein: 140g (whic is 140 * 4 = 460 kcal/day)
    Fat: 0.3 * 1500 = 450 kcal (which is 450 / 9 = 50g of fat/day)
    Carbs = 1500 - 460 - 450 = 590 kcal/day (which is 590 / 4 = 147.5g of carbs/day)

in brief, my daily macro are:

Protein: 140g
    Fat: 50g
    Carbs: 147.5g

Hope I could help

This is mega helpful!! I'm gonna go calculate my one now, thanks so much :)
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    that should be 0.8 to 1g of protein for each pound of LBM (not overall weight)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

What is your average per week, and how does that fit into your goal?

DO you mean my average calorie intake per week? Thanks for all the other info, really helpful :)

My average for last week was 1300/day , week before was 1500 and this week I'm bang on 1200. I'm supposed to be eating 1200 a day but am earning about 250 on the days that I run (5 days a week)

Sorry, I meant your average weight loss per week, and how does that compare to the goal you set when you set up your MFP profile?

After going through the water loss - water gain - water stabilize cycle, many find that their weekly average is very close to what they were trying to achieve in the first place and the concern over the week or two of no loss was not necessary.

• Pocabella
    Options

What's LBM?? (sorry I'm a total novice at the analytics side of my own nutrition!)

• hanymamdouh
    hanymamdouh Posts: 123 Member
    Options

What's LBM?? (sorry I'm a total novice at the analytics side of my own nutrition!)

Lean Body Mass (your mass without counting fats)
  • Pocabella
    Options

Lean Body Mass (your mass without counting fats)

Aaahh, and how do I calculate that!! I wouldn't say my LBM's shooting the lights out, I'm predominantly squishy.